LDRO

"Young & Beautiful" - Lead single from The Great Gatsby Soundtrack, OUT NOW!

:icant:  I was going to wait until tomorrow (ive waited like 5hrs already!) but I caved and gave Y&B a listen right now.

Love the build-up to this part:

"I’ve seen the world, lit it up,
As my stage, now.   <--- (immediately pictured the setting in the Ride mv, right after the monologue, where she's 
Channeling angels in,                     on stage in her red dress)              
The new age, now.                         

Hot summer days, rock and roll,
The way you’d play for me at your show.
And all the ways I got to know,
Your pretty face and electric soul."

I realize this song is for The Great Gatsby, as it does fit with the tragic love interest and grand lifestyle surrouding Gatsby & Daisy, but looking at this song by itself , it doesn't excite me lyrically. the production though >>>>>
Plenty of us have noticed how she recycles certain ideas or lyrics in the majority of her songs. What part of all this repetition is because of meaningful intention and what part is just lazy songwriting??  
her word choice is the same in everythinggg, im >> b o r e d
Paradise Edition & Young and Beautiful are tired out ideas from Born to Die. I feel like she's just churning out sloppy songs while the hype is still alive.
....I'm hoping her upcoming "spiritual" album is a breath of fresh air and she ventures onto other topics or at least expresses her ideas in a NEW way. 1 of the main reasons that I was drawn to Lana  in the 1st place was bc she was so different, now she's literally beating to death the same themes in all of her recent songs. -__-

It's never 2 late 2 be the things that u might've been* i'll sing till u fall asleep- u try and remember when*the future looked lush and sweet

tumblr_lt6hiogx5J1r14o02o1_500.gif

Liking for the Joel gif :flutter:

I like it a lot! The backing track is so good and the orchestral version sounds like I might use it even more. It's got that grand, cinematic sound without any Haynie quirks, like a lot of what made Paradise great.

I THINK I'M GOING TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN THE VID COMES OUT LIKE SRSLY AND ON TOP OF THAT I HEARD THE ORCHESTRAL VERSION AND ITS BEAUTIFUL ANYONE WHO DENIES THE FLAWLESSNESS OF THIS SONG IS IRRELEVANT AND IN DENIAL. PERIOD.

god knows I tried

Was the song written specifically for the film? If not, couldn't that could ruin her chances of winning an Oscar?

I strongly suspect the song originally may not have been written for the film and was adapted later for use in the film. I'm not an expert on these things, but I don't think that would matter for Oscar eligibility since it's initial release has been as part of the soundtrack.

Also, I'm making a prediction that the "DH Orchestral Version" will play during the film's closing credits.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I realize this song is for The Great Gatsby, as it does fit with the tragic love interest and grand lifestyle surrouding Gatsby & Daisy, but looking at this song by itself , it doesn't excite me lyrically. the production though >>>>>

Plenty of us have noticed how she recycles certain ideas or lyrics in the majority of her songs. What part of all this repetition is because of meaningful intention and what part is just lazy songwriting??  

her word choice is the same in everythinggg, im >> b o r e d

Paradise Edition & Young and Beautiful are tired out ideas from Born to Die. I feel like she's just churning out sloppy songs while the hype is still alive.

....I'm hoping her upcoming "spiritual" album is a breath of fresh air and she ventures onto other topics or at least expresses her ideas in a NEW way. 1 of the main reasons that I was drawn to Lana  in the 1st place was bc she was so different, now she's literally beating to death the same themes in all of her recent songs. -__-

Yeah, that's mostly how i feel. These lyrics sound like self-parody, and this isn’t, by any stretch, the first time that happens. It’s staggering how much her lyrical abilities have steadily declined over her career, even just since BTD. I really don’t know what happened to the creative lyricist in her  :(

I don’t think Y&B is necessarily a bad song, it just doesn’t do much for me, i really don't feel it. I guess my favorite aspect of the song is the arrangement (i do love the tube bells!) The bridge (lyrics aside) is better than the entire rest of the song. Some people have aptly noted that this song sounds like a kind of hybrid of a few different songs of hers, but the thing is, she already did those songs much better. Not only does this feel like a retread, but also like a leftover, an outtake. But my biggest issue with it, which i had prior to even hearing the whole song, is that it’s constructed around a clunky melody that i find neither interesting, memorable, engaging, or unusual. That the trite question in the lyrics is set to this melody just further brings it down. 

