Your Girl Lana

Gq Magazine (Interview And Photos)

You can see how this can be problematic. It can send the wrong message to girls and her young fans

Oh, I forgot to respond to this in my first post in this topic. I've never bought this argument about any celebrity unless they portray themselves as a role model. I'm with Charles Barkley on this one:

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Guest MissDaytona

Oh, I forgot to respond to this in my first post in this topic. I've never bought this argument about any celebrity unless they portray themselves as a role model. I'm with Charles Barkley on this one:

True, but young teens are really impressionable. I just hope people don't try to emulate the things Lana talks about in her lyrics or try to be just like her. I feel like quoting Fiona Apple's VMA speech haha

Guest Chloe

Lana's beautiful in this shoot, but that's it. It's pretty objectifying and if I were her I'd find it degrading..

@TrailerParkDoll (forum user MissDaytona I believe?) posted this link on Twitter, which I think really says it all.

Ugh, that is so upsetting, and yeah, that's what i'm talking about. Great juxtaposition of pictures in that link that totally exposes GQ's aforementioned bullshit. This is so blatant and stereotypical it almost, almost seems like satire. Is it really the year 2012?

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

True, but young teens are really impressionable. I just hope people don't try to emulate the things Lana talks about in her lyrics or try to be just like her. I feel like quoting Fiona Apple's VMA speech haha

But it's down to those young teen's parents/guardians to tell them what's right and what's wrong. I'm sorry, but if someone tries to copy anyone at all in terms of their attitudes or things they do or w/e then they're dumb. Teenager or not. I'm 14, and I don't try and be like Lana (I just steal her dress styles every now and again ;) ).

4r9w86.jpg

I'm confused.

Are you worried about lana's lyrics? Or these pictures? They communicate the same essential message, which she even blatantly states in the interview saying, quite bluntly, "there's nothing ironic about it." And Lana's never really been marketed purposefully to a young audience, i don think.

Also, these pictures don't communicate anything new that lana hasn't already said in her music. I'm confused about what your concerned about now, when this has been part of her message from the beginning?

Ugh, that is so upsetting, and yeah, that's what i'm talking about. Great juxtaposition of pictures in that link that totally exposes GQ's aforementioned bullshit. This is so blatant and stereotypical it almost, almost seems like satire. Is it really the year 2012?

This is pretty sad, tho. I do have to agree. Hopefully one day I'll be on the cover of GQ- NUDE- with clothed women all around me. Wouldn't that be something?

Guest MissDaytona

But it's down to those young teen's parents/guardians to tell them what's right and what's wrong. I'm sorry, but if someone tries to copy anyone at all in terms of their attitudes or things they do or w/e then they're dumb. Teenager or not. I'm 14, and I don't try and be like Lana (I just steal her dress styles every now and again ;) ).

I'm confused.

Are you worried about lana's lyrics? Or these pictures? They communicate the same essential message, which she even blatantly states in the interview saying, quite bluntly, "there's nothing ironic about it." And Lana's never really been marketed purposefully to a young audience, i don think.

Also, these pictures don't communicate anything new that lana hasn't already said in her music. I'm confused about what your concerned about now, when this has been part of her message from the beginning?

Sigh.. no offense, but I'm guessing neither of you are women or understand how degrading the GQ thing is.

As far as her Lyrics and her interview- I just think it can be easily misconstrued...which isn't her responsibility, but it is something to think about

Guest MissDaytona

This is pretty sad, tho. I do have to agree. Hopefully one day I'll be on the cover of GQ- NUDE- with clothed women all around me. Wouldn't that be something?

hahaha! or even ladies home journal ~8)

Guest Chloe

Lana may be beautiful, but at the end of the day she's in a magazine (a mens edition), wearing no clothes, being groped by a man, and touching herself. I'm sorry but it's sad if that's what the world has come to..

Sigh.. no offense, but I'm guessing neither of you are women or understand how degrading the GQ thing is.

As far as her Lyrics and her interview- I just think it can be easily misconstrued...which isn't her responsibility, but it is something to think about

She's a celebrity, what does she expect? What do her fans expect? I am a woman, a lesbian in fact.

4r9w86.jpg

Guest Chloe

She's a celebrity, what does she expect? What do her fans expect? I am a woman, a lesbian in fact.

We expect Lana to have some dignity. If she's happy it's beside the point. Dignified women don't let creative directors grope them in a mens magazine. I'm not hating on Lana or whatever, I just think it's degrading.

We expect Lana to have some dignity. If she's happy it's beside the point. Dignified women don't let creative directors grope them in a mens magazine. I'm not hating on Lana or whatever, I just think it's degrading.

She was topless on the BTD single album cover, so she's never had any dignity if that's the case.

4r9w86.jpg

Guest MissDaytona

Personally, I have no problem w/ nudity, it's just the way and means it was presented

Personally, I have no problem w/ nudity, it's just the way and means it was presented

I can honestly see it from your point of view, I personally love nudity - nude beaches are totally my thing haha. But I do see what you mean about the men being in elaborate suits and such beforehand.

4r9w86.jpg

Guest Chloe

She was topless on the BTD single album cover, so she's never had any dignity if that's the case.

I don't like the Born to Die cover either. I'm not being prude or anything, I just think it's degrading to get to the point where you'd agree to pose nude, touch yourself, and let someone grope you in a mens magazine. She can do what she wants, but if I were her (which I'm obviously not), I wouldn't do it. The whole presentation of the shoot is unsettling..

I'll support her whatever she does..

I don't like the Born to Die cover either. I'm not being prude or anything, I just think it's degrading to get to the point where you'd agree to pose nude, touch yourself, and let someone grope you in a mens magazine. She can do what she wants, but if I were her (which I'm obviously not), I wouldn't do it.

I'll support her whatever she does..

That's true though, I mean masturbating? Not cool in my books. And I do agree with you as well. But as I've mentioned before, I do love nudity so I'll naturally have a different opinion.

4r9w86.jpg