annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

seems like Drake will release a mixtape with future on sunday...

imagine if he would do a If You're Reading This... number :toofunny:

I really want Lana to snatch that #1.

if that happens then she aint getting it

I hope interscope makes their move and try to delay his shit lmfaooo like talking to his reps

the album is absolutely gorgeous :oprah:
there's so many subtle things that just add something totally unexpected, like a little kick while listening.
I love the intro to swan song, it's very minimalistic but it sets such a subtle taste to the song, I also love "soft ice cream" in Salvatore, it's sets a playful tune to the song that's already very passionate I guess.
Burnt Norton is so beautiful, such a "warped time nostalgia" song :oprah: :oprah:

The production in Freak's chorus is such a weird thing for a lana song, but it's genius. I wish the lyrics were a little better tho, but production wise + those sampled vocals are absolutely genius.

:smokes:

What nobody was waiting for - my kinda review:

Honeymoon

This little essay has nothing to do with objectivity, so I stop short of calling it a 'review' of Lana Del Rey's latest album Honeymoon - it's more like a 'State of the Nation' address from a fan of Lana - somebody who has already bought into the concept of her music and everything that it involves. It remains a fact that after too long listening to music and trying to make sense of the whole damn thing, Lana is one of the very few artists who actually rise above the discomforting feeling that we're being taken for a ride - which is funny, in a bitter way, with the still ongoing accusations and questions about authenticity and persona that she can't shake, for the simple reason that she tried and failed to get a hit with a different name.

I will forever bitch about this, but the fact is that nobody does this to the vast majority of artists who are every bit the 'construction' that they see in Lizzy becoming Lana, and because most music reviewers are idiots who need to find a hook to base their articles on, they aren't paid to come up with anything original, so they make the same old idiotic points. But enough about the Turkeys who write most of the reviews in music magazines and blogs. This is about a record that doesn't need to answer to anything in terms of allegations or to justify its place in the rock pantheon. In a way, the artist we know as Lana Del Rey is going to overtake all of this nonsense by repeatedly putting out records that, as some fans refer to it, 'snatch our wigs'.

So what is there to say about this record other than 'it's good' or 'listen to it' or 'it slayed me? What does it look like when you meet a Lana Del Rey fan in the flesh, and have to deal with the insanity that they're selling you as a way of life. There's no doubt that when she said she was just a jazz singer, and her unnamed partner in crime was a 'cult leader', she was making a joke about the awful yet fantastic fact that we all know, deep in our hearts, that SHE is our cult leader, and all we have to do is pray silently and make the appropriate signs for her to keep being our Jazz singer. But of course, she's not a jazz singer, because none of her fans actually listen to jazz records beyond the (absolutely essential) Nina Simone catalogue, and whatever else is part of the common conception of Jazz. At least Lady Gaga stole one of her refrains from Sun Ra's 'Rocket No 9', showing that she has a sense of humour lacked by almost all of the Jazz Police who cock their eyebrows at Honeymoon as not being Jazzy.

So is this record as amazing as everything else that the artist we call 'Lana Del Rey' has released? I would say yes, but only in the way she seems to be deliberately shedding fans at every step of the way. I think we can comfortably ignore the haters by now [long side note: my theory is that these are mostly made up of nerds who thought that Lana was going to be the cute indie girl who would stick by them while they played video games which is, in my experience, the most awful experience you can ever put a friend or lover through, and were so horrified when they realised the song was actually about feeling neglected that they turned on her forever] and those Youtube reviewers who still miss every point made by any artist.

When I first had Born To Die on my iPod, I lost the ability to listen to any music that had the misfortune of not being sung by Lana. When Ultraviolence was released, I tweeted on my popular twitter page (12 followers and growing by the month) that listening to UV had become my job. Strangely, this record is registering as a more sedate version of that - I think I've listened to it ten times or so since I got hold of the CD, but it's not invading my dreams (like UV) or making me feel as though I'm losing my mind and will only be able to listen to one record ever again (like BTD). This is  more like something I've never experienced with Lana. A grower.

So here at last, is the review. Lana has somehow managed to find a way to do exactly what she wants, but with a commercial producer (who had #1 hits for Belinda Carlisle in the 80's, for Fuck's sake) and created what I want to say is her most powerful record. There are better songs and lesser songs, but in general this might be the record I want to take to heaven with me. God Knows I Tried had me weeping the first time I heard it, and when I finally got the CD version, it feels like a friend I'm going to carry for life. 'Religion' is so much better than it should be, and pushes the cliches of love=religion to new possibilities, and makes me feel as though I want to get down there myself, just to experience those feelings. Salvatore might be the best song I've ever heard, or be a cheesy rehash of 'That's Amore' - I love that Lana can still confuse and make me feel things I've never felt before.

In a way, I feel like an ass reviewing or writing about this record. I know that I'm a crazy fan (called by some a 'Stan', although murder is not on my mind). All I know is that everything that most people don't care about making a record that will destroy our world views. I feel bad for the people who needed bops, but Lana is still going to keep going 'deeper and deeper', and fuck with us every 18 months or so.

To pretend to be an objective reviewer - this is a technically more flawed record than Ultraviolence, but at the same time, it might be considered a masterpiece in years to come. The more I listen to Lana Del Rey's records, the more I feel that she is going to somehow be recognized one day. Or not ... I still love Nico's records, and none of them are considered masterpieces by the rock establishment, because raw naked emotion and musical innovation will never be better than recycled beats and cliched lyrics.

So, I give this record a score of somewhere between 9.5 and 10.5

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

It's very hard to compare Lana's albums which all of them had some masterpiece songs

but for me overall BTD was daring and pretty (OTTR and VG), UV was haunting and classy (UV, SOC and WC) and HM is just romantic and beautiful from start to finish

so HM>UV>BTD

I finally listened to the album yesterday and the songs that got my attention were: DLMBM (I really like it), TBD (slaay), Religion and Art Deco (it's so weird though).  I think this album will still grow a lot on me and I'm ready :defeated: (GKIT's verse are perfect but lana, wtf is up with that chorus???)

EotAQlJ.jpg

I thought that I'd be done with her for a while but the more time passes the more I love her. It's been several days since I first heard the songs and I still am not over them which is surprising considering how easily bored I get and how much I replayed the UO recordings. I know I did a review already but I'm not saying this album is my favourite for nothing. Even if I set aside the fact that I'm desperately madly in love with her own person in the most down-to-earth meaning, in terms of music, I strongly think it's the best album I've heard yet. I don't really like to watch movies, I think that I'm getting more emotion with music, but Honeymoon is extremely visual so it's the best of both worlds. Each song is even more pictural and atmospheric than in UV. Her vocals are flawless, the bit I have right now in mind is TBD's bridge for instance. I can't talk about each song individually like some do for some reasons, as I consider HM to be really like a movie with some chapters. I'm extremely thankful for the images and inspiration it brings me. I have fantasies of exactly what she described of what she recalled of making the album. Late night car drives, long beach walks drinking from the bottle, passing the night in a modest motel, stopping for a coffee in early mornings and buying fresh flowers, really this kind of typical american beat dream but in today's world, mixed with exotic recollections of summer holidays in the wildest parts of Italy, I don't even know, each song is a like a cohesive part of a puzzle representing Lana's soul and mine by extension. I hate how being a Lana stan is considered hipster or ~tumblr because it's actually enormously deep and beautiful, not just a white girl aesthetic or something. I love everything that makes her, I love the fact that she loves jazz even though I don't like it myself, I don't know how some people can even care about if she's fake or not, I'm myself so blatantly true and I can recognize when someone is too, I love how so much things in her are coherent and how happy and proud she is of this album because I have the intimate conviction it's her most personal sonically, even if it doesn't have the disarming rawness of UV, I remember I already had this feeling when she started to show everyone on instagram, it feels more herself than the others because it's like each part that helped her make it is itself a part of Lana, it's not just work, they are her friends and she was very involved. I don't mind the cheesiness of the lyrics. I feel like the production choices, the melodies, how much the vocals are improved, and how much it seems to mirror Lana, are what makes Honeymoon the album with the best overall quality that I have personally ever came across.

I think it's fair in order to appreciate this album a maximum to also talk about what could have been even better, as anyway I'm not Lana so there will of course be some things I respectfully disagree with. For example as always her favourite songs are the ones I appreciate the less and Terrence Loves You makes me emotional in an uncomfortable way, so does Honeymoon. I also disagree with the fact that honeymoon is the best title for this album, even though I must admit that it represents the record well in its entirety. I love Chuck's photography, but I do not think that the cover represents the album the best. It's not that I have something better in mind, I just never thought Lana's covers were the most powerful ones.

ZKcaooE.png