longtimeman

Salon piece "The existential genius of Lana Del Rey"

Salon have just posted a rare, worthwhile 'think piece' on LDR - "The existential genius of Lana Del Rey: Performing yearning self-destruction as meaningful as Don Draper’s — and just as uniquely American" Nobody here's going to learn anything from it, but it's nice that somebody's actually putting some thought into their writing about Lana.

(Hat tip to @@MonsterGod for posting this in the Honeymoon thread, where a lot of people might have missed it.)

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

Thank you so much for sharing! I'm particularly interested in this kind of articles. For once that it's not tearing her done, it's well written which is relieving.

Edit: correcting myself; after reading more in depth it's actually excellent, very enjoyable read.

ZKcaooE.png

That was an interesting read. I consider myself a feminist, but I'm sooo sick of female artists/actors/etc being bombarded with questions about feminism in interviews that have nothing to do with the subject. It happens on the red carpet, casual interviews, etc all the time lately. It seems like the people asking the questions are purposely trying to catch a woman saying something stupid so they can turn the answers around on them. Do male artists get asked this question as a go to in every interview? NO. It's so annoying. It seems like there's never a good answer to the question. 

That was an interesting read. I consider myself a feminist, but I'm sooo sick of female artists/actors/etc being bombarded with questions about feminism in interviews that have nothing to do with the subject. It happens on the red carpet, casual interviews, etc all the time lately. It seems like the people asking the questions are purposely trying to catch a woman saying something stupid so they can turn the answers around on them. Do male artists get asked this question as a go to in every interview? NO. It's so annoying. It seems like there's never a good answer to the question. 

This is how I feel pretty much as well Most telling, in the original interview where she was asked about Feminism, you could tell that the interviewer wasn't treating her answer with any respect by thinking of an interesting follow up question about technology or whatever, but must have just had running through their mind "I've got the headline!"

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png