Sign in to follow this  
lernerderrey

Lana Del Ray/Rey

Hey. So I've been listening to A.K.A a bunch cuz i've realized how perfect it is. idk if ive over thought this or if this is whats up. lololo

I noticed how many times lana sings about this guy named Ray. Her name on the album is Lana Del Ray. With an "A". 

Lana Del Rey translates to "wool of the king". Lanas middle name is Woolridge. Could Lana be a nick name Ray gave Lizzy? Lana also sings about being the "king and queen" a lot. So is Lana Del RAY a reference to Ray Lee? And did she change it so Ray would be king? idk im tired and posting this so sorry if it doesnt make sense. its a thought.

i am the queen of the universe. the waves part, and they engulf me, and the water is warm.   

https://onlineparades.bandcamp.com/album/sure-jan

I don't really think it has THAT much significance. Lana isn't the first to use Del Rey together (Del Rey cars, Marina Del Rey, etc, etc) so she probably just liked the way it sounded. I think I remember her saying before that she liked the way it rolled off the tongue or something to that effect.

Supposedly "Lana Del Rey"  is something she got from hanging out with "Cuban friends" in Miami and it reminded her of the "glamour of the seaside." I think there's another variant of it, Lana Ray, which you'll hear in Trash Magic ("He said, Lana Ray, will you serve me lemonade?"). I recall reading about a fourth variant but I don't remember what it was, only that it was longer.

I think the Ray spelling is something that comes naturally to English speakers because, well, it's an existing word and name and it has the same pronunciation as Rey. I speak Spanish and even I sometimes slip up and type Lana Del Ray because that sound sequence, in English, corresponds to the sequence of letters "ray." I think she changed it to Rey so the whole thing would be in Spanish (she supposedly speaks Spanish, and we've heard her speaking little pieces of Spanish before) as opposed to partially in English - consistency. Maybe it's a coincidence that she also sings about a Ray in Kill Kill and potentially Raise Me Up (the demo is called "Rayse." I know Lana loves misspelling things but considering she's sung about a Ray before and she does ring 'Rai rai rai raise me up', her singing about an actual Ray in that song would fit pretty well). Maybe she liked this coincidence and capitalized upon it. I don't know the timeline of stage names she's had, I don't know when she started using Lana Del Rey instead of Ray, I'm not even sure if Lana Ray was ever used as a stage name.

Something neat I found in the Lanalysis page: Arthur Lynn wanted to name his daughter Lana... and his son Ray.

y'all really dont need to be doing all of this

i really dont care but it was a thought i found kinda interesting. idk. i've seen the title "rayse me up" and idk i found it interesting she changed it to raise and ray to rey. idk im silly. dun take me 2 seriously.

i am the queen of the universe. the waves part, and they engulf me, and the water is warm.   

Supposedly "Lana Del Rey"  is something she got from hanging out with "Cuban friends" in Miami and it reminded her of the "glamour of the seaside." I think there's another variant of it, Lana Ray, which you'll hear in Trash Magic ("He said, Lana Ray, will you serve me lemonade?"). I recall reading about a fourth variant but I don't remember what it was, only that it was longer.

I think the Ray spelling is something that comes naturally to English speakers because, well, it's an existing word and name and it has the same pronunciation as Rey. I speak Spanish and even I sometimes slip up and type Lana Del Ray because that sound sequence, in English, corresponds to the sequence of letters "ray." I think she changed it to Rey so the whole thing would be in Spanish (she supposedly speaks Spanish, and we've heard her speaking little pieces of Spanish before) as opposed to partially in English - consistency. Maybe it's a coincidence that she also sings about a Ray in Kill Kill and potentially Raise Me Up (the demo is called "Rayse." I know Lana loves misspelling things but considering she's sung about a Ray before and she does ring 'Rai rai rai raise me up', her singing about an actual Ray in that song would fit pretty well). Maybe she liked this coincidence and capitalized upon it. I don't know the timeline of stage names she's had, I don't know when she started using Lana Del Rey instead of Ray, I'm not even sure if Lana Ray was ever used as a stage name.

Something neat I found in the Lanalysis page: Arthur Lynn wanted to name his daughter Lana... and his son Ray.

whos arthur lynn? am i a noob for not knowing? i forgot that she ray in trash magic! 

whos arthur lynn? am i a noob for not knowing? i forgot that she ray in trash magic! 

Arthur Lynn is an ex-boyfriend of hers. You can read about some exes and potential exes in Lanalysis - it's a good place to get started on the "Lana world," although some of the info in the first post is outdated.