Sign in to follow this  
sparklrtrailrheaven

TROPICO: Review (by sparklrtrailrheaven)

For my English 111 class, we had to do a film review-- for a variety of reasons (partially because I love Lana, partially because I felt it would be a creative choice, partially because I was almost out of time), I chose to review Lana's iconic 2013 music video/short film TROPICO. Below is my review! I don't believe it's my best work, especially since it was rather last-minute, and I may have been a bit harsh on the film, but here it is, regardless! Please tell me what you think of the review, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on the film as well!: 

Film Review: Tropico

“And the spirit of John moved upon the face of the waters. And John said, Let there be light: and there was light. And John saw that it was good.” This quotation, a reconfiguration of a familiar verse from the Holy Bible, begins Lana Del Rey’s short film, Tropico. From this point on, the film is positively rife with symbolism, metaphor, and similar appropriation of visuals, quotations, and iconography, all feeding into a biblically-inspired tale of “sin and redemption,” as Del Rey called it at the film’s theatrical premiere. Scored by selections from Del Rey’s 2012 extended play Paradise, and interspersed with scenes of dialogue and spoken-word poetry, the film is a sonic and visual feast. However, in spite of Del Rey’s use of stunning visuals, music, and such high-arching allegory and philosophy, viewers are left wondering if the film means anything at all, or if the twenty-seven minute short is anything more than an extended music video. 

Tropico opens with  scenes of beginnings and creation: primordial, kaleidoscopic waters rush and fold into one another, stars flash brilliantly and are born in space, a sun rises, a rose opens, and clouds roll through a glowing sky, all against the aforementioned Bible verse. A figure representing John Wayne seems to preside over the affair, and Del Rey, dressed as the Mother Mary, prays feverently that he shall forgive her of her sins. Moving to a neon-colored Garden of Eden, Wayne is joined by Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe, and Jesus, along with Del Rey and her consort, Shaun Ross, garbed as Adam and Eve.  Here begins a strange meld of Del Rey’s own passions: familiar images from the bible-- creation, the holy mother, Eden, Jesus-- are mixed and assimilated with images decidedly familiar to American culture: the cowboy, the rockstar, and the bombshell, all icons and superstars in the USA’s media-heavy society. Their voices fade in and out, spouting out catchphrases (Monroe quips: “Sex is a part of nature… and I go along with nature!”) amidst heavy radio frequency, heightening the surrealistic nature of Del Rey’s land of pop culture and spirituality. 

Tropico’s story continues as one would expect: Adam and Eve, entranced by a serpent in the garden, eat the forbidden fruit and are cast out-- however, this new-age Adam and Eve land in Los Angeles, and their downfall is depicted as Del Rey reads excerpts of Walt Whitman’s poem I Sing the Body Electric. Del Rey and Ross’ Eden quickly dissolves into various scenes of squalor and ennui-- a seedy strip joint, a dingy supermarket, a tacky mobile home. Before long, the low-income, low-class lovers tire of and abandon this drudgery, clashing with their more affluent neighbors as Adam and a gang of thugs break into a penthouse hosting a party of wealthy men (and their female entertainment), sealing their place in history as God’s wayward children, well-meaning man and woman who took the path most clearly presented to them, even when it was the wrong choice. Here is one of the few times it feels Tropico really hits its mark: perhaps, it makes one consider, the sensationalized gangsters and “thugs” that run rampant in modern media are nothing more than confused children, the “good kids” driven bad by desperation, or a lack of options. Del Rey’s music, described by one interviewer as “dreamy and dramatic, soaked in Americana and nostalgia, spiked with glamorous violence and loopy nonsensicality,” fits right in with this vision of the American Dream gone dark. 

After Tropico’s Adam and Eve hit this point, the lowest of low,  the only choice left seems to be absolution. Del Rey croons her song “Bel Air”, with its refrain of “I don’t wanna be bad, I won’t cheat you no more,” as Adam and Eve are baptized and reborn, watched over by omnipresent John Wayne and Del Rey’s ceaselessly praying Mary. They are forgiven, they embrace, and they ascend into the clouds, ending the film-- however, questions remain long after the credits have rolled. 

Del Rey’s film is visually and audibly stunning, that’s for certain. Colors are used to awe-inspiring effect throughout the film: Eden is full of vibrant pinks, greens and reds, Adam and Eve’s Earth after the fall is drab, full of muted tans and off-whites, both the penthouse party and the strip club are coated in icy blues and silvers, and the rolling paradise-esque fields at the end are sun-drenched, with Adam and Eve changing out of solid black into pure white garments. The use of color and strong visuals is complemented perfectly by Del Rey’s music, which exists as some hybrid of jazz, pop, and orchestral music-- a perfect match for Tropico’s mixing and matching of times, places, and symbols. 

Despite the brilliant aesthetics, Tropico lacks substance. It presents itself as an epic, but never really delivers. While all of Tropico’s references, allusions, and appropriations seem to be used to make it legitimate art, and not just a music video in long-form, they instead make it feel plagiaristic and borrowed. Real, raw emotion is replaced with flashy visuals and heavy-handed symbolism, stripping Tropico of anything really human, which is disappointing. It’s as if Del Rey’s pretentiousness is her downfall-- if Tropico, which presents itself as a story of the human condition on a grand scale, were to be more human, perhaps it would meet its potential. Instead, it never really lifts off and feels as if it were only the trailer or preview for something much bigger. 

In spite of these shortcomings, Tropico remains a stunning example of music videos as an art form. To call it a short film is misadvertisement, but to call it only a music video is selling it short. Tropico pushes boundaries, unafraid to mix the sacred and the squalid, and blurs the line between what’s art and what’s commercial. All in all, it may not meet the lofty goals it sets for itself, but entirely succeeds as a film that is entertaining, entrancing, and exciting to view.

o4qjp4j.png

You forgot about the most Beautiful moment of the mini movie; the scene where John declares his love for America ! :crying:

But I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. For something you did in a hurry, your style was very nice, really! (Ever thought of doing more Lana reviews to post here ? :creep: )

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

You forgot about the most Beautiful moment of the mini movie; the scene where John declares his love for America ! :crying:

But I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. For something you did in a hurry, your style was very nice, really! (Ever thought of doing more Lana reviews to post here ? :creep: )

Oops, I did forget that part-- how could I, haha?!  :hdu:

And oh my god, thank you so much! Now that I know someone would actually read it, I'll definitely consider doing more reviews! You're too sweet :heart:

o4qjp4j.png

I really agree with your review! Great perspective & thank you for sharing I love reading this stuff :kiss:

You're a very good writer as well, a genuinely captivating read! xo

Loved reading this, your writing is very enchanting and rich. Like someone above said, please, do more reviews, it was a pleasure to read this one. You could pursue a career in writing if you'd like! This seemed to me incredibly professional, like something I would read in a magazine. Congratulations on your work :) Hope it gives you a good grade!

P.S.: I wrote an article about it too, but mine is more focused in how Tropico encapsulates the vision and themes of the "Paradise" album and how they both are complementary in telling the story of freedom in mankind. But it is, unfortunately, in portuguese, and it's like, 10 pages long, so I'm too lazy to translate it. =/

P.S.: I wrote an article about it too, but mine is more focused in how Tropico encapsulates the vision and themes of the "Paradise" album and how they both are complementary in telling the story of freedom in mankind. But it is, unfortunately, in portuguese, and it's like, 10 pages long, so I'm too lazy to translate it. =/

NOOOOOOOOOOO why tease us about it !  :what:  :crying5:  :sadcore2:

Haha I love reading actual in depth articles about artist's art. I remember this Lady Gaga blog where people could post real essays about her songs, visuals, music inspirations and everything. It was really interesting.

