Your Girl Lana

Gq Magazine (Interview And Photos)

Well, she is a grown-up woman. It's not a crime for her to pose on pictures like these. I know that I wouldn't do it myself but I can't tell her how she is supposed to live her life. In general I think she looks good in these pictures. Besides, it's meant for men's magazine and not for the young fans (girls) looking at them on the Internet. Blame it all on the technology. :lol:

IDK all I can say is read this http://www.missrepre...the-year-cover/ but we all have different opinions and that's ok! :)

One doesn't even have to read a single word, just taking one quick look at that set of covers suffices. Again, this is not about nudity. Nor is it about dignity, or any moralistic link between the two. For me it's not even about Lana Del Rey's choices, because a big part of what i like and appeals to me about her is that there's something fucked up about her--so many of her lyrics, even her persona itself, often leave me feeling somewhat uncomfortable and confused. There is nothing safe about her.

My contention here is how problematic and transparent this magazine's whole approach is. This is the sort of thing we see everyday everywhere. But, still, it's upsetting, frustrating, and exhausting to continually see it--in this case in such an unmistakable and blatant fashion--men's control of the media (read: everything) and heteronormative male fantasy as the cultural norm. I mean, really, four "men of the year" uniformly displayed in tuxedos and the lone "woman of the year" naked, looking coy and vulnerable? Really? Can you dig a bigger hole for yourselves, GQ? This is a text book example of patriarchy, androcentrism, the media reducing women to their sexual capital, and a bunch of other insidious, poisonous things that sadly most people either don't notice, don't care about, or dismiss altogether.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Guest Chloe

It implies that to be woman of the year you have to be nude, beautiful, open to having a man grope you in public, and really provocative. The woman of the year title is just a microcosm of society..

I know this may come as a shock to the people under the age of 12 here, but....get ready.......

Lana has......SEX!..............i know it's hard to believe, but she has a VAGINA, and can be SEXUAL...with...get ready...A MAN.

I know, how dare she display any form of graphic sexuality, but she has this thing called.......i think it's called, a sex drive, where she sometimes feels sexy taking off her clothes. I've never heard of anything like it before, i mean, most people i know are virgins who wears dresses from neck to toe, but yeah.

Guest MissDaytona

I know this may come as a shock to the people under the age of 12 here, but....get ready.......

Lana has......SEX!..............i know it's hard to believe, but she has a VAGINA, and can be SEXUAL...with...get ready...A MAN.

I know, how dare she display any form of graphic sexuality, but she has this thing called.......i think it's called, a sex drive, where she sometimes feels sexy taking off her clothes. I've never heard of anything like it before, i mean, most people i know are virgins who wears dresses from neck to toe, but yeah.

Rme that's not even the issue. Don't patronize

One doesn't even have to read a single word, just taking one quick look at that set of covers suffices. Again, this is not about nudity. Nor is it about dignity, or any moralistic link between the two. For me it's not even about Lana Del Rey's choices, because a big part of what i like and appeals to me about her is that there's something fucked up about her--so many of her lyrics, even her persona itself, often leave me feeling somewhat uncomfortable and confused. There is nothing safe about her.

My contention here is how problematic and transparent this magazine's whole approach is. This is the sort of thing we see everyday everywhere. But, still, it's upsetting, frustrating, and exhausting to continually see it--in this case in such an unmistakable and blatant fashion--men's control of the media (read: everything) and heteronormative male fantasy as the cultural norm. I mean, really, four "men of the year" uniformly displayed in tuxedos and the lone "woman of the year" naked, looking coy and vulnerable? Really? Can you dig a bigger hole for yourselves, GQ? This is a text book example of patriarchy, androcentrism, the media reducing women to their sexual capital, and a bunch of other insidious, poisonous things that sadly most people either don't notice, don't care about, or dismiss altogether.

Being pro-this shoot, this is the only point I can really get behind. That it's GQ makes it a different story. Even if they used one of the other shots for the cover--the bathing suit or mask. But from a perspective of Lana's decisions, I hate all this role-model, anti-feminist stuff I'm hearing. No little girl is like, "Grab my non-tit so I can look like Lana Del Rey!" As a principle it's a whole different argument, but I don't think that's what Lana has ever attempted to portray. Before knowing anything about her and simply listening to her album, I thought she was a kept woman whose sugar daddy bought her a record deal. And then in the unreleased material, she's suddenly a "dangerous girl", "belong to everybody the [she] walk by", "the whole world's girl", and essentially way more individualistic. I don't think this makes her essentially anti-feminist, though. It's difficult to explain. I don't think feminism has to be one thing. Maybe this wasn't a very feminist move, but it doesn't define her whole persona. Lana isn't the problem here.

Guest Chloe

Oh wow, you're so mature. That was so infantilising. If you think that's what we're uncomfortable with then you're mistaken.

Interesting debate going on. I don't buy the whole 'think of the impressionable children!' argument. Lana is not anyone's babysitter. I thought she looked great, and it's a men's magazine sold to men...obviously the portrayal of their woman of the year would be sexualized. And the shoot fit with Lana's lyrics and whole vibe imo.

Sidenote: maybe my favorite thing from the whole shoot were her nails. So old hollywood!

tumblr_maz0yvqp3S1qaio2lo1_500.gif

Guest MissDaytona

ok dnt need d TUDE i mean kids as in teenagers. It's just a thought sigh

Woah! Reading this interview and seeing this shoot & reading this thread has overwhelmed me.

Firstly I would like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this interview. I like hearing about Lana's past, especially her problems with alcohol and drugs, it sort of gives us another piece of the puzzle that is Lana Del Rey. However, I have to say that I find every single interview that Lana does very repetitive. The interviewee always talks about the same damn thing... The hair, the lips, how beautiful she is, the success of Video Games, her music pre-BTD, her American backlash and her Hollywood style. Now, really how many times have we heard all of this bullshit? No wonder Lana comes right out with funny & random comments because she must get shit-bored of the same thing over and over again. The only thing that annoys me about Lana in interviews is the fact the she never does any promotion about her upcoming singles or anything. I know she doesn't want to sound desperate, but Lana if you don't think people are going to be listening to you next year (which you are wrong about btw because we will listen to you for our lifetimes to come) then maybe you should slip in the odd link here & there, sorry it just irritates me.

And as for the photoshoot... No wonder she had to get her tits out I mean seriously that journalist would have put me to sleep if he/she was interviewing me. I think the images are very nice though, and the nude ones are fun, although the one where she touches herself bothers me, but hey if Lana wants to touch her vajayjay then you go girl!

Okay that's enough I'm turning red.

tumblr_mbs9cbxgQB1qh9kaoo1_500.gif

I like the dark undertone of the photo-shoot. I think it's fitting, she is Lana Del Rey after all. I don't think there's anything wrong with a woman wanting to show off her body. Some might think it's degrading, but I personally believe that the human body is beautiful and I love the pictures in the shoot. I think more people should embrace their bodies instead of covering them up. I'd say it's pretty obvious from this shoot that Lana is comfortable with herself, and that's awesome.

14417469274.gif