Sign in to follow this  
Macintosh Manhattan

Lana Mix-Tape Help

My mate who I go to college with is starting to get into Lana Del Rey and she asked me If I can make a Mix tape/playlist of some of her tracks. She like me has an eclectic taste in music and doesn't mind slow/fast songs. I want to make a mix tape of Lana offical releases before I introduce my mate to Lana's vast unreleased back catalogue.I want to inc songs from BTD/PD/UV eras I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what's the best tracks to put on a mixtape?

Thank you :)

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

My suggestion would be:

Born To Die (one of her signature songs)

Summertime Sadness (most known one)

Video Games (the break-through song)

Blue Jeans (so beautiful and also one of her signature songs)

National Anthem (good example of her "hip hop beat" vibes)

Dark Paradise (many here don't like the song, but I still think it is one of her popular songs many people know)

Million Dollar Man (another song she often plays live and it really shows her songwriter talen)

Without You (very popular song, even people who are not big fans like it)

Ride (her "magnum opus")

Cola (common, everyone has to know this line!)

Blue Velvet (shows her retro-vibes, and it's a very popular cover bc of the commercial)

Gods & Monsters (good example of her "dark and doom" -vibes)

Young & Beautiful (very popular song)

West Coast (next big hit)

Old Money (UV's Without You)

Florida Kilos (example of one of her more upbeat songs)

Ultraviolence (second era)

Shades Of Cool (very well recieved song with bond vibes)

and maybe also Brooklyn Baby and/or Off To The Races.

Because this are lots of "signature" and most popular songs and they show the different styles she uses.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

By my most listened

Black Beauty

West Coast

Florid Kilos

Flipside

Summertime Sadness *urrrr i used to hate this song but now i'm ok*

Video Games

Blue Jeans

National Anthem

Million Dollar Man

Radio

Gods & Monsters

American

I would do...

Black Beauty

Summertime Sadness (Extended Radio Mix)

Burning Desire

West Coast

Ride

Brooklyn Baby

Flipside

Million Dollar Man

Without You

Once Upon a Dream

Video Games

Bel Air

Blue Jeans (String Intro)

Cola

Shades of Cool

Off to the Races

Cruel World

Also loads of help to be had in the playlist thread.

@@Rebel has a fantastic playlist in the Your Favourite Lana Playlists thread, which really encompasses all of her best released songs imo. It's well worth a listen for any newish fans.

It's about four hours long though, but I'm glad you like it. I'm obsessed with it and proud of it (even if @@SitarHero disagrees with some of my wise/amazing/flawless decisions in the sequencing) and anyone who really wants to listen to a good Lana playlist should check it out! It's 90% released stuff with a few unreleased gems/AKA tracks in there. 

tumblr_ni9eu5I7Qh1qzmb8eo5_500.png

Guest Dot

Well...knowing he/she is someone who's trying to get into Lana I'd suggest presenting him/her some of the song that are easier to get into.

1. Summertime Sadness - This has pretty much kicked Video Games from it's spot as Lana's most commonly known track. Eventhough the remix ended up being more recognized than the original. It's still one of those songs that new fans would instantly like.
  2. Young & Beautiful - Well I think this one might be tied with SS as her most popular song. It's not necessarilly one of her standouts or most well-written songs but it's a nice song to listen to when you're getting into her music.
  3. Cola - Such a classy and truly iconic song. No one could pull off an opening like that with so much as class as Lana does. The song however clearly transcendents it's opening line and is overall a very catchy and hypnotic song.
  4. Without You - I remember listening to this song for the first time thinking about how glamorous and vulnerable it was. My god this song goes straight to the heart and really hit me back then. It's just so so so beautiful and somehow tragic. It's pure Lana. It's the whole LDR persona in a nutshell.
  5. National Anthem - And here goes another "Rey" song. This is another song that pretty much all her twitter fans know and adore along with SS and it really doesn't go far beyond that but again it's probably one of those songs that your friend might instantly like? Not sure but he/she should like it because it's perfect.
  6. Blue Jeans - This song is probably one of Lana's most covered songs along with Video Games and Blue Jeans and it's definitely one of her signature songs. Hypnotic, sensual and kinda weird and melancholic. Definitely one of her most iconic and gorgeous songs. Also very easy to sing along to and kinda catchy.
  7. Video Games - Her first single might not be for everyone but it's really worth a listen and who knows maybe your friend enjoys it more than I think he/she will.
  8. Ride - This song is one of her most beloved among LB fans (see results of the LB 100 poll). I don't like it that much but then again it's a single and a quite popular one among YouTubers and thus shouldn't be left out imo.
  9. Born to Die - This song took me a while to get into but just like Ride it's one of her most popular songs and the video is beautiful and perfect. It's good and definitely worth a listen.
  10. Brooklyn Baby - One of her most well perceived songs off of her latest record and kind of in the same vein as Cola and SS but more fun and not as melancholic. It doesn't make her look depressed or suicidal, you know... :toofunny:
  11. Black Beauty - One of her BEST songs ever! Haters gonna hate this osng is everything! The lyrics are perfect and the polished version pretty much slays the demo version. It's just perfect. Very dark and sad but very very beautiful and mesmerizing.
  12. Million Dollar Man - One of Lana's performance favourites. You can tell she just loves this song and it shows a more jazzy and glamorous side of her. The vibe of this song is just ugh...imagine her singing this on top of a piano giving us Jessica Rabbit teas! :hair:
  13. West Coast - I absolutely loathe this song but yet again it seems to be quite popular among LB fans and it's the lead single of UV and thus shouldn't be left out.
  14. Gods & Monsters - You can tell I kinda went from her GP friendly and sing along songs to some of her darker and moody song. This song is the perfect example for that. It's very dark and almost goth imo. It's also the heart of the TROPICO film so there goes that.
  15. Blue Velvet / The Other Woman - Either one of them. Depending on which you prefer. They're both covers and bothe very vintage and retro and that's something that should appear on this list at some point I guess.
  16. Florida Kilos - One of her more fun and upbeat songs. Nough said.
  17. Old Money - It's one of those really soft and eerie tracks that just makes you think you're walking on clouds. I was gonna put Bel Air here first but then I thought that this song might be a bit easier to get into.
  18. Money Power Glory - It's kind of a mix of a lot of songs. Very rock/jazz and it has a nice sing-along chorus.

