Leo

Marika Hackman

Marika+Hackman1.jpeg

I've only known about Marika Hackman for a couple of days, but I can already say that she is the most interesting new artist I've heard in a very long time. That's why this is the first thread I make in this section. Her music may not be the most accessible you've heard, but give her an honest chance and hopefully you'll find something you like!

Bio (copied from wikipedia due to laziness)

Marika Louise Hackman (born 1992) is an English vocalist, multi-instrumentalist and songwriter.
She was born in Hampshire, and has lived in Devon, Brighton and London. She is of Finnish descent.
Hackman went to Bedales School where she met and befriended model Cara Delevingne. Together they formed a short-lived band where Hackman played drums and Delevingne played guitar and sang.
Johnny Flynn also studied at the same school and knew and appreciated Hackman's music. He was instrumental in getting her first record deal with Transgressive and produced her debut single, “You Come Down”.
As a teenager she was a model for Burberry. In 2012, she was chosen as one of the new faces for their Spring/Summer eye wear campaign. Two of her songs, "You Come Down" and "Here I Lie", were used in promotional material for the brand.
In 2013, she toured Australia and Europe as an opening act for Laura Marling.
Hackman began recording her full-length debut album in 2014 with producer, Charlie Andrew. The album was originally slated for release sometime in late 2014. In October 2014, the album was announced under the title "We Slept At Last", for release in February 2015.
In 2014, Hackman also appeared as a featured vocalist on alt-J's "Warm Foothills" from their second album, "This Is All Yours".
Her style is often described as "English Folk" (in the Nu-Folk or Indie-Folk sense), but with a twist: "folk-ish", "brooding folk”, "infusing traditionally winding melodies with leftfield production and a subtly accented vocal". Hackman herself comments on this type of description by explaining:
"I was a fan of the nu-folk scene when I was younger, but I'm trying to take it somewhere different – I'm drawn to the darker, melancholic side of things".

Songs to get you started

Bath Is Black

Drown (One of the best songs of 2014)

Wolf

You Come Down

Cannibal

And a good example of her experimental orientation is this song, in which no instruments were used other than her own body:

Retina Television

Music Videos

Discography

Free Covers EP

• Burgundy (Warpaint cover)
  • Lithium (Nirvana cover)
  • These Days (Nico cover)
  • Marble House (The Knife cover)
  • Spooky (Dusty Springfield cover)

​That Iron Taste

• Bath Is Black
  • Mountain Spines
  • Cannibal
  • Retina Television
  • I'll Borrow Time
  • Plans
  • You Come Down

Sugar Blind EP

• Cinnamon
  • Itchy Teeth
  • Wolf
  • 81 (Joanna Newsom cover)

Deaf Heat EP

• Call Off the Dogs
  • Deep Green
  • I Follow Rivers (Lykke Li cover)
  • Tongues

Other available songs

• Here I Lie
  • I Hold (feat. Sivu)
  • O Come, O Come, Emmanuel

Upcoming Releases

We Slept At Last (16 feb 2015)

• Drown
  • Before I Sleep
  • Ophelia
  • Open Wide
  • Skin (feat. Sivu)
  • Claude's Girl
  • Animal Fear
  • In Words
  • Monday Afternoon
  • Undone, Undress
  • Next Year
  • Let Me In

Listen to her music for free on Soundcloud or buy it on Itunes or wherever!

Really not bad! :) Thanks for letting me know! :P 
Very cute Bath Is Black!

But I have a question ... but has already released an album? You will come out next year? thank you, I wait your info :kiss2:

Really not bad! :) Thanks for letting me know! :P 

Very cute Bath Is Black!

But I have a question ... but has already released an album? You will come out next year? thank you, I wait your info :kiss2:

She has released 4 EPs. Her first full-length album wll be released in February 2015  :)

Love this video. Wish we had something similar with early Lana.

The "You follow the road, and it was just a dust" - part becomes so beautiful in that setting somehow

Wait wait wait if someone wound send me a zip that would be greatly appreciated

Her cover of I Follow Rivers is excellent.

I'd like to but Itunes files contain the name and email of the purchaser and I'm paranoid about sharing that on the internet. Don't know if that makes me really lame...?

But if you want to check out all her stuff you can find everything (that I know of) except Here I Lie on Soundcloud

I'd like to but Itunes files contain the name and email of the purchaser and I'm paranoid about sharing that on the internet. Don't know if that makes me really lame...?

But if you want to check out all her stuff you can find everything (that I know of) except Here I Lie on Soundcloud

Yeah I've listened to a bunch of stuff and really like her! Not enough to invest in her yet though because I'm awful and broke.

tumblr_ni9eu5I7Qh1qzmb8eo5_500.png

Yeah I've listened to a bunch of stuff and really like her! Not enough to invest in her yet though because I'm awful and broke.

Any particular songs you like besides Bath Is Black and I Follow Rivers? Just curious  :)

I don't know if anyone still cares about this but I'll keep the thread somewhat updated anyway.

In her new video for the song "Drown", Marika has obviously been inspired by Lanas open support of domestic violence and rape. She has taken it a step further though. Here you can see her glamorizing (read: depicting) murder by drowning!:

Can't wait for her debut to drop! 

Drown is great, but Bath Is Black is such a lovely song, her best from what's been out.

Same! Only a little more than 5 weeks left :excited:

Starting to agree with you on Bath Is Black, it has grown on me more than I thought it would. Marika seems to agree as well, I remember her saying somewhere that Bath Is Black is the only song from her previous work that she thought was good enough to be put on a debut album, or something like that. So hopefully the upcoming album is filled with songs as good as Bath Is Black!

Drown is cool. So far, it's all I've heard. I literally can't find working links for anything.

The soundcloud links in the op seems fine to me, they don't work for you?

Can't wait for her debut to drop! 

Drown is great, but Bath Is Black is such a lovely song, her best from what's been out.

Can't wait too! I agree with you, Bath Is Black is so pretty :flutter: 

She uploaded a new song.

u.u

-39 days to the publish :flutter: