takemybreath

Lana with fans in Dublin, IE - July 6th, 2023

Cool little momento someone sent me - on this day, she stopped into Sweny’s Pharmacy and left a note in their guestbook that reads “They said to say yes - But I did - and I don’t like how it turned out. Best of luck to those who live in the moment. Love, Elizabeth Woolridge Grant”

IMG-5785

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

6 minutes ago, Elle said:

Cool little momento someone sent me - on this day, she stopped into Sweny’s Pharmacy and left a note in their guestbook that reads “They said to say yes - But I did - and I don’t like how it turned out. Best of luck to those who live in the moment. Love, Elizabeth Woolridge Grant”

IMG-5785

she writes in art

13 minutes ago, Elle said:

IMG-5785

her signing her full name got me in my feels for some reason :oprah:

Perhaps reading too much into it, but I wonder if she adopted a personal philosophy to always say “yes” to see what would happen in life even if she felt that she she would have rather said no.

I took notice that when she met fans after her show in Wichita 2019, she literally said the word “yes” to everyone. When fans would ask “can we take a selfie” or “can you sign my vinyl” or “can I take a polaroid of you” etc, she always would respond with a smile and a simple “yes”

I remember noticing that then and thinking it was interesting how that’s how she would respond. It was very sweet. However, maybe in other things in life, she’s also always responded with “yes” even when she didn’t want to. Perhaps that reason also ties into why she decided to sign her message with her given name rather than LDR.

The message also reminds me a bit of her poem LA Who Am I to Love You - “I left my city for San Francisco and I'm writing from the Golden Gate Bridge, but it's not going as I planned. I took a free ride off a billionaire and brought my typewriter and promised myself that I would stay, but it’s just not going the way that I thought“ 

Either way, I would love another poetry book. I always love reading her thoughts about life, whether about her own or about life at large x

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

A little more context as to why she may have chosen to write that - while at Sweny’s, she viewed a James Joyce reading of Ulysses. The last line of the book features a repetition of the word “yes” and perhaps the constant saying of “yes” resonated with her, inspiring her message x

16 hours ago, Elle said:

IMG-5785

Looks like the note above it is signed A*** Del Rey

with the absolute heart of the poem of life butchered out of their own bodies good to eat a thousand years

Lana being cute and random part 99827255828183747

Hoenstly that message, I kind of liked it. It's about chances. And it's so rare to see her writing her full name. :wowcry: and her handwriting is so pretty, I always love reading her handwritten letters! Everything about it is just so sweet and beautiful. Dublin's lucky not gonna lie! :flutter:

url%5D

17 hours ago, Elle said:

IMG-5785

why does the one above look like her handwriting also 😭

7 minutes ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

For some reason I can longer like anything, but I wonder if she wrote a note and signed as Lana Del Rey above, then wrote another as Elizabeth Grant?

with the absolute heart of the poem of life butchered out of their own bodies good to eat a thousand years

15 minutes ago, Traveler said:

For some reason I can longer like anything, but I wonder if she wrote a note and signed as Lana Del Rey above, then wrote another as Elizabeth Grant?

the one above is from June though there's a date on it - was Lana also in Dublin in June ? 

4 minutes ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

the one above is from June though there's a date on it - was Lana also in Dublin in June ? 

Date is 7/9/2023... The date to the right of that looks to be someone else handwriting and possibly dated it as Day then Month then year

5 hours ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

5 hours ago, Traveler said:

The note above hers is from a fan named Abdi who signed it as Abdi Del Rey a month after Lana signed her note. His IG is abdaddy x

On 11/6/2023 at 3:39 PM, Elle said:

Perhaps reading too much into it, but I wonder if she adopted a personal philosophy to always say “yes” to see what would happen in life even if she felt that she she would have rather said no.

I took notice that when she met fans after her show in Wichita 2019, she literally said the word “yes” to everyone. When fans would ask “can we take a selfie” or “can you sign my vinyl” or “can I take a polaroid of you” etc, she always would respond with a smile and a simple “yes”

I remember noticing that then and thinking it was interesting how that’s how she would respond. It was very sweet. However, maybe in other things in life, she’s also always responded with “yes” even when she didn’t want to. Perhaps that reason also ties into why she decided to sign her message with her given name rather than LDR.

The message also reminds me a bit of her poem LA Who Am I to Love You - “I left my city for San Francisco and I'm writing from the Golden Gate Bridge, but it's not going as I planned. I took a free ride off a billionaire and brought my typewriter and promised myself that I would stay, but it’s just not going the way that I thought“ 

Either way, I would love another poetry book. I always love reading her thoughts about life, whether about her own or about life at large x

I've actually had a very similar thought before regarding Lana saying yes/accepting whatever comes her way/doing what other people want. It often seems like she will literally do almost anything a fan asks (some things that come to mind: the video where she calls the fan poor when asked, when she gets picked up and spun in a circle, any time she hits a fan's vape upon request, singing Snow on the Beach with that fan in the airport, etc). And then this note definitely adds more possible depth to that theory. 

Of course it is all conjecture, but I could totally see young philosophy degree Lana coming up with that or something similar as a way to live. It would explain how she ended up in some very interesting scenarios that don't always seem to make sense when you look at the timeline of her early life and could fill in some of what happened during that mid-2000s nebulous period. I will note that it also reminds me of "Yes Man", a movie that came out in 2008 but was also a book that came out in 2005. It's a long shot, but possible she could've read that? I would absolutely love to know more. But for now, theorizing is fun. On a darker note, it could be more of a people pleasing tendency or inability to stick up for herself, so I don't mean to make light of it if it's that, but I think there's something to what Elle said.