Spac3gypsy

Lana & Gaga : The Jazz Era

Listen to Lana's albums carefully. The jazz influence is all over the place! Her vocals specially, jazzy and bluesy...

"The Other Woman" version, that's Lana's type of jazz!

Gaga is singing standards, Del Rey pens jazz-inspired songs. There's the difference.

Darling .. just ... no.

The Other Woman is a jazz song. But Lana's version is no jazz version.

Nothing on UV has anything to do with jazz. The only thing where you could see a vague jazz influence with lots of goodwill is Sad Girl, but that's it.

My parents are big jazz fans, so I know how jazz sounds, how different classic and less classic versions of jazz sound. Lana's music has 0 to do with jazz.

There is this difference between "influence"  and "inspiration" which lots of fans have missed.

Go ask anyone who is not a Lana fan if he hears jazz influences. he will laugh at you. Y'al are reaching for this because Lana keeps on brabbeling about jazz. But just because she loves jazz music and because it's one of her new favourite words, this won't magically add jazz influences to her music.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Lana is 100% more jazz than Gaga. Singing mainstream jazz standards is the thing that dancebands here in sweden have done several decades. Indie/ jazz/Rock/ballads is ultraviolence. I like Gaga, but she's EDM disco style. I mean Miles Davis is jazz also.

Yeah, not so much on UV, but there's certainly a jazzy vibe on her vocals on her earlier recordings, official and unreleased. Hawaiian Tropic for instance... It is a strong influence, Lana got mojo!

Darling .. just ... no.

Nothing on UV has anything to do with jazz. The only thing where you could see a vague jazz influence with lots of goodwill is Sad Girl, but that's it.

My parents are big jazz fans, so I know how jazz sounds, how different classic and less classic versions of jazz sound. Lana's music has 0 to do with jazz.

There is this difference between "influence" and "inspiration" which lots of fans have missed.

Go ask anyone who is not a Lana fan if he hears jazz influences. he will laugh at you. Y'al are reaching for this because Lana keeps on brabbeling about jazz. But just because she loves jazz music and because it's one of her new favourite words, this won't magically add jazz influences to her music.

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

Oh and I wasn't brainwashed by Lizzy.I love oldies, blues and singers like Ella Fitzgerald, Edith Piaf, Billie Holiday and Peggy Lee, among others. I listen to most everything, rock, pop, folk, metal, disco...

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

Oh and I wasn't brainwashed by Lizzy.I love oldies, blues and singers like Ella Fitzgerald, Edith Piaf, Billie Holiday and Peggy Lee, among others. I listen to most everything, rock, pop, folk, metal, disco...

Same here. I listen mainly to classic rock and old jazz and did so long before Lana. UV's instrumentals are clearly influenced by jazz fusion.

Lmao about everyone fighting here! This is a Lana del Rey fan site, people are taking this too seriously.

All I said was I think it's interesting that they are both preaching about Jazz in the exact same points in their career. That can't just be a coincidence. Either one is copying the other, or the mentor they have in common told them both to try Jazz right now.

Who cares if it's not exactly what you think Jazz is...that's what music is...it evolves, changes, grows, etc.

And to the person who said Jazz has been a trend for 4 years...I BEG to differ. Please give me a few examples of this ever popular "Jazz trend" in the last 4 years. It's been a while since jazz has influenced music, unfortunately. At least main stream music.

You do know they had the same mentor...right. It's not far fetched. And I'm not saying anyone is "pulling ropes". The music industry is all about controlling artists though...it's sad you don't see that.

At this point Interscope wishes they had controlled Gaga's career and mouth. Her career would probably be in a better shape. Applause is catchy as hell and Donatella and Manicure are great, besides that Artpop is crap. You can't possibly think that album with the titles as shown was a label influencing Gaga and not Gaga getting her way. It's far from commercial pop and radio friendly as it can be, we are talking about America here and I can't see radios playing or being able to give radio time to songs like Swine or Sexx Dreams. Gaga also did a collab with a pedo, that probably made her marketing team want to commit collective suicide. That's not a label or one person controlling her, that's Gaga running around loose, with a very long leash fucking her career up.

Jazzy Gaga was great for her in many ways, image included. Plus her voice suits Jazz pretty well, she's so tolerable when she's quiet just singing with her hand occupied playing a piano, she should stay there for a while. Cheek to Cheek is a good album, credit should be given when credit is deserved.

UV is another album far from radio friendly in US, actually most of Lana's material is not what US radio craves, what I don't get is how she and her team don't get that. I'm not saying for her to change in any way, just saying Lana should've understand by now that 90% of her material is not single radio material and critics wont praise her as much as she wants and deserves. About the mentor, I have no idea who is this mentor you talk about. Who is??

Anyway, I think Gaga and Lana share a lot of similarities for many reasons, including music background. They probably have a similar CD collection. Both are visual artists, with a underground NY in their veins, both have huge mouths capable of spill some iconic BS and play the victim after seeing that the iconic sentences was in fact BS and both are very talented. Both craved and crave fame, both crave to be deserving of such fame in different directions, but relevance, applause and credibility is fundamental for both. The Fame Monster bites both in the ass when they saw that for critics pop artists are Born to Die.

The difference imo, between Lana and Gaga is that Lana is living up to her potential and Gaga isn't. 

glgcDdT.gif

and some people obviously want Lana to be jazz-influenced so hard that they will just repeat it until they believe it themselves.

A lot of rock is jazz influenced. In LDR's case, she does a lot of slow scatting (Brooklyn Baby, Shades of Cool), which is definitely something I could see as being closer to Ella Fitzgerald's style than Lady Gaga's. Lady Gaga appreciates jazz too, although I don't know if she does any scatting outside of her Bennett collab.

Also let's not forget AKA, For K part 2, Mermaid Motel, and Yayo, seem pretty jazz-oriented to me.

Well as we know, Lana could give a shit about being on the radio. She had to fight with her label to keep most of the ultraviolence songs on the record.

On the other hand, I truly believe that Gaga cares very much about being the best pop artist and having number one hits on the radio. I think she didn't listen to her label about what to put on her album and it did horribly. Like you said, I think she's doing damage control with this Jazz thing.

Also, I don't know the name of the mentor but Lana has talked about him in multiple interviews.

Well, if y'all are insisting ... In my opinion the jazz-connection is reaching on high levels, because it's nothing that obviously strikes you when you listen to ANY Lana Del Rey song, But I guess opinions are opinions.

Still I think it's wrong to associate Lana to jazz. I am not a Gaga stan, but IF one of them is actually doing jazz music, it's Gaga. I can see rock influences, alternative, indie and pop influences for Lana, but no Jazz connection.

Once a Madonna medley act & artflopist, now a self-declared jazz back-up singer for a man who is as old as Methuselah.  :creep:

:rip:

Darling .. just ... no.

There is this difference between "influence"  and "inspiration" which lots of fans have missed.

Jazz Fusion is actually jazz elements mixed with several others like rock/funk/pop/EDM/ Classic music. That's what I understand for Jazz Fusion tho. Was a really strong trend/wave in South America from 4 to 5 years now. 

Once a Madonna medley act & artflopist, now a self-declared jazz back-up singer for a man who is as old as Methuselah.  :creep:

:lmao:

Once a Madonna medley act & artflopist drag tribute, now a self-declared jazz back-up singer for a grandaddy who is as old as Methuselah.  :creep:

ffy

glgcDdT.gif

Jazz Fusion is actually jazz elements mixed with several others like rock/funk/pop/EDM/ Classic music. That's what I understand for Jazz Fusion tho. Was a really strong trend/wave in South America from 4 to 5 years now.

ok I agree with you in this point. If you are really searching for JF elements in her music you may find them at some points. But that would mean she has influences from a genre which is influenced by jazz. But that was not the subject, was it? People claime there are Jazz-Influences all over the place and that she does her own kind of jazz on UV. However, the only reason they believe this is because Lanz throws the word "Jazz" around a lot lately and because it sounds artsy to say your fave does future jazz or anything like this. Because you would never ever associate her with actually DOING jazz music when you hear her music. Maybe if you went into real depth you could say "Some parts of UV could even be influenced by genres like Jazz fusion". But that's it.

