harmonykorine

Zella Day

On 8/29/2022 at 1:51 AM, bonkbanisters said:

I remember this time last year I was so excited for the album - since the original release plan was September 2021 but oh well :eek3:

I'm sooo glad it's seeing the light of day soon and I am just as excited as I was then!! Zella is such an amazing artist and I still feel so sorry for her having to go through all the label hell early in her career. I wonder if she's ever gonna talk about the scrapped album in the future 

When was that album scrapped ?

11 hours ago, eyelovelefteye said:

Late 2016/2017ish, she ended up leaving Hollywood records after all the bullshit they put her through. Still hoping she leaks the High music video, it’s been over 5 years

THERE IS A HIGH MUSIC VIDEO?

WHAT THE!

I've been a Zella fan since hypnotic, and I never understood why kicker wasn't album of the year or something. And where does the devil hide deserved to be an LP and not an EP.

Do you have any info about the 2016 scrapped album? Thank you.

On 10/8/2022 at 8:29 AM, NoSalvation77 said:

THERE IS A HIGH MUSIC VIDEO?

WHAT THE!

I've been a Zella fan since hypnotic, and I never understood why kicker wasn't album of the year or something. And where does the devil hide deserved to be an LP and not an EP.

Do you have any info about the 2016 scrapped album? Thank you.

Yep, there’s a unreleased video for High that had a coven look to it, Hollywood wouldn’t let her release it because it wasn’t in line with the mold they tried to put her in. I’ve talked about the shelved album a little bit in this thread, I’ll share some of what I know soon

Bit about High music video:

WWD: The video for your song “High” was held back from release by your label — what happened?

Z.D.: The best I can put it is that sometimes art and commerce don’t really mix together. You know, I created this video from just pure authentic intention, and the label just had a different opinion on it. At the end of the day I could’ve gone their way and just cut out certain scenes and released it, but if I had released it that way it wouldn’t have been the video I wanted to release. So I didn’t release it. And it has nothing to do with if they’re a bad label or not; they’re a great label and they’re the reason I’m on this tour right now. They’re funding this whole thing. But I stand by my art and my vision and what I really believe in, and I’m only going to explore more, the further I get in my career and the deeper I go into my mind and my imagination. And so I just felt like it was a good precedent to stand my ground. 

WWD: How have your fans reacted?

Z.D.: Everybody was really angry. But there is a chance that I’ll start projecting it at my live shows. Somehow I need to get it out there. At the end of the day, music videos are amazing and really fun to watch, but the most important thing to me right now is definitely touring and playing live shows and connecting with my audience, so the music videos are important and I wish I could’ve released this video the way I intended to but it’s music first. Music videos are not my top priority. But it is important, so I’m going to find a way to release the video.

People heavy into social media need to comment/dm letting her know we still want it & maybe it’ll surface online. She was very passionate about it at the time

tumblr_m9qygi5S6s1rdc44xo1_500.gif

On 10/11/2022 at 6:19 AM, eyelovelefteye said:

Yep, there’s a unreleased video for High that had a coven look to it, Hollywood wouldn’t let her release it because it wasn’t in line with the mold they tried to put her in. I’ve talked about the shelved album a little bit in this thread, I’ll share some of what I know soon

Bit about High music video:

WWD: The video for your song “High” was held back from release by your label — what happened?

Z.D.: The best I can put it is that sometimes art and commerce don’t really mix together. You know, I created this video from just pure authentic intention, and the label just had a different opinion on it. At the end of the day I could’ve gone their way and just cut out certain scenes and released it, but if I had released it that way it wouldn’t have been the video I wanted to release. So I didn’t release it. And it has nothing to do with if they’re a bad label or not; they’re a great label and they’re the reason I’m on this tour right now. They’re funding this whole thing. But I stand by my art and my vision and what I really believe in, and I’m only going to explore more, the further I get in my career and the deeper I go into my mind and my imagination. And so I just felt like it was a good precedent to stand my ground. 

WWD: How have your fans reacted?

