Mileena

Paradise - Pre-Release Thread

I know your wife and she wouldn't mind, I'm looking to get fucked hard...really. Those lyrics don't really come across to me as an intelligent woman exploring her gender and sexuality in deep beautiful ways like some people have been saying to me.

I feel like that's because we're in a world were we believe this sort of idea about sex to be dirty and unacceptable. But I think this is an exploration of Lana's personal sexuality. Of course it's harder for us to connect to it because it's not how we feel about sex. However this vein of sexual exploration has been constant through Lana's work and while I don't think it's there for shock value, I do believe it's just what turns her on. Lyrics are personal and we should remember she's not necessarily writing for us but for herself, even just as a cathartic measure.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

If lana wants to get into sexual detail she needs to read 50 shades of grey (I haven't read it but I had heard it goes into detail)

:pft:

I actually wrote a lana-style song just thinking about this but I'll keep it to myself.

I feel like that's because we're in a world were we believe this sort of idea about sex to be dirty and unacceptable. But I think this is an exploration of Lana's personal sexuality. Of course it's harder for us to connect to it because it's not how we feel about sex. However this vein of sexual exploration has been constant through Lana's work and while I don't think it's there for shock value, I do believe it's just what turns her on. Lyrics are personal and we should remember she's not necessarily writing for us but for herself, even just as a cathartic measure.

Sorry if I came across as kind of forceful. I'm asexual, so meh. But I fully respect her sexual choices. If she wants to get fucked hard and rough in the pouring rain by an old man who's cheating on his wife, good for her. It's just the powerlessness she reflects regarding that kind of choice that bothers me. Like, it's how she repeatedly self-infantializes herself and seems so apathetic or helpless toward her part in a relationship; even if she likes a submissive role, I feel like she should still be in charge of her sexuality and who she is as a whole person. It doesn't seem healthy and I kind of worry about her. But I will stand by my pussy tastes like pepsi cola being for shock value. :)

there is a light & it never goes out

Omg it's out in 3 weeks here!

Are you in Australia? Follow-up: Are you prepared to be harassed by the entire board if it's released there and doesn't leak before its release?

Sorry if I came across as kind of forceful. I'm asexual, so meh. But I fully respect her sexual choices. If she wants to get fucked hard and rough in the pouring rain by an old man who's cheating on his wife, good for her. It's just the powerlessness she reflects regarding that kind of choice that bothers me. Like, it's how she repeatedly self-infantializes herself and seems so apathetic or helpless toward her part in a relationship; even if she likes a submissive role, I feel like she should still be in charge of her sexuality and who she is as a whole person. It doesn't seem healthy and I kind of worry about her. But I will stand by my pussy tastes like pepsi cola being for shock value. :)

You weren't being forceful, I just don't necessarily agree with your perspective (a good thing, as it creates interesting conversation, right?). Thanks for weighing in though, your opinion is interesting ^_^

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

Well we see a lot of Lana playing submissive and it's easy to argue for her anti-feminism with older lyrics like "you can be the boss", "I like it when you treat me mean", et cetera. But I think on this new album, while it is sexual, it's kind of the flip-side. In "Cola" and "Burning Desire", I get less kept woman than I have in the past and more aggressive femme fatale. Bad if you don't like sex, but nothing to really indicate an argument on feminism. Yet.

I'm not sure whether I like the "fucked hard" line in Gods & Monsters or not. It could be a release of the underlying sexual tension in the song, since she is an "angel in the garden of evil." It gives me a more roughed up Picnic at Hanging Rock or Repulsion vibe. Mysterious. I might like it a lot more depending on how the full version is.

My opinions on this album are a hot mess, sorry guys. I'm just confused on where I stand with these snippets. I'm convinced I like American in a campy sort of "I know the lyrics suck but they suck so badly they're just fun" way.

Also Cola, the chorus sounds fun, but i'm not sure about the rest of the song. But I don't think this will be remotely as good as BTD. After all, it's the "afterthought" so I don't really predict it to live up to BTD.

I guess I'll have to suffer these next 20 days with indecisive opinions and Lanapolar disorder until I can finally make a decision on whether this is my cup of chocolate milk or not.

Also Cola, the chorus sounds fun, but i'm not sure about the rest of the song. But I don't think this will be remotely as good as BTD. After all, it's the "afterthought" so I don't really predict it to live up to BTD.

But she told me and a room of hundreds of other people that she considered it better than BTD :diva:

I don't like this "afterthought" classification because I think she did put some work into it, and as a musician she's always writing songs, it just so happens these were written in the nine months since her previous album, rather than over a period of three years like both AKA and BTD.

Well we see a lot of Lana playing submissive and it's easy to argue for her anti-feminism with older lyrics like "you can be the boss", "I like it when you treat me mean", et cetera. But I think on this new album, while it is sexual, it's kind of the flip-side. In "Cola" and "Burning Desire", I get less kept woman than I have in the past and more aggressive femme fatale. Bad if you don't like sex, but nothing to really indicate an argument on feminism. Yet.

