drewby

LB Listens! - Week 2: Florence + the Machine

1. Vegas - A - Really dynamic beat, never becomes boring. Interesting lyrics about the duality of Vegas life.

2. Make A Scene - A - Very danceable and gay, love the tongue-in-cheek millennial social commentary and the chaotic breakdown.

3. On The Regular - A - Quirkiness turned up to a ten. It's become somewhat of an anthem for me.

4. Call It Off - A - Madonna wishes she made this.

5. Hot Mess - C -  Not a fan of the beat, but the vocals save it.

6. Demon - A - A near perfect pop song, from production to premise to vocals. FAVE Track.

7. In For The Kill - F - Cliche and try-hard, not a fan. LEAST Fave.

8. Youth - C - Survives on vibe alone.

9. Darker - A - An American Idol torch song done right.

10. Head In The Clouds - A - fun, cool, interesting, sums everything up nicely.

Overall, I'd give the record an A because of how simply fun it is, regardless of its flawed tracks.

"A true revolutionary is guided by great feelings of love." - Che Guevara

I'm not very good at describing music so just bare with me  :toofunny:

Vegas

It’s Ok. Sounds like the rest of the album

C+

Make a scene 

no.

F

On the regular 

I like it. It’s jam material

B+

Call It Off

Like the intro and the instrumental. It's repetitive

C+

Hot mess

I think this is the only song I'll listen to off the album in my spare time

A

Demon

I like the lyrics and it’s refreshing compared to the rest of the album. But I don’t like how high his voice is during the chorus. 

A-

In For The Kill

I like this one. 

B+

Youth

Funky

B

Darker

I like the lyrics n the chorus. Nice song.

A

Head in the clouds

It’s an OK song. There’s nothing that makes it stand out. Just sounds like the rest of the album

C

KC

emotional. Raw. But I didn't like it

C+

Overall this album was OK. There's some nice songs. Definitely a grower. I didn't think I would like it but yeah I think I'll listen to it from time to time. 

All right, so 1) I generally dislike writing, but maybe this exercise will help! :) and 2) i'd probably self describe my music taste as slightly left of "basic bitch," with that said... 

Vegas - I liked it, it caught my attention as an opening track. Big fan of the synths and general thump in the background. 

Make a Scene - a fun track, not the best but not the worst. First thought I had was Pharell? Idk

On the Regular - best of the opening trio in my view

Call it Off - digging the 70s vibe of this one.

Hot Mess - appropriate title  :teehee:

Demon - all these club jams songs, followed by a...slowed down and seemingly introspective song about relationships? good change of pace

In For the Kill & Youth - I heard both of these songs at least twice and I honestly cannot remember a thing about them, so both get bad for being forgettable 

Darker - I liked this one a lot, the strings and overall production on the song are way different than the rest. Definitely a highlight I think

Head in The Clouds - it's over, thank you!

KC - on first listen, all i could really focus on was the instrumental background which i like. The second time around i got more of the lyrics, a bit sappy... not sure this is best type of song for his style. 

Final thoughts: I had never heard of him until now, and did not walk away wanting to know more about him. I probably would not listen to this again. Everything also sounded too similar but not in a good way; I started listening to the album on Tuesday at my desk at work. I was not able to pick it up again until tonight. And tonight, I started again from the beginning and was into song #4 before i realized Spotify was on shuffle mode. Once i turned it off, it seemed there was no difference between shuffle and the track listing order. 6/10

party.gif?w=1100

1. Vegas - A - Love the simplistic instrumentals and beats.  The vocals are clear and not a distraction.

2. Make A Scene - C - The vocals are a bit off, but I like the "70s" influence and how the synths are not annoying.  

3. On The Regular - B - The lyrics are a bit corny, i found myself laughing.  It's a fun, chill, upbeat song.  The instrumentals is good.

4. Call It Off - B - Not a memorable song, but the "disco" influence is noticeable.  Good production, but it "lacks" flavor.

5. Hot Mess - C -  Interesting chorus and build-up.  The feel of the song is ok, not grandiose.Also lacks "flavor".

6. Demon - A - Love the instrumental, but the drop was disappointing, i was expecting an energetic chorus.  Yet I feel the emotions in both the vocals and music.

7. In For The Kill - A - Very chill, love the guitar; wish it was more incorporated into the song.  Simple lyrics, yet relate-able. and the final chorus is the best part, It is a strong ending for a song.

8. Youth - C - Not a strong track.  Very average and it feels like a calm mashup of the earlier songs that I already heard.

9. Darker - A - Reminds me of a slow version of Ray of Light by Madonna.  Love the effects, creating an environment.  I wish there was a part where the song would go all crazy and he would hit high notes but alas.  

10. Head In The Clouds - B - another song that needs flavor, BUT, It is special in its own way because it actually has an individual sound, yet too similar to some other tracks.  The ending falls flat yet it is colorful.

11. KC - A -Feels very original, and the guitar is amazing.  Clean, soulful vocals.  Overall a great track.

BEST:

Demon

Vegas

NAH:

Hot Mess

Youth

I would give this album a B.  I did not think i would find myself liking some of these song, yet rating it a B.  I appreciate the originality, but some songs lack guidance.  The production work is definitely a good one.  I like how it is a cohesive artwork yet about 4 songs sound way too similar.

Also,here is a list of upcoming albums of the year

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums/release-date/coming-soon/date

If instead of reviewing new releases, I suggest we review GOOD Kid MAAD City by Kendrick Lamar or The Lateness Of The Hour by Alex Clare ;)

Edited by Ed55

Vegas - In my opinion not a great opening track. Kind of bland and doesn't set the tone for the whole album ©

Make a Scene - How freaking groovy is this track? Love it (A)

On the Regular - I really like this song. Very Azealia-esque (A)

Call it Off - Like the instrumental. But the lyrics and vocals are not doing it for me on this track ©

Hot Mess - Nah. Not feeling it bruh (F)

Demon - Love the lyrics. Nice change of pace in the album and his voice here is nice (A)

In for the Kill - I like it. But theres something off with the melody and the beat. Like i can't explain ©

Youth - By now this album is feeling a bit monotonous. I like the beat break at 3:05 though. ©

Darker - Not sure what to give this one. I like it but it's not a standout ©

Head in the clouds - Good closer. It keeps with the overall vibe of the album. ©

KC - Im a sucker for acoustics and his voice is really nice on this track

(A)

Overall a decent effort from Shamir. RATCHET could have been more cohesive. More tracks would have made this album tedious to listen to so the tracklisting is quite good. I think he needs to work with more producers just for a bit more variety.

Album rating - C

VEGAS -  A

MAKE A SCENE - A

ON THE REGULAR - A

CALL IT OFF - B

HOT MESS - B

DEMON - B

IN FOR THE KILL - B

YOUTH - C

DARKER - C

HEAD IN THE CLOUDS - B

I liked the album, but it got really boring towards the end. 

I'm so lucky I love sunbathing and moonbathing