Does anybody realize that 95% of the arguments against Halsey are the same exact arguments made against Lana in 2011/2012? :rip: The only valid argument I see is the similarity between National Anthem and New Americana. Love both songs, but the chorus of New Americana does have a striking similarity to National Anthem's.

MkWI4Ns.png

Does anybody realize that 95% of the arguments against Halsey are the same exact arguments made against Lana in 2011/2012? :rip: The only valid argument I see is the similarity between National Anthem and New Americana. Love both songs, but the chorus of New Americana does have a striking similarity to National Anthem's.

No. Lana is actually a great artist. 

no they are really not. It is FACT that H*lsey (stupid fucking name by the way) is completely unoriginal and had repurposed and plagiarised from other artists. It was only opinion that lana was "fake" mainly because of her lips

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

naachoboy, on 20 Jul 2015 - 12:18 PM, said:

Who is a great artist/bad artist/whatever is just a petty matter of opinion. I'm talking about substantial criticisms here. The lyrical handiwork, manufactured image, 'Tumblr' aesthetic, dark alt-pop, the yearning to appeal to 'teens who listen to 'indie music' and shop at Urban Outfitters,' etc. They have some heavy parallels. The only downfall Halsey has against her is the similarities between the two songs I mentioned before.

There's no reason to get defensive towards artists that cut into the same niche 'part-indie, part-mainstream popularity, part-viral success' market as Lana Del Rey. People did the same thing when Lorde came on the market because she 'stole' Lana's trip-hop fusion on pop music and semi-dramatic persona, and now Halsey is the next victim.

Trash Magic, on 20 Jul 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

no they are really not. It is FACT that H*lsey (stupid fucking name by the way) is completely unoriginal and had repurposed and plagiarised from other artists. It was only opinion that lana was "fake" mainly because of her lips

Let's be honest: Lana's lips were not the only thing that caused her to be slammed in the public eye. Shaky live performances, the uncovering of her ill-fated first stab at a music career, the huge viral footprint she left behind before moving to Interscope with social media accounts, to name a few.

Once again, minus that New Ameicana similarity, Halsey is not in the wrong. Plagiarizing work is not the same as re-purposing or sampling work. If the sample was cleared by the original artist and was credited appropriately, plagiarism is no longer on the board. If this weren't the case, artists like Azealia Banks wouldn't have a professional career right now (well, whatever is left of it, I suppose).

MkWI4Ns.png

You keep saying that the only argument against her is the whole National Anthem/New Americana situation but what about Sky calling her out for copying her video?

Sure, using samples is fine, as long as the original artist gets money for it and are happy with it. BUT my point is that Halsey constantly needs other artist's work whether it's samples or blatant plagiarism in order to support her own work. She lacks originality. 

RVhKIwP.gif

You keep saying that the only argument against her is the whole National Anthem/New Americana ordeal but what about Sky calling her out for copying her video?

Sure, using samples is fine, as long as the original artist gets money for it and are happy with it. BUT my point is that Halsey constantly needs other artist's work whether it's samples or blatant plagiarism in order to support her own work. She lacks originality. 

I just don't see the fuss between Sky Ferreira's video and Halsey's. Sky Ferreira's moaning in a wig on a carousel horse and on a bed just doesn't bear that much similarity to Halsey's neon lights and lesbian make out scenes. Odd colored wigs, beds, cars, a bathtub... I don't see anything too out of the ordinary for most pop music videos, to be honest. Hell, Lady Gaga's Marry the Night video had all of those elements, too. Wanna add her to list of people Halsey has copied?

MkWI4Ns.png

I just don't see the fuss between Sky Ferreira's video and Halsey's. Sky Ferreira's moaning in a wig on a carousel horse and on a bed just doesn't bear that much similarity to Halsey's neon lights and lesbian make out scenes. Odd colored wigs, beds, cars, a bathtub... I don't see anything too out of the ordinary for most pop music videos, to be honest. Hell, Lady Gaga's Marry the Night video had all of those elements, too. Wanna add her to list of people Halsey has copied?

Didn't Sky have receipts of Halsey hiring the same team of people who shot Sky's video tho?  :crossed:

RVhKIwP.gif

Didn't Sky have receipts of Halsey hiring the same team of people who shot Sky's video tho? :crossed:

Sky made it sound like in the end she wasn't blaming her, she blamed the label, because in the end it's the label that hires the team (I think)

tumblr_nkg4kzoz7y1td0oleo1_500.gif

Sky made it sound like in the end she wasn't blaming her, she blamed the label, because in the end it's the label that hires the team (I think)

I do believe that it was the label who hires the team, because they were originally going to look for a male counterpart but then Halsey pushed for a female lover. If Sky really has the 'receipts,' you would think she would have had the guts to post them during her temper tantrum against her label.

MkWI4Ns.png

The arguments made against Lana in 2011/12 are more serious because she went from aspiring night club meth addict with a music career clutching onto dear life and suddenly became this glamorous depiction of the lost generation with a grand image. I do think the NA vs NA thing wouldn't be 100% her fault, it may be a nod to Lana or even just something that happened during the production phase that slipped past her or the producers. But tons of songs sound similar because it's all been done before.