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

I really agree with your review! Great perspective & thank you for sharing I love reading this stuff :kiss:

You're a very good writer as well, a genuinely captivating read! xo

Thank you so, so much! Also, cool that you agree-- I figured there'd be a lot of dissent over me dragging Tropico, so I'm surprised to see so much agreement!  :hdu:

Loved reading this, your writing is very enchanting and rich. Like someone above said, please, do more reviews, it was a pleasure to read this one. You could pursue a career in writing if you'd like! This seemed to me incredibly professional, like something I would read in a magazine. Congratulations on your work :) Hope it gives you a good grade!

Oh my goodness, you are too sweet! I'm blushing at your kind comments  :ohmy: I definitely enjoy writing, and it seems I'm not too shabby at it, so I guess I'll keep at it! :kiss: (and, by the way, I got a 95 on the paper, so I'm satisfied, for sure!) 

Oh, and I'd love to read your article! It sounds like a really, really interesting way to look at Paradise/Tropico. If you ever decide to translate it, I'll be ready to check it out, for sure! Did you write it just for fun, or for some sort of assignment? 

loved reading this

also i love your vocabulary, great job!

Thank you so much! The vocabulary comment especially makes me smile because that's something I usually pride myself on-- even if I speak kind of illiterately on LB sometimes  :um3:

o4qjp4j.png

Oh my goodness, you are too sweet! I'm blushing at your kind comments  :ohmy: I definitely enjoy writing, and it seems I'm not too shabby at it, so I guess I'll keep at it! :kiss: (and, by the way, I got a 95 on the paper, so I'm satisfied, for sure!) 

Oh, and I'd love to read your article! It sounds like a really, really interesting way to look at Paradise/Tropico. If you ever decide to translate it, I'll be ready to check it out, for sure! Did you write it just for fun, or for some sort of assignment? 

I'm a part of the biggest Lana fan website from Brazil. We do lots of things, articles, analysis of songs and videos, research regarding her areas of interesting, such as the Beat Generation (another member wrote a HUGE article on this), the influence of T.S. Eliot and pop culture in Lana's work, etc.

I basically work on songs and videos analysis 'cause I'm very sensitive and have an ability (dont know if I can call it that) to see deep meaning in her work, rather than just what the superficial words translate. I've analysed Tropico, the Paradise album, the Honeymoon song, Pawn Shop Blues among some other stuff I don't really recall right now hahaha I'd have to check it out to know the complete list. So I basically write to the site, it's pretty fun, but takes me time, 'cause I really have to dive into the atmosphere of the music and try to capture what's behind it before I can write anything about it. 

I'll try to translate something for you guys, maybe you'll enjoy reading it :)

Here's the link to the Paradise analysis: http://ldra.com.br/2014/08/lana-del-rey-uma-analise-do-paradise-e-tropico/

You probably won't understand anything, but I'm sending you just the same, 'cause amidst the article we always insert important gifs, images and some other stuff that adds a lot to the writing and the readers compreehension on the text, besides making the aesthetic really beautiful.

Do you know it? hahahaha 

For those who don't know, LDRA is an abbreviation of Lana Del Rey Addiction, our website hahaha

Of Course I Do, LDRA is famous out of Brazil too boy ahahah  :D

All of u do such a great job <3

Omg what a beautiful review, tropic is a underestimated masterpiece, so bad..

:kiss:

Thank you!! :kiss:

HEY! Google translator helped A LOT. I got the text in english pretty easy. Do you guys think I should post it here or make another post for it?

@BlueJeans @@sparklrtrailrheaven

Ooh, I say you should make a new thread for it! You deserve the spotlight for your review/essay, too! 

o4qjp4j.png

Thank you!! :kiss:

Ooh, I say you should make a new thread for it! You deserve the spotlight for your review/essay, too! 

hahaha Ok, then. I'm reviewing a lot of things that the translator got wrong, but it's like, huge, I don't even remember the text being this long, it's over 10 pages (I doubt anyone will read anyway). As soon as I finish reviewing it, I'll post it here :)