ttulsa

book recommendation

couldn't find a forum for book recommendations :( i promise i looked everywhere 😭

for the longest time, I've been wanting to read one of those dreamy novellas where you just live inside the character's head while they are reflecting on the past, in the form of stories, with beautiful settings and words. 

There's a lot of children's picture books that bring this same feeling of nostalgia ig (like you can feel the character's nostalgia you know what i mean?? not making sense), one of my favorite books in my childhood was the evolution of calpurnia tate(I have reread that book even when I've gotten older than the recommended age 😂) but I can't find any books that are for older audiences that replicate this feeling.

Recommendations? I like reading historical fiction. Only condition is that it has to make me cry, which honestly isn't that hard to do lol

19 minutes ago, ttulsa said:

couldn't find a forum for book recommendations :( i promise i looked everywhere 😭

for the longest time, I've been wanting to read one of those dreamy novellas where you just live inside the character's head while they are reflecting on the past, in the form of stories, with beautiful settings and words. 

There's a lot of children's picture books that bring this same feeling of nostalgia ig (like you can feel the character's nostalgia you know what i mean?? not making sense), one of my favorite books in my childhood was the evolution of calpurnia tate(I have reread that book even when I've gotten older than the recommended age 😂) but I can't find any books that are for older audiences that replicate this feeling.

Recommendations? I like reading historical fiction. Only condition is that it has to make me cry, which honestly isn't that hard to do lol

‘bonjour tristesse’ by francoise sagan !! it’s dreamy, short, written beautifully, and has a bittersweet ending; it’s a french classic published in 1954 so there’s that historical aspect. 

‘tom lake’ by ann patchett isn’t that short but i think you might like it, it’s about a woman who tells her daughters the stories of her past as an actress in the 80s and the romances she’s had with male celebs. the way i described it sounds like it’s glamorous but actually this is a relaxing book with beautiful descriptions, and the present day setting is on a cherry orchard so perfect for spring. 

‘lie with me’ by philippe besson is also nostalgic, set in the 80s, and will prob make you cry lol. 

‘the garden party’ by katherine mansfield is an excellent dreamy short story written in the 19th century.

i think ‘atonement’ fits your description, except it’s a longer book at ~350 pages. 

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

46 minutes ago, cherrytropico said:

‘tom lake’ by ann patchett isn’t that short but i think you might like it, it’s about a woman who tells her daughters the stories of her past as an actress in the 80s and the romances she’s had with male celebs. the way i described it sounds like it’s glamorous but actually this is a relaxing book with beautiful descriptions, and the present day setting is on a cherry orchard so perfect for spring. 

wait i actually saw this book at costco but it was too expensive, so I thought I could find it in the library. I completely forgot about it until now lol. Will definitely check these ones out ❤️

Currently reading (well, starting it today):

florida.jpg

Florence said it was the inspo for her verse in Florida!!! and if Florence Welch says "read the book", then who am I to argue

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

On 4/24/2024 at 4:32 PM, ttulsa said:

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue <3

Lately all I want to read is cosmic horror, psychological thriller kinds of books like The Southern Reach trilogy (the books that inspired the Annihilation movie) and I have a whole list more, like the Three Body Problem books but I am procrastinating too hard to read.

I also really want to read Picnic at Hanging Rock, which is an Australian historical fiction and kinda leaning into psychological thriller and mystery too. Also something that the TV series got me interested in.