Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dot

Ultraviolence - Possible Recording Timeline?

Guest Dot

If you check the way the songs from Ultraviolence were registered, you'll notice this:

46233687 Cruel World (Stranathan)
46233688 Pretty When You Cry (Stranathan)

46233689 Fucked My Way Up To The Top (Heath)
46233690 Ultraviolence (Heath)

46233691 Brooklyn Baby (O'Neill)

46233692 Money Power Glory (Kurstin)

46233693 Florida Kilos (Auerbach / Corrine)

46233694 Guns & Roses (Nowels)
46233695 Sad Girl (Nowels)
46233696 Shades Of Cool (Nowels)

46389724 Fine China (Nowels)
46389275 Yes To Heaven (Nowels)

If you look at the order it could be quite possible that they were ordered by writer/recording session

Session 1: Cruel World / Pretty When You Cry (recorded with Blake during the Paradise Tour?)

- > "You set the tone for the whole record with 'Cruel World' and 'Pretty When You Cry' "

Session 2: Fucked My Way Up to the Top / Ultraviolence (The "Trans Am" session with Dan Heath)

-> tumblr_mhc8xomE4C1rxxyobo1_500.jpg

(late January 2013)

Session 3: Brooklyn Baby (& maybe Summer Wine) (with Barrie)

-> April 2013

Session 4: Money Power Glory (probably recorded during the time when Emile started to post pictures of his session with Lana. Maybe he did a demo version of MPG as well, because it sounds a lot like BTD)

-> BcMtQ8-IYAE4xax.jpg

(December 2013)

"Violet Princess" -  Lana said that the title, "Ultraviolence" was conceived because of it's similarity to the world "ultra-violet"

Session 5: Florida Kilos (written with Auerbach, while re-recording tracks written with Nowels)

Session 6: Guns & Roses (new Nowels song for Ultraviolence?)

Session 7: Sad Girl / Shades of Cool / West Coast (re-recording sessions of old Nowels tracks with Dan A.?)

-> February 2014

Wasn't she going to work with Lou Reed for Brooklyn Baby? Considering he died before the collaboration, and that was late October, BBY could be from around that time, much later than April... just a thought

ZmJh1LG.jpg

Wasn't she going to work with Lou Reed for Brooklyn Baby? Considering he died before the collaboration, and that was late October, BBY could be from around that time, much later than April... just a thought

She had already written the track at that point.

:heart:  :heart:  :heart:

If you look at the order it could be quite possible that they were ordered by writer/recording session

Session 1: Cruel World / Pretty When You Cry (recorded with Blake during the Paradise Tour?)

- > "You set the tone for the whole record with 'Cruel World' and 'Pretty When You Cry' "

Session 2: Fucked My Way Up to the Top / Ultraviolence (The "Trans Am" session with Dan Heath)

-> tumblr_mhc8xomE4C1rxxyobo1_500.jpg

(late January 2013)

Your proposed timeline doesn't make sense to me. According to Lana, she mostly had writer's block and the album didn't really come together until December 2013 when she recorded the whole album at Electric Lady Studio before re-recording it with Dan Auerbach in 2014:

Finally, in December 2013, I spent some weeks in the Electric Lady Studio in New-York , while I was recording alone my whole album with Blake Stranathan ( her regular guitarist) and a session drummer . My model of sound was the Eagles! At that moment, I met Dan and he said what I made sounds to " classic-rock " and then we redid everything in Nashville, in 6 weeks and most of the time live.

It's also notable that "Pretty When You Cry", which you list early in your timeline, credits Lee Foster, owner of Electric Lady Studios, as a producer.

Also, while it's possible the guy on the couch in the background could be Dan Heath, the main guy in the photos from that "Trans Am" session who's clearly running the show is Rick Nowels. It also took place at Rick Nowels' personal studio. Nowels is not credited on any of the tracks Heath is credited on.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Your proposed timeline doesn't make sense to me. According to Lana, she mostly had writer's block and the album didn't really come together until December 2013 when she recorded the whole album at Electric Lady Studio before re-recording it with Dan Auerbach in 2014:

Is there a place on LB that addresses the timeline for Hollywood, JFK, AFFA, Starry Eyed, and possibly Black Beauty? I got the idea that they were "outtakes" from Paradise, but couldn't they all have been the start of an album that fell by the wayside when they were leaked? That was definitely true of Black Beauty. What I'm trying to get at is whether she actually did have writer's block after Paradise. Regardless, it's amazing to me that she got the blueprint for UV so fast.

Is there a place on LB that addresses the timeline for Hollywood, JFK, AFFA, Starry Eyed, and possibly Black Beauty? I got the idea that they were "outtakes" from Paradise, but couldn't they all have been the start of an album that fell by the wayside when they were leaked? That was definitely true of Black Beauty. What I'm trying to get at is whether she actually did have writer's block after Paradise. Regardless, it's amazing to me that she got the blueprint for UV so fast.

The thread that covers that topic and my pedantic ranting about the inability of anyone to define wtf they even mean by the term 'outtake' is here.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

This is a very interesting idea i'd like to know the real answers too. I just want to know which songs were recorded in that "Trans-Am" session. My guess is at least Guns and Roses, as it has those stacked vocals she talked about early on

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

This is a very interesting idea i'd like to know the real answers too. I just want to know which songs were recorded in that "Trans-Am" session. My guess is at least Guns and Roses, as it has those stacked vocals she talked about early on

I'd venture a guess toward AFFA and Black Beauty, but not all the Nowels tracks because she said that he sometimes stopped in on Electric Lady studios as she was recording there in December. But Guns and Roses is also done with Lee Foster, just like PWYC, so it seems it was at least finished at Electric Lady...

Guest Dot

It's also notable that "Pretty When You Cry", which you list early in your timeline, credits Lee Foster, owner of Electric Lady Studios, as a producer.

Also, while it's possible the guy on the couch in the background could be Dan Heath, the main guy in the photos from that "Trans Am" session who's clearly running the show is Rick Nowels. It also took place at Rick Nowels' personal studio. Nowels is not credited on any of the tracks Heath is credited on.

I was really just guessing, but I'm very interested in knowing what clues we have in order to recreate a timeline, because I find those really interesting, especially once we have the demos.

i'm amazing 

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey