Elle

Venice Bitch

On 9/20/2023 at 10:46 PM, barttttender said:

it's a mistake. i've heard that song a million times and she doesn't say that word

also, it just wouldn't fit. why would she refer to herself as a loser?

i'm a writer, and trust me, it just doesn't work. it's beautiful times 2

late here but it's definitely losers

" la la la la la losers, beautiful losers" 

it's also definitely on brand as "Beautiful losers" is the title of a (book) written by Leonard Cohen, an artist that definitely influenced Lana as he's also the writer&singer of Chelsea Hotel #2. 

Now in my own interpretation, it's actually very fitting considering how people mostly view artists who dream about making it (hence the connection to Venice Beach, California) people with potential to do something else, but ultimately losers for giving up on capitalistic jobs and persuade arts, which sadly is still seen as being a loser for not fitting the standard societal expectation of life. 

Referring to the "I'm a writer" argument, as a writer, it saddens me to see someone would easily dismiss a way of interpreting music, because we out of everybody should be able to understand that lyrics are meant to come alive through the lenses of the ones who read or hear them.

she very clearly sings "losers", followed by her best lyrics ever which are "wha wha wha whatever, everything whatever//wha wha wha whatever, everything's whatever":makeup:

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚ if you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the fire, or you might get what you desire boy ˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

Yes! There's a ton of references to other people's work in Venice Bitch, including Beautiful Losers (Leonard Cohen book), as @manicpixxxie says. 

I personally love when I discover a new reference in Lana's work that I wasn't aware of before, as I feel it unlocks another piece of her world. 

I recommend reading Beautiful Losers for anyone who hasn't already. Like I said, it's really interesting to see how novels, other music, and iconic figures have influenced Lana's own thoughts and writing. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/102908.Beautiful_Losers

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide

43 minutes ago, Lasso said:

she very clearly sings "losers", followed by her best lyrics ever which are "wha wha wha whatever, everything whatever//wha wha wha whatever, everything's whatever":makeup:

unironically i'm getting "everything's whatever" tattooed 

Happy 6th Anniversary to this timeless masterpiece as well! Lana and Jack definitely should be proud of this! It's such an amazing song with amazing guitars, fun lyrics and 100000000000000000% perfect end-of-the-summer vibes! :flutter::dance4::sluttybunny::illumilana2::legend:

2.gif