I don’t want to say too much about the production because it’s a low quality file (160 kbps and you can really hear a lot of compression) but it seems like a rather plastic and cold production. Yet not plastic and cold enough to be intentional. I feel like this is obviously supposed to be an emotional song, but it sounds more like going through the motions. Her vocals are more and more often taking on this sedated, drone-y quality that, i hate to say, i’m starting to find tiring. And i’ll keep saying this: i hate the cheap sounding digital reverb they always use on her vocals, i think it does a disservice to her voice. Someone please fucking run this woman’s vocals through a real echo chamber, i promise that everyone’s minds and hearts will melt.

I think the orchestral version sounds much better and i'm interested in hearing that. But again, the lackluster melody and poor lyrics i feel are always going to get in the way of this being a good song. I’m very surprised to hear this being called one of her best songs. That’s a pretty lofty statement considering how much great material she has. I don’t know, i can’t help wonder if that’s just new release excitement talking. Maybe this one will be a grower? 

Lord, i really did not set out to write this much about this song--i've barely even felt anything listening to it. 

To make up for my long-winded dribble, let me leave you with a picture of some cute lambs wearing clothing:

zuri_and_elizabeth_dsc_5407_credit_farm_

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Also, I'm making a prediction that the "DH Orchestral Version" will play during the film's closing credits.

to counteract Monicker's huge-ass post above me, i have a three-letter response for you

duh

14417469274.gif

I'm a bit disappointed with the lyrics :icant:

Had my cake now? asfkals;f 

Still lovely though, but I still love Over The Love more for some reason :defeated:

The Girl You Used To Call The Queen of New York City

i like the cake part. i don't think she means like, vanilla buttercream tho

as in most of her recent songs, some lyrics are good, some are like borderline retarded. but i like how super dramatic it all sounds. gives me swooping tummy feels

ZRBNill.jpg

Yeah, that's mostly how i feel. These lyrics sound like self-parody, and this isn’t, by any stretch, the first time that happens. It’s staggering how much her lyrical abilities have steadily declined over her career, even just since BTD. I really don’t know what happened to the creative lyricist in her  :(

I have noticed this repetitive lyrical drought, too, but I don't think it's due to a sudden lack of creativity. I see her early material as the result of many years in which ideas evolved and thrived that later found their output on AKA. Same thing can be said about Born to Die: there are dozens of expressions and phrases found on Born to Die that originate from post-AKA unreleased songs. An important factor in the creation and development of both, AKA and Born to Die, is time, I think. Back then, when she wrote both albums there was little pressure and she had enough time to think and experiment. With the re-release of Born to Die last November, which I think was terribly rushed, it almost feels like they took unfinished new material which eventually became Paradise. She uses the same words all over again on Paradise which, admittedly, has its charm in terms of 'her lyrical architecture' but at the same time it testifies a certain rashness. Universal clearly wanted to boost the success of Born to Die and Paradise became the incomplete manifestation of it. Which is very sad as I think of her as a talented writer in the first place, someone who appreciates words on another level than other people. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that it takes time and independency for her to fully develop her ideas and mold them into songs. She didn't have this time with Paradise and I think it shows with most songs on that album.  

That being said, I don't quite see how this lyrical drought continues with "Young and Beautiful." When I heard it yesterday, it did by far sound not as monotonous and similar like all the other Paradise tracks. At this point, I'd like a confirmation on wether the song has been written for the film, or if it's indeed a left-over from Paradise. In case of the latter, I can see why it got omitted on the album as it is pretty much in "spiritual" vein of her upcoming album. Spiritual not because of the mentioning of God and heaven, but I think there is a more subtle and profound side to the song.