Sign in to follow this  
SissyReed

Dead Lover // Divorced themes in Lana songs

OK, OK so I need songs with "dead lover" theme in Lana songs for my new playlist :creep: :creep: :creep: . By far I have found:

1. Dark Paradise

2. Summertime Sadness

3. Body Electric

4. Old Money - I feel like "But if you send for me, you know I'll come" is about a woman waiting for the sign to kill herself to join her dead lover but idk

5. Terrence Loves You

6. Chelsea Hotel No.2

7. Elvis - idk but all this "Elvis, where are you?" sounds sooo desperate :defeated:

8. Fordham Road - this songs just sounds like weeping in the graveyard for me

9. End of The World - we only have live cover of that song but it sounds like she lost her lover because he died :(

10. Bel Air - dying and finally meeting her lover

also:

am I the only one who feels like Lana was married one day? i know it sounds crazy and it's probably her imagination but:

• "Off to the Races" - "He doesn't mind I have a Las Vegas past"
  • "Yayo" - "Fifties baby doll dress for my 'I do", It only takes two hours to Nevada"
  • "Honeymoon" - obviously
  • "Brite Lites" - "I'm taking off my wedding ring"

nsaalk.jpg

well some people apparently thought the line in "JFK" "You got a way like JFK" was "You got away like JFK" meaning the lover died lol

oh, interesting... :sadcore3: and i like it that it can be taken both ways ;)

nsaalk.jpg

Hawaiian Tropic could work

yesss, totally! i forgot about this song :defeated: also, i've read somewhere that "every man gets his wish" may be about the lover who promised "everything" to the girl but died so now lana's singing "every man gets his wish, where is mine?" :crying2: :crying2: :crying2:

nsaalk.jpg

yesss, totally! i forgot about this song :defeated: also, i've read somewhere that "every man gets his wish" may be about the lover who promised "everything" to the girl but died so now lana's singing "every man gets his wish, where is mine?" :crying2: :crying2: :crying2:

That's so sad omg. I don't know how people feel but Every Man Gets His Wish is both happy & sad. Meanwhile, Hawaiian Tropic will straight up make me cry

tumblr_put6epa8mC1uz4347o9_500.gif

Well, I don't know about Fordham Road. I've always taken it to be, quite literally, the opposite of Chelsea Hotel No. 2 as well as the opposite of the song Jump from AKA. Regardless of how FR sounds to you, think about the lyrics some more.

Oh, and perhaps you're missing Jump.

Well, I don't know about Fordham Road. I've always taken it to be, quite literally, the opposite of Chelsea Hotel No. 2 as well as the opposite of the song Jump from AKA. Regardless of how FR sounds to you, think about the lyrics some more.

Oh, and perhaps you're missing Jump.

i was always feeling like JUMP is about DYING in the exact moment just like HEAVY HITTER, i guess :) :)

and hm... i think like "the stone mary in the garden" from fordham road is the stone mary on the graveyard and she tells Lana to "walk away" and start living her life, heal after the loss of her lover, but it's just how i interpret it :D

nsaalk.jpg

i was always feeling like JUMP is about DYING in the exact moment just like HEAVY HITTER, i guess :) :)

and hm... i think like "the stone mary in the garden" from fordham road is the stone mary on the graveyard and she tells Lana to "walk away" and start living her life, heal after the loss of her lover, but it's just how i interpret it :D

I interpret it (i.e., Fordham Road) literally as making the exact opposite decision that Janis Joplin made.

I interpret it literally as making the exact opposite decision that Janis Joplin made.

it's alright! and very interesting as well! i love how almost every Lana song can be seen in many ways :flutter: :flutter:

nsaalk.jpg

Drive By from Sirens has the whole death row story. "Is this what you wished, did you want to die?"

And the whole message of Fine China is kind of like a failed engagement/marriage, which could be categorized in divorce I suppose.

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

Drive By from Sirens has the whole death row story. "Is this what you wished, did you want to die?"

And the whole message of Fine China is kind of like a failed engagement/marriage, which could be categorized in divorce I suppose.

thank you!  :kiss: i forgot about "Drive By" :defeated: i haven't listened to "Sirens" in a while :(

i thought about "Fine China" as well but unfortunately we don't have a full version of this song :heidi:

nsaalk.jpg

Pawn Shop Blues, maybe?

"In the name of higher consciousness
I let the best man I knew go"

And The Blackest Day too.

"You're deader than ever"

Could be metaphorical tho. Like, they broke up and now he's "deader than ever"  :quote: . It's up to you. ;)   

32c003478b7ec35a4b8ae368a22ebabc5be17593

Blue Jeans could work especially when you consider verses such as Then they took you away- stole you out of my life.

I always personally thought that it hinted towards her lover being murdered beacuse of his pursuit of money (Chasing Paper) and that the last chorus is her proclamation to Lana's deceased lover that she was the best girlfriend he ever had she will love him forever. 

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

Maybe it's not actually about death, but a metaphorical death in their relationship. So basically, Damn You could fit in here where "I pray your life is sweet, you fucker" and "Now you fall asleep with another, damn you" is about what really happened, he moved on and she didn't, so he was dead to her and she writes her life about death and darkness. Black Beauty proved that on UV. When she was leaving Barry, that song was on the album and remember how it effected her when it leaked? Darkness and death are about her exes, actually living or not in real life. That explains her saying "I like to make up stories bout my life" comes in from Prom Song (Gone Wrong).

(sorry I'm stoned so my mind is just going crazy on a "theory")

PNoV6l.gif