Sign in to follow this  
PARADIXO

BTD Makes Complex's "Best Debut Albums" List

rywhtk14dntpikquiovi.jpg

On the eve of the release of her debut album, Born to Die, Lana Del Rey became one of the most divisive musical guests in Saturday Night Live history. Many of the critics who’d helped make her single “Video Games” an Internet phenomenon helped lead the backlash, while viewers seeing her for the first time were confused by her awkward performances. But as the think pieces and authenticity debates died down, Born to Die went on to become a worldwide blockbuster, selling millions around the world and going platinum in the U.S., spinning off a top 10 hit with a remix of “Summertime Sadness.” For all the fretting about Del Rey's unusual voice and retro sensibility, Born to Die resonated with a huge audience.

:gclap:

OmG But WHAT abOut MAE jAILOR SirenS IS HER REAL DEBUT ALBUM!!!!!! 

--

I feel like now it's not so cool to hate on her, question her and dissect her for no fucking reason whatsoever  :facepalm:  Blogs are realising the quality of the album and also the huge impact it had, because it really did. From music style to long-form music video, it influenced other less talented artists

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Cool. It is her first major national release the public heard about.

only thing I can't figure out and it depends on the day of the week, is how to rank BTD, Paradise and Ultraviolence. They are all in my Top 10 albums of all time (I consider Paradise great enough to say it is an album especially as I consider all 3 to be concept albums

and one long road trip From the east to the west.

Would love the older stuff one day in a large box set with everything ever written even if demo's. At least most are on youtube.

As far as this list about debut albums I would rank BTD as #1. A fully conceived project with not a bad song on it.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

Guest chaobao

It about time she so fucking good at singing!!!!!!!!!!!!

(AKA deserves to be on a list of best debut albums but whatever...)

Congrats to BTD! I bought the vinyl a couple of days ago. It's such a great album, although it took me a while to really love it. Probably my 2nd favorite Lana album (AKA is first, UV third, P last. I'm not including Sirens because that's just existing on another dimension and was never officially released anyway). I can still play it from start to finish and not get tired of it (although I'll probably skip Dark Paradise and Carmen :creep:)

It's her debut album as Lana Del Rey. They're not counting anything she did as May Jailer or Lizzy Grant.

It was a joke man lol.

I'm not including Sirens because that's just existing on another dimension

:lmao:

so proud of you lana

I hope she's proud/happy too :(