That's 100% subjective. Lana is an artistic person with a borderline fake or "exaggerated" persona. Who has time to live in all of those states, have a bunch of boyfriends and "live on the open road" while they're in college and attempting to start their music career?

Halsey is an anagram of her first name (and the name of a street she spent a lot of time). But having a stage name that's basically the rearranged letters of your own name is a crime? May Jailer? Lizzy Grant? Lana Del Rey? Call me back when Elizabeth comes up with a new persona. Lana is fake because people called her out on her shit before her "first" album came out. BTD was no way representative of Lizzy's first body of work as an artist. At the very least, AKA seems to be her first attempt at her bad girl image but when that ultimately fell through she tried to completely erase it from existence.

Didn't Sky have receipts of Halsey hiring the same team of people who shot Sky's video tho?  :crossed:

Yes, the entire team that worked on the NTMT video did the new Ghost video.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

Why do you all feel the need to bring Lana Del Rey as a form to defend Halsey (or X artist, if we weren't talking about her) when you're on a Lana Del Rey forum with Lana Del Rey stans who are probably going to come here with better receipts than yours because this is a forum full with people devoted to praise her and follow her while you are just fans / casual listeners of Halsey? I mean, I do agree the people who come on here just to attack Halsey are not correct but neither the people who respond the same way with Lana Del Rey arguments. :toofunny:

Can you guys please stop talking about Lana Del Rey on here? I mean, the entire forum is about her. Let this thread be about Halsey (even if some ppl come here to post negative things, at least they're still about Halsey).

Why do you all feel the need to bring Lana Del Rey as a form to defend Halsey (or X artist, if we weren't talking about her) when you're on a Lana Del Rey forum with Lana Del Rey stans who are probably going to come here with better receipts than yours because this is a forum full with people devoted to praise her and follow her while you are just fans / casual listeners of Halsey? I mean, I do agree the people who come on here just to attack Halsey are not correct but neither the people who respond the same way with Lana Del Rey arguments. :toofunny:

Can you guys please stop talking about Lana Del Rey on here? I mean, the entire forum is about her. Let this thread be about Halsey (even if some ppl come here to post negative things, at least they're still about Halsey).

Using Lana is a valid point because people are bringing her up. The validity of one artist cannot change the validity of another and that's what my main point was about. Most people see the similarities between New Americana and National Anthem.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

Using Lana is a valid point because people are bringing her up. The validity of one artist cannot change the validity of another and that's what my main point was about. Most people see the similarities between New Americana and National Anthem.

Not really sweetheart. The ppl bringing her up do it because you well know it's the easiest way to shut Lana fans up or clap back to defend Halsey instead of giving solid arguments. But that's not going to end this 'fight' or whatever is happening here because once you shut one up another will appear because this is a Lana Del Rey forum after all and there a far more LDR fans here than Halsey's. Like the samples thing yesterday, someone said Halsey sampled a song and then out of nowhere another person mentions Born to Die. And look, here we are. Did that solve anything? No.

Anyway, like I said I prefer to talk about Halsey on here instead of Lana so I'll leave it here. :) 

Not really sweetheart. The ppl bringing her up do it because you well know it's the easiest way to shut Lana fans up or clap back to defend Halsey instead of giving solid arguments. But that's not going to end this 'fight' or whatever is happening here because once you shut one up another will appear because this is a Lana Del Rey forum after all and there a far more LDR fans here than Halsey's. Like the samples thing yesterday, someone said Halsey sampled a song and then out of nowhere another person mentions Born to Die. And look, here we are. Did that solve anything? No.

Anyway, like I said I prefer to talk about Halsey on here instead of Lana so I'll leave it here. :)

you are queen

I do think the NA vs NA thing wouldn't be 100% her fault, it may be a nod to Lana or even just something that happened during the production phase that slipped past her or the producers. But tons of songs sound similar because it's all been done before.

Are we going to forget the fact that Halsey is more than just a casual Lana fan? She loves Lana so I mean.... I doubt it was an accident. https://twitter.com/halseymusic/status/367564154049429504

In all honesty, I do think Halsey is a bit ridiculous on twitter and lacks originality, but I still bop to her songs and would call myself a fan LMAOOOO. She does so many ridiculous things straight off of my tumblr dashboard, everyone can see that, but she's smart for doing that because there are those teenage girls out there with their **aesthetic** blogs that are looking for exactly Halsey's style, thats why she is so successful right now. 

CRYu-l5UcAEhjM4.jpg

Are we going to forget the fact that Halsey is more than just a casual Lana fan? She loves Lana so I mean.... I doubt it was an accident. https://twitter.com/halseymusic/status/367564154049429504

In all honesty, I do think Halsey is a bit ridiculous on twitter and lacks originality, but I still bop to her songs and would call myself a fan LMAOOOO. She does so many ridiculous things straight off of my tumblr dashboard, everyone can see that, but she's smart for doing that because there are those teenage girls out there with their **aesthetic** blogs that are looking for exactly Halsey's style, thats why she is so successful right now.

I don't think that tweet says anything new. She's comparing her music to Lana's sound (which is kind of undeniable). But that's something every artist has done or will do at some point.

#HalseyBoardsComingSoon :eartha:

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1