Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

FROOT's production isn't the best, some songs sound really cheapy and bad like Better Than That or Forget, but I guess that's because she made the album with just one producer or bc she decided to make the album in a simple way, I guess? so that's why it sounds not very professional.

Now, if we're realistic, Electra Heart has more professional and better production than TFJ & FROOT, but lyrically speaking, TFJ and FROOT are way better than EH.

i agree on everything (aside from the fact that froot has better writing. Some songs are good, others not so much (like savages... what was she thinking)

i hate it when artists say they wanna do a more "stripped back" and "personal" album bc most of the time it just means weaker instrumentals (florence + the machine is shaking in her shack in the middle of the scottish woods while feeding her bats and cursing the villagers nearby). i get she wanted to it all by herself, but her intent doesn't justify the overall lack of diversity. i can still appreciate the era tho

i agree on everything (aside from the fact that froot has better writing. Some songs are good, others not so much (like savages... what was she thinking)

i hate it when artists say they wanna do a more "stripped back" and "personal" album bc most of the time it just means weaker instrumentals (florence + the machine is shaking in her shack in the middle of the scottish woods while feeding her bats and cursing the villagers nearby). i get she wanted to it all by herself, but her intent doesn't justify the overall lack of diversity. i can still appreciate the era tho

girl omfg gtfo Savages is a lyrical masterpiece...

But I think she also decided to make Froot with one producer bc in Electra Heart she used a lot of producers and it was a mess

and again how you dare to say savages has bad lyrics like jesus its one of her best songs

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

girl omfg gtfo Savages is a lyrical masterpiece...

But I think she also decided to make Froot with one producer bc in Electra Heart she used a lot of producers and it was a mess

and again how you dare to say savages has bad lyrics like jesus its one of her best songs

yeah she probably wanted to do things more lowkey having just been out of eh

savages is cute and i like the message but it's so out of touch with the rest of the record... like all the songs are about love (apart from happy) and here she comes out of the blue with savages... it doesnt make sense. at least sex yeah and girls were both backed up by a stronger sense of rebellion against the system, froot imho doesn't have room for this kind of commentary. rather, it can, but she should've gone more in depth imo. it sounds out of place

savages is cute and i like the message but it's so out of touch with the rest of the record... like all the songs are about love (apart from happy) and here she comes out of the blue with savages... it doesnt make sense. at least sex yeah and girls were both backed up by a stronger sense of rebellion against the system, froot imho doesn't have room for this kind of commentary. rather, it can, but she should've gone more in depth imo. it sounds out of place

I like Girls but it's really inmature lyrically speaking. Sex Yeah is by far one of her best songs, I absolutely love it, even being the most off-theme song on the album.

But I guess, same as Sex Yeah, she decided to make another off-theme song against the society, and at least to me, Savages does fit in the album since FROOT is her most sincere and mature album, lyrically speaking again (idk how many times i have mentioned the word "lyrically")

edit: also savages>sex yeah :3

I like Girls but it's really inmature lyrically speaking. Sex Yeah is by far one of her best songs, I absolutely love it, even being the most off-theme song on the album.

But I guess, same as Sex Yeah, she decided to make another off-theme song against the society, and at least to me, Savages does fit in the album since FROOT is her most sincere and mature album, lyrically speaking again (idk how many times i have mentioned the word "lyrically")

but being "mature" is not enough... like if she did a song about global warming or the deforestation of the forest, no matter how mature it would be, it would still not fit. Being mature is not the point of froot. The main theme of froot is finding oneself, finding love (yikes.....), being satisfied with what you have and at peace. Savages, despite being mature, just doesn't fit. Also how mature is better than that, whose only reason to exist is to be a jab at ellie goulding?  

but being "mature" is not enough... like if she did a song about global warming or the deforestation of the forest, no matter how mature it would be, it would still not fit. Being mature is not the point of froot. The main theme of froot is finding oneself, finding love (yikes.....), being satisfied with what you have and at peace. Savages, despite being mature, just doesn't fit. Also how mature is better than that, whose only reason to exist is to be a jab at ellie goulding?

I'm not saying that FROOT is a 100% mature album, I'm saying that clearly is her most mature

Better Than That isn't good and mature, I agree, it even is a filler with Weeds, but again, Froot its not 100% mature. And the honesty is one of the main themes on the whole album, so I guess why the song is there.

songs like Froot, Blue, BTT, etc are funny tracks or not "mature" but they're good and they fit there (except BTT)

FROOT is not a concept album. It's not a story. It's not a feeling nor a fable or whatever. She didn't create a concept to filter the songs that were meant for the album, BECAUSE THE SONGS ON FROOT ARE ABOUT DIFFERENT THINGS, IMPORTANT THINGS FOR 2014 MARINA. Trying to determinate which songs are worthy of being on an album feels... honestly pointless.

Am I the only one that really likes the production on FROOT? Especially on tracks like Gold, Solitaire and Froot

Literally the worst two tracks she's ever made. FROOT had really good production though overall, and so did Electra Heart. TFJ is best not talked about.

savages is cute and i like the message but it's so out of touch with the rest of the record... like all the songs are about love (apart from happy) and here she comes out of the blue with savages... it doesnt make sense. at least sex yeah and girls were both backed up by a stronger sense of rebellion against the system, froot imho doesn't have room for this kind of commentary. rather, it can, but she should've gone more in depth imo. it sounds out of place

I don't think the album's main theme is love. The whole album is her reflecting on herself and life now that she has a better happier outlook. That being said, I think Better Than That, Weeds, Savages, and Immortal are meant to show that even when you're happy, not everything is the best. There are still lows, but it's about how you perceive things. She does that in the latter half of the album with a level of maturity that was missing from TFJ and EH (which to me appear more like her just lashing out at all of her problems rather than acknowledging that they are problems.)

giphy.gif

I can't believe there's something left in my chest anymore 

Literally the worst two tracks she's ever made. FROOT had really good production though overall, and so did Electra Heart. TFJ is best not talked about.

:rip:

Solitaire is my depressive anthem, and Gold is cute

The whole album feels so heavenly, and the heavy songs like Froot, BTT and Savages are BOPSSSSSS

BTT is ok but I hate the production... I guess that's because it was the first recorded song so she was slowly finding the sound for the album

Am I the only one that really likes the production on FROOT? Especially on tracks like Gold, Solitaire and Froot

Solitaire is one of my favorite songs on FROOT tbh. Especially the pre-chorus. The amount of slander it gets is ridiculous.

Radioactive is hands down my least favorite Marina song, but the acoustic version is so good. Idk what was going on with that eurodance production but I was not here for it.

YES. If a different artist made it, I'd consider it pretty good, but for Marina standards? Idk. The acoustic is truly the only listenable version, even if I still don't play it all that much.

I don't think the album's main theme is love. The whole album is her reflecting on herself and life now that she has a better happier outlook. That being said, I think Better Than That, Weeds, Savages, and Immortal are meant to show that even when you're happy, not everything is the best. There are still lows, but it's about how you perceive things. She does that in the latter half of the album with a level of maturity that was missing from TFJ and EH (which to me appear more like her just lashing out at all of her problems rather than acknowledging that they are problems.)

1. Happy (finding oneself)

2. Froot (about love)

3. I'm A Ruin (about love)

4. Blue (about love)

5. Forget (about love)

6. Gold (about love)

7. INHA (about love)

8. CPMD (snubbing feminism bc you'd rather cook for your bf? Queen of women's rights)

9. Solitaire (finding oneself)

10. BTT (Ellie Goulding)

11. Weeds (about love)

12. Savages (the ONU apparently)

13. Immortal (about love)

8/13 songs are about love, which makes it the predominant theme. I'm not mad at it, it's just the nature of the album

I do believe she is more mature in Froot, I just don't think that just bc something is mature it would mean it fits into the album

I'm not saying that FROOT is a 100% mature album, I'm saying that clearly is her most mature

Better Than That isn't good and mature, I agree, it even is a filler with Weeds, but again, Froot its not 100% mature. And the honesty is one of the main themes on the whole album, so I guess why the song is there.

songs like Froot, Blue, BTT, etc are funny tracks or not "mature" but they're good and they fit there (except BTT)

That's not what I said either. I just said that you said that Savages fits with Froot for the sole fact that it's mature. Which I don't think is the case

I don't believe we should be looking for "maturity" in her albums either... Froot is a good album regardless of the fact that it's mature or not. TFJ is an excellent album despite the fact that she sounds like a brat in it. As I said, I just don't think maturity is a good way to gauge whether or not a song fits within Froot. Every song fit into the album bc Marina is the artist, she is the only person who has the artistic vision pertaining to Froot itself and thus the more appropriate to say which song fits best. However, from a listener standpoint, there are some songs that could feel out of place (e.g. Savages). 

FROOT is not a concept album. It's not a story. It's not a feeling nor a fable or whatever. She didn't create a concept to filter the songs that were meant for the album, BECAUSE THE SONGS ON FROOT ARE ABOUT DIFFERENT THINGS, IMPORTANT THINGS FOR 2014 MARINA. Trying to determinate which songs are worthy of being on an album feels... honestly pointless.

In fact that's not what I said. Every song is "worthy" of being on the album. However, Savages does feel out of touch with the rest. Froot is not a concept album but it does have a fil rouge, and Savages is kinda detached from it. Is it bad? No. Shouldn't it be on the album? No. 

Btw every discussion on every album ever is pointless lol LB as a whole is pointless, it's just a way to spend time

Omg critiquing something ≠ not liking it wtfffffff

Omg critiquing something ≠ not liking it wtfffffff

Girl it's not that deep, all I asked was if I was the only one who really likes the production on FROOT, and you were def not giving that impression by saying it all sounds like demos.

qfrWuBl.png