These songs are not too "weird" and very easy to sing along to imo. They encompass a vast variety of musical stiles vocally and sonically and are not as hard to get into as some of the fan favs like "Off to the Races" for example.

Oh and if you didn't enjoy Rebel's playlist that much you can check out mine as well. It follows the story told by Lana during her Ride monologue as well as the moods and musical styles of her songs and it's just perfect, really. Not trying to sound sneaky and arrogant but if I say that something I've done is perfect, I really mean it because I'm a very self-critical person.

http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/topic/795-your-favorite-lana-playlists/page-23&do=findComment&comment=202631 :teehee:

Guest Dot

Very nice list ULTRA, but how is MPG jazz?!?

Ugh I was thinking about Sad Girl while writing this...

Ugh I was thinking about Sad Girl while writing this...

Haha, kk :D I already wanted to say something like "The only jazz-like things she's done are some recent MDM performances and the Sad Girl verses"  ;:D

'cause i'm getting really annoyed by people (not refering to you, but there are a lot) who keep on talking about how jazz-y UV is and everything ... just because Lana's new favourite word is"jazz" that doesn't make her music jazz :brows:

A former class mate talked to me about Lana at a party yesterday and asked me if I could burn her a CD with "the essentials", cause she knows I like her. This is what I gave to her (wanted to include Body Electric too, but only had 1h and 20 min CDs :creep: )

ew7qycs6.png

I'm surprised no one included "Once Upon a Dream." Gotta have that one in there! It really showcases Lana's lower register and the haunting quality that few can pull off so well. Plus, Angelina Jolie hand-picked Lana to sing that song, so your friend should be able to see why. :)

Born To Die

The lead single from BTD and one of her most iconic too!

Off To The Races

A masterpiece both lyrically and melodically and very catchy.

Video Games

One of her most well know songs and also one of her best in my opinion. It's also easy to sing along to!

Carmen

While many people don't like this song it's one of my favorites! I also think it's a very important song lyrically and one of her most autobiographical!

Ride

Another one of her most well known songs and it has and amazing video too!

Cola

The opening line is iconic and it's also one of her most catchy songs! It's always one of the first songs I show people because it's dark without being depressing!

Gods & Monsters

This song is probably one the most easy to sing along to and one of her darkest too! It is (like UV said) the heart of tropico and all in all an amazing song!

Yayo

A truly amazing song and a fan favorite! The paradise version is in my opinion the best!

Bel Air

A very dreamy and beautiful song and listening to it feels literally like paradise!

Young And Beautiful

While this is not one of my favorites, it's one of her most well known and critically acclaimed songs...

Cruel World

Lana's favorite and one of mine too! I love the bombastic and dramatic chorus with those lifeless repititive verses...

West Coast

The lead single from UV and one of her most critically acclaimed songs ever! It's also maybe the chorus she has ever created!

Sad Girl

This song is a melodically masterpiece and I love everything about it! It's also her most jazzy song.

Old Money

Really Beautiful and amazing lyrically!!! It is very similar to Bel Air but easier to song along to!

Brooklyn Baby

A very catchy song and I love it! Just the way she pronounces "amphetamine" deserves a spot on the list!!!

I AM MY ONLY GOD