That's one of the reasons I like Burning Desire and Serial Killer so much. It seems like she's a real go-getter, in touch with her role in her sexuality and not shy about what she wants, even if it's to "play submissive" for a while. The lyrics seem more self-aware and they show her maturity in her love life. I definitely like aggressive femme fatale Lana, and i'll be interesting to see if the whole album is more "feminist" or equality-minded/personally stronger than BtD. I feel like Lana's heading more in that direction as a person and an artist. (And it's not that I don't like sex as a behavior or social issue, or that I dislike people who do like it; it's just something I don't personally want to do, just to clarify.)

That's one of the reasons I like Burning Desire and Serial Killer so much. It seems like she's a real go-getter, in touch with her role in her sexuality and not shy about what she wants, even if it's to "play submissive" for a while. The lyrics seem more self-aware and they show her maturity in her love life. I definitely like aggressive femme fatale Lana, and i'll be interesting to see if the whole album is more "feminist" or equality-minded/personally stronger than BtD. I feel like Lana's heading more in that direction as a person and an artist. (And it's not that I don't like sex as a behavior or social issue, or that I dislike people who do like it; it's just something I don't personally want to do, just to clarify.)

Lana's songs in general aren't too in your face with the sex references I think, they're more just... nicely put there, not out of place or uncomfortable.

Sexual lyrics have always been in Lizzy and Lana lyrics but in the Paradise Edition it just seems sloppily done. Gods & Monsters was beautiful with the 1st snippet but once the longer 1:30 snippet came out it sounds like she just casually threw in the "fucked hard" part. Kinda ruined the "deeper, self-realization, tragic life" vibe I was expecting from it.

Also:

Completely agree with anyone saying that the pussy lyrics in Cola are done for shock value....ever since Lana released the snippet video those are the only lyrics many of people have really gravitated towards (I should add it's mostly the younger kids -13-15- age groups). All over twitter & tumblr those pepsi cola pussy lyrics are plastered over every Lana picture/gif *sigh*

Yayo & Body Electric sound overproduced on PE. I adore YAYO LDRAKALG version & Body Electric live so I guess I'll just stick with those~

All of my negativity aside, I am loving Bel Air & American. I'm shocked many have said they hated Bel Air...it sounds so cinematic & nostalgic <3 I get all those chills I got back when I first heard Born to Die

I don't think Paradise Edition will come even close to the brilliance that it BTD as a whole but I am grateful for any new music coming from Lana. I really think her writing style is evolving, maybe not exactly how I would have expected to, but it is changing imo.

It's never 2 late 2 be the things that u might've been* i'll sing till u fall asleep- u try and remember when*the future looked lush and sweet

I totally agree Mafiosi. American though, I like it for the wrong reasons I guess. Bel Air slays all though. I'm pumped to get a good quality version of Bel Air in full, I'll be playing it 24/7. It's so dark and beautiful.

Sexual lyrics have always been in Lizzy and Lana lyrics but in the Paradise Edition it just seems sloppily done. Gods & Monsters was beautiful with the 1st snippet but once the longer 1:30 snippet came out it sounds like she just casually threw in the "fucked hard" part. Kinda ruined the "deeper, self-realization, tragic life" vibe I was expecting from it.

Also:

Completely agree with anyone saying that the pussy lyrics in Cola are done for shock value....ever since Lana released the snippet video those are the only lyrics many of people have really gravitated towards (I should add it's mostly the younger kids -13-15- age groups). All over twitter & tumblr those pepsi cola pussy lyrics are plastered over every Lana picture/gif *sigh*

Yayo & Body Electric sound overproduced on PE. I adore YAYO LDRAKALG version & Body Electric live so I guess I'll just stick with those~

All of my negativity aside, I am loving Bel Air & American. I'm shocked many have said they hated Bel Air...it sounds so cinematic & nostalgic <3 I get all those chills I got back when I first heard Born to Die

I don't think Paradise Edition will come even close to the brilliance that it BTD as a whole but I am grateful for any new music coming from Lana. I really think her writing style is evolving, maybe not exactly how I would have expected to, but it is changing imo.

All of my thoughts exactly. Thanks for expressing them :_

I'm assuming Lana listened to the album. So maybe the sloppy/rough sound is intentional? Maybe BTD was too boxed in for her and she wants to break free and experiment a little? Idk.

Guest Maru the Cat

Well we see a lot of Lana playing submissive and it's easy to argue for her anti-feminism with older lyrics like "you can be the boss", "I like it when you treat me mean", et cetera.

I don't understand why people equate being submissive with being anti-feminist. It doesn't make any sense. No, I don't need someone to explain how people make the connection, I understand it and I'm pointing out that it's stupid. Those lyrics are not anti-feminist.

This shit is though:

If they said I was a bad singer that would be one thing because I know it’s not true, but when they say, ‘Oh, look at her face, she looks so plastic...’ that, as a girl, hurts your feelings. Those comments made me re-evaluate everything.”

I don't understand why I'm the only one calling her out on this. :imbeingsarcasticbitch2:

I don't understand feminism to be honest. I googled the definition and I'm confused since it's not what all these social justice blogs on Tumblr make it out to be. I guess I'm missing a piece of the puzzle. I don't see anything anti-feminist with Lana being submissive since it's her choice. And isn't that what counts? It's her choice.