Z.D.: Everybody was really angry. But there is a chance that I’ll start projecting it at my live shows. Somehow I need to get it out there. At the end of the day, music videos are amazing and really fun to watch, but the most important thing to me right now is definitely touring and playing live shows and connecting with my audience, so the music videos are important and I wish I could’ve released this video the way I intended to but it’s music first. Music videos are not my top priority. But it is important, so I’m going to find a way to release the video.

People heavy into social media need to comment/dm letting her know we still want it & maybe it’ll surface online. She was very passionate about it at the time

That's so sad. Damn!

6 hours ago, zombie girl said:

honestly very surprised that this album hasn’t surfaced somewhere online yet, especially considering so many people have had it for so long. excited for tomorrow night!

It’s beautiful, she truly deserves a non-leak after Kicker surfaced several months before its release 

2 minutes ago, zombie girl said:

okay i haven’t gotten the chance to listen to the entire album yet but i did listen to the new version of i don’t know how to end and not to be negative or anything at allll but damn i am kind of disappointed, the demo had so much more life and color and emotion in both the production and her vocal delivery. i hope i like the rest of the album more :defeated:

I feel the same about the new version of the title track, I was never a fan but her voice is way higher & bright in the demo. Wish we would’ve gotten Cherry Heart or Moonslot instead of it.

7 minutes ago, zombie girl said:

okay i haven’t gotten the chance to listen to the entire album yet but i did listen to the new version of i don’t know how to end and not to be negative or anything at allll but damn i am kind of disappointed, the demo had so much more life and color and emotion in both the production and her vocal delivery. i hope i like the rest of the album more :defeated:

Me too!

well-so-im-done.gif

super quick first impressions track by track (nobody asked for this)

Spoiler

mushroom punch: heard a million times before, i love it so much, should've been lead single (although it kinda served the purpose of a lead single in a way)

am i still your baby: to be fair i've only listened to the record once but it didn't stick out to me, but i like it. it's cute.

dance for love: my least favorite of the three original leads, but still very good. will prob grow on me in the context of the album

girls: ohhhh. my. god. SO excellent. it serves such a unique purpose in the album and does it so well. i LOVE this song.

golden: pop perfection, top 3 on the album probably. (just saying, that "can ya dig it" hook is one of the best hooks ive heard in a VERY long time)

i don't know how to end: our first ballad. beautiful, but it's been out there for so long and i, much like others, prefer the demo. wish we would've gotten cherry heart or something instead...

radio silence: what truly gave me FAITH in this album. some of her best writing yet, and the way she delivers those verses with that dry, sardonic quality in her voice is immaculate.

bunny: oy. i just wish this did more. lyrically it's great, but i kept waiting for the song to explode like all the others, and i just couldn't really get into it.

real life: AND WE'RE BACK. lyrics are very cryptic. but i like it a lot, and gives the record another boost.

almost good: this one didn't do a ton for me, but it's still a good song at it's core, but probably not one i'll return to super often unless i'm listening front to back. could grow on me.

last time: a beautiful penultimate track. that "you can't fuck the future if the future's fucking you" line punched me in the gut.

sunday in heaven: her best song lyrically. period. a beautiful, serene moment closing one of the late contenders for aoty.

OVERALL: sunday in heaven is a great album that i need a bit more time with to make my final decision on. i'm leaning towards an 8/10. the lack of press surrounding this album is really a shame- she deserves to be on end of year lists and get late night slots, but i unfortunately really think her taking her time on this album did more harm than good. but those who still remember her from way back when are in for a real treat.

10 hours ago, Mountain said:

@Kurt where are ya?

Believe me when I say it was torture not being able to listen all day :oprah2:

But my godddddd she has done it again

First of all, the way the singles are still 10/10 classics?

Didn’t expect Bunny to be so stripped but it’s absolutely gorgeous

Real Life fading softly into Almost Good… and being able to listen to Almost Good 5 years after its live debut?! And it’s absolutely incredible?!

The lyrics to Last Time are heart-wrenching omg

And the title track serving modern day Hallelujah or something idk but I’M LIVING.

ZELLA DAY YOU WILL ALWAYS BE FAMOUS!! :bebe::bebe: