Sign in to follow this  
PrettyLies

Which song best represents "Lana Del Rey"

I feel like Lana's sound has evolved lately to that more "dreamy" "in your own head" kind of feel, so for that reason I'd say West Coast. But for more classic Lana, or at least how she started I'd absolutely say Video Games and Born to Die, but also Yayo (whichever version, I'll admit I adore the Paradise version but have immense respect for its past incarnations).

Boarding School, Trash Magic, Yayo capture a lot of the Lizzy-era things very well.

Video Games is probably the quintessential Lana song. A slow, melancholy song about obsessive love. Not to mention the strings are very "cinematic," and Hollywood has been an inspiration for Lana since the Lizzy days. Off To The Races is the essence of the hip hop meets Hollywood theme for BTD and characterizes Lana's writing style (little vignettes of imagery strung together, plus the Lolita quote shows Lana's love of reference).

Ride, especially if you include the monologue from the video, really captures a lot of her... uniqueness (pretentiousness). This bled over into the Ultraviolence era.

Ride, of course! I think that Video Games is a close second but doesn't come out on top for me because it focuses on someone else. 

I am obviously aware that most of Lana's songs are about someone else, and therefore a song whose subject is "the lover" might be the top for some people, I think that that Ride was truly about herself and was an extremely introspective work. I think it examined how she navigated her years leading up to where she was at that point, and broke down her coping mechanisms and ways she dealt with problems.

Monologue of course included in my evaluation.