LDRO

"Young & Beautiful" - Lead single from The Great Gatsby Soundtrack, OUT NOW!

florence's song sounds pretty much exactly like every other florence song i have ever heard

Yes. Despite my verdict on Young And Beautiful, I still like it more than Over the Love. Probably because Lana at her worst still touches me more than Florence at her best :)

I absolutely love Young & Beautiful. Is it perfect, not at all. But remember it is a track written for a particular story and if you have read Great Gatsby, you will see how the lyrics fit Daisy's struggles with the two men in her life, Jay and Tom. Musically the song clearly hews to the same general style as BTD and Paradise, but I see no problem with that. I agree that the production could have been better, could have been recorded in a better studio, but listening to the song, and the gorgeous melody, reminded me why I fell in love with Lana in the first place!

This post is delusional and everyone who liked it is delusional. 

You have obviously not heard more than very few Florence songs then.

Here are five Florence songs that sound nothing like each other. :)

i've heard like ten other florence songs and they all sound very similar. no artist should have that many similar-sounding songs even if they have five songs that don't sound like each other imo

she has a good voice but she mostly uses it the same way. she seems to be doing well though so good for her, i'm just not a fan.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

i've heard like ten other florence songs and they all sound very similar. no artist should have that many similar-sounding songs even if they have five songs that don't sound like each other imo

she has a good voice but she mostly uses it the same way. she seems to be doing well though so good for her, i'm just not a fan.

:noparty:

Idk, I think the same can be said about Lana. Though I say this still disagreeing with you - I just think they both use very similar aesthetics in the way they make their music. Florence is known for her huge choruses and grand voice where Lana is known for the "sadcore" sound and similar lyrics throughout her discography (for the most part). They both fall into their own stereotypes and can both have songs that are/seem similar because of the aesthetics that go into their music. 

14417469274.gif

Florence is fabulous tbh any shade towards her shall feel the wrath of my fists  :crossed:

The orchestral version of Y&B didn't make me an emotional as the studio (or whatever) version, though it's still beautiful :)

tumblr_moza5y59Ri1r09ldbo1_400.png ~ataraxia~

:noparty:

Idk, I think the same can be said about Lana. Though I say this still disagreeing with you - I just think they both use very similar aesthetics in the way they make their music. Florence is known for her huge choruses and grand voice where Lana is known for the "sadcore" sound and similar lyrics throughout her discography (for the most part). They both fall into their own stereotypes and can both have songs that are/seem similar because of the aesthetics that go into their music. 

Big fan of Florence's first album but man she is way more boxed into her sound than Lana is. Might just be the super wide breadth of sounds in all of Lana's discography that's making me say this but I think she has more examples of innovation.

Why are we comparing in the first place? :cryney: Why must artist always be pitted against each other? :cryney: I hate the internet guys :cryney: Lemme get back on topic :cryney:

The orchestral bridge is what pushes it slightly ahead of the original version for me :flutter:

Florence is fabulous tbh any shade towards her shall feel the wrath of my fists  :crossed:

pull my hair, push me down, knock me flat on the ground, push me down  :hawt:

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

Big fan of Florence's first album but man she is way more boxed into her sound than Lana is. Might just be the super wide breadth of sounds in all of Lana's discography that's making me say this but I think she has more examples of innovation.

Yeah, I'm talking just stuff that's been released as I'm not familiar with Florence's unreleased stuff yet. It wouldn't be fair on either side to throw unreleased tracks into the argument/discussion anyway because that's not always the style/sound an artist is going for. Definitely Lungs > Ceremonials though. 

14417469274.gif

It's pretty true that florence sticks to her own sound but that's why most of us love her. Florence's earlier stuff with a little different but it's still hard to compare them. If florence had a orchestral softer song we might be able to compare them but the closest thing she has is "never let me go" which ironically lana has a song under the same name.

What bothers my about Florence's song is that it could be awesome but on her belting high notes she's just a tad out of tune, always sharp or flat, and that drives me INSANE. can't deal. maybe I just have oversensitive ears but it kills the song for me  :noparty:

tumblr_mg7j6rudk51qmosg3o1_500.gif

Yeah, I'm talking just stuff that's been released as I'm not familiar with Florence's unreleased stuff yet. It wouldn't be fair on either side to throw unreleased tracks into the argument/discussion anyway because that's not always the style/sound an artist is going for. Definitely Lungs > Ceremonials though. 

Her unreleased sounds the same, too :hooker:

I'd argue Lana's released efforts are more interesting. Not to say every song on either of Lana's albums are better than anything on Florence's. Perhaps "Over the Love" is better than "Young & Beautiful". (I'd put "Blinding" ahead of a lot of Born to Die because every now and then she just is that good.) But lola's comment and your follow-up pushed us into the dangerous territory of comparing them in their entirety, something I'm not really in the business of. However, I do think Flo is suffering a tad from overexposure. I know what to expect from her nowadays, especially on a soundtrack contribution (f'real, look at her soundtrack songs, there's a pretty obv formula people go to her for). Lana still manages to throw me off with stuff like Summer Wine and Cola.

Not sure if I'm making a point or just discussing. I'm dizzy.

The trailer ruined Over the Love for me, it's just so literal, "and I sang by the piano" and there's a clip of a piano and then she sings "I can see the green light" and there's green light and yes I can see the green light too and I just wanna kick the person that did that  :crossed:

I feel like Florence always uses the same type of vocals, the softness heard in the beginning, then the big screaming voice and then her almost aggressive voice complete with teeth-inhalation, like she's trying her best to convey emotion but it just comes out bland Leona Lewis style (although Leona doesn't even try).

Y&B is sort of boring. The lyrics are lazy, the only part that got me excited was "...and when I get to heaven..." but then she follows that up with the "...all that grace..." part which had me cringing

It's strange, because the chorus seems to fit with the film but the verses sound more personal to Lana and make obvious references to Jimmy Gnecco, and they really don't fit together. It's like she had two different songs and then thought they'd be good together but it really doesn't work. It's like in the verses she's trying to create an ending "I've seen the world... had my cake" but then the chorus is a question, and even though she answers it herself, she asks the question again, leaving the song open and doubtful when she otherwise sound determined.

Also, the vocals have me grinding my teeth. On one side she sounds more emotional than she usually does which is nice, but they've done something to her voice, whatever it is it makes the song sound cheap and it's really off-putting.

Overall I'm disappointed.

And Beyoncé's cover of Back to Black sounds terrible.

:hoe:

Her unreleased sounds the same, too :hooker:

I'd argue Lana's released efforts are more interesting. Not to say every song on either of Lana's albums are better than anything on Florence's. Perhaps "Over the Love" is better than "Young & Beautiful". (I'd put "Blinding" ahead of a lot of Born to Die because every now and then she just is that good.) But lola's comment and your follow-up pushed us into the dangerous territory of comparing them in their entirety, something I'm not really in the business of. However, I do think Flo is suffering a tad from overexposure. I know what to expect from her nowadays, especially on a soundtrack contribution (f'real, look at her soundtrack songs, there's a pretty obv formula people go to her for). Lana still manages to throw me off with stuff like Summer Wine and Cola.

Not sure if I'm making a point or just discussing. I'm dizzy.

I think it would be easier to compare them the way we were trying once Lana has her next album out. 

14417469274.gif