"Narco swing" was the it-phrase for UV, not Jazz. Not to beat a dead horse, Jazz-influence is a relative thing. LDR has it more than Taylor or Katy, and it's more of an even race for Lady Gaga. To my mind the artist that wins the "I'm serious about Jazz" war is the one who collaborates first with Esperanza Spalding, who is serious about jazz (i.e., both doing it and trying to get it more into mainstream pop).

You guys are all BLIND!!!!

CAN'T YOU SEE?

Here, sheep, read this:

"Modern dreams, dreaming in modern times. Really Strange. I had a dream that I was waiting for someone to find me, and in the sky, where the stars were supposed to be, it was an uber map. And I was watching this person get further and further away from me, where the constellations were supposed to be. I woke up totally confused."

This was Lana Del Rey in an interview for rolling stone.

Now look at THIS quote from an interview Lady Gaga did with rolling stone:

“I have this recurring dream sometimes where there’s a phantom in my home and he takes me into a room, and there’s a blond girl with ropes tied to all four of her limbs. And she’s got my shoes on from the Grammys. Go figure—pyscho. And the ropes are pulling her apart.”

"I never see her get pulled apart, but I just watch her whimper, and then the phantom says to me, ‘If you want me to stop hurting her and if you want your family to be OK, you will cut your wrist.’ And I think that he has his own, like, crazy wrist-cutting device. And he has this honey in, like, Tupperware, and it looks like sweet-and-sour sauce with a lot of MSG from New York. Just bizarre. And he wants me to pour the honey into the wound, and then put cream over it and a gauze.”

CAN'T YOU LITTLE SHEEP SEE? Lana and Gaga are COMMUNICATING through their interviews (specifically RS interviews)

THESE ARE NOT REAL DREAMS, THIS IS THEIR WAY OF TALKING TO EACHOTHER.

First of all, let's look at Gaga's "dream"

Note that whereas Gaga cites her vision as a recurring "dream", Lana seems to say she has only had her "dream" once. Gaga specifically describes her "dream" as a recurring one. Why is this? Well, it could mean nothing.

OR IT COULD MEAN THAT LANA HAS FREQUENTLY MADE ATTEMPTS TO COMMUNICATE WITH GAGA, PERHAPS TELEPATHICALLY, IN THE PAST. Gaga also notes that in the "dream" there is a phantom in her house. The phantom represents Gaga and Lana's mentor, or as I like to call him, THE PUPPETEER. Gaga says in the "dream" Lana is tied up wearing HER grammy shoes. The shoes represent how Gaga believes Lana is attempting to take her place as a popular "alternative" artist but also how the puppeteer would show constant favouritism to Lana, as they were in a very serious, seven year relationship. The ropes pulling Lana's limbs apart is Gaga's way of warning Lana that all the puppeteer will do is build her up to break her down (a message Lana received and sang about in her new song ULTRAVIOLENCE)

Next the illuminati ritual of cutting your wrists and pouring honey and cream into the wound is a callback to the initiation process both girls went through to enter the puppeteer's cult. Gaga describes the honey like MSG from NEW YORK, the city where Lana and Gaga first met the puppeteer. Gaga is saying that she and her must return to new york (just like LANA SAYS IN UV) so that they can break free from their puppet strings and take back their souls. Unfortunately, if lana does this then the magic spell the puppeteer put on her to make her beautiful will be broken and Lana will once again have small, unappealing lips. Because of this Lana does not want to break free and refuses to go, indicated by the uber map dream in which her and Gaga drift further and further apart. This is all RIGHT INFRONT OF YOU BUT YOU HAVE ALL BEEN BRAINWASHED AND CANNOT SEE IT. GAGA CAN ONLY BREAK FREE OF HER STRINGS WHEN LANA IS WILLING TO LET GO AS WELL, AS PART OF THE PROMISE THEY MADE TO LUCIFER.

#FREESTEFANI!