Sitar

Lorde

@@SitarHero My idea of the meaning behind Buzzcut Season is kind of that she (or society ?) wants to block out the real world and not have to face it and it's struggles. Like the opening lines reflect to me the idea of just making up an excuse for something in life to move past it or make it seem okay. Like "oh who cares that your hair is gone, it's Buzzcut season anyway". And then the part about riding the bus with her knees pulled in and closing her eyes and listening to music totally fits this too. Like ignore the serious stuff in life, block out reality, "live in a hologram" so to speak. Idk, am I reaching here?

H0bDaqU.gif

You don't just reword a SitarHero Original.

Okay let me have a non-jokey crack at this:

1. Tennis Court - I don't know if it's the same in other countries, but disenchanted youth seems pretty similar in New Zealand and very small-town America. Here, the tennis court is that hangout place. Ours was across the street from the high school so people would go there to smoke weed at lunch and stuff. Now I can't say the same for Lorde, but it doesn't seem like she's talking about the sport. It's kind of budding fame from a teen's perspective, witnessing her world become so much larger than her boring town and hanging out at the tennis court (I'll see the veins of my city like they do in space.)

2. 400 Lux - This song is very nighttime, it seems like she's being rebellious and sneaking out at night to meet with her crush. You know as a sneaky teen on a school night, all you can really do is drive around and talk. You can kind of imagine her driving through those weird developing suburbs "where the houses don't change" and stopping for orange juice. Teen love.

3. Royals - I mean she's explained this one plenty of times--teens attach themselves to images of luxury in their music but are incapable of living it.

4. Ribs - Other than the obvious lines "it feels so scary, getting old", this kind of captures that anxiety of growing up--but a teen growing slightly older, where you're feeling less like an infinite Peter Pan, as opposed to actually growing older. It kind of culminates in her almost begging for her innocence back--"it's not enough to feel the lack" and try to recapture it because she already has this pseudo-adult awareness. In the end, she finds child-like comfort in a really good friend or romance--"sharing beds like little kids." It doesn't necessarily have the sexual connotation, you see, if she were talking about a boyfriend.

5. Buzzcut Season - This one's a little more abstract? But it seems to be some kind of comment on the media and, similar to "Ribs", a personal realization. I'd actually be interested in a discussion on these lyrics because I have a lot of disparate thoughts.

6. Team - An anthem to small-town teen life, invoking grand imagery like "Royals"--the same message tbh.

7. Glory and Gore - Part of me thinks this is a pretty exaggerated statement on, like, partying with her friends. Another part is very confused. I can't imagine her getting in a lot of fights but you can imagine everyone being drunk and thinking they're a badass. Gossip maybe? Or maybe I'm selling her short in thinking all of these songs are about ~teen life~

8. Still Sane - Kind of a promise to stay normal despite this huge fame affecting her life and friendships. At the same time, it expresses an excitement over all this acclaim. I'm little but I'm coming for the title held by everyone who's up.

9. White Teeth Teens - Reflection on an attempt to join some sort of clique but ultimately feeling out of place.

10. A World Alone - Now take everything I just said and put it one song. Recognition of newfound fame as seen in "Tennis Court" and "Still Sane"; the innocent, car-centric love story of "400 Lux"; the uniquely teen perspective of "Royals", "Glory and Gore", and "Team"; both triumphant loneliness and friendship as seen in "Ribs"; what appears to be a comment on media imo in "Buzzcut Season"; and "all my fake friends" recalls "White Teeth Teens". This being another reason why I harshly sideeye AWA haters.

omg I love you and this :flutter:

I can actually relate to Tennis Court's boring neighborhood feeling

here it isn't really the tennis court but like there is those small parks all around school where people smoke weed and hangout

qqAZ3mU.png

Okay guys, it's time again. We now that we've had some time to let Pure Heroine sink in, we need to rank all 15 (official) songs!

Here's mine:

1. Buzzcut Season

2. Tennis Court

3. 400 Lux

4. Ribs

5. The Love Club

6. Royals

7. Team

8. White Teeth Teens

9. Bravado

10. Swingin' Party

11. Glory and Gore

12. A World Alone

13. Million Dollar Bills

14. Still Sane

15. Biting Down

H0bDaqU.gif

1-9 was really hard to decide  :ohno:

1. A World Alone
2. Ribs
3. Glory And Gore
4. Buzzcut Season
5. Tennis Court
6. Team
7. 400 Lux
8. White Teeth Teens
9. Still Sane
10. The Love Club
11. Biting Down
12. Royals
13. Bravado
14. Swingin' Party
15. Million Dollar Bills

1. 400 Lux

2. Buzzcut Season

3. White Teeth Teens

4. Ribs

5. Bravado

6. Glory and Gore

7. Team

8. The Love Club

9. Tennis Court

10. A World Alone

11. Biting Down

12. Royals

13. Still Sane

14. Swingin' Party

15. Million Dollar Bills

That was hard :cryney:

Okay I actually recently made this list and sent it to Bill but I forgot it so forgive me if there are changes @@Hundred Dollar Bill

1. Buzzcut Season

2. Bravado

3. Glory and Gore

4. Ribs

5. A World Alone

6. The Love Club

7. Tennis Court

8. 400 Lux

9. Swingin' Party

10. White Teeth Teens

11. Team

12. Still Sane

13. Royals

14. Biting Down

15. Million Dollar Bills

No, the two acoustic covers and this feature have been around for the longest time but people are only paying attention to them now. And it's infuriating because people keep mixing shit up. This is called "Piece of Mind" and the band is And They Were Masked. Like if the people posting these would even listen to the lyrics... :wtfney:

right, here goes.

i really, really love her now. i wasn't so sure at first admittedly, because i only heard royals and when she said stuff about lana i was not amused. but then shortly after pure heroine was released i decided to give her another try. the whole album is great, i love listening to the whole thing (something i NEVER do with albums). there's not one track i dislike, and i love her song writing and the quite stripped down production.

so anyway, i stalked her loads, followed her on tumblr, watched some interviews, found out some weird facts - and i also really like her as a person. i applaud her for sharing her opinions, even though they're not always popular. and i've also gotta say that she seems really down to earth, like her tumblr is just fabby and 'the world according to lorde' on youtube is so funny. 

don't kill me for saying this, but her voice reminds me a tiny bit of ellie goulding (especially on 'ribs' and 'a world alone'), which i really like! 

my favourites on pure heroine are 400 lux, buzzcut season (the way she says hyper-real!!!!), team and a world alone, but i love every single song! 

i love the way she is rather self deprecating too, she's very funny and i know she'll have good success. now i can't wait till she gets her booty over to the uk on a tour, i've heard her voice live, i love it. 

*most importantly, we have the same fave grimes song, both our mums are poets and we both love some oj 

4r9w86.jpg

1. 400 Lux

2. Ribs

3. Glory & Gore

4. Buzzcut Season

5. Million Dollar Bills

6. Team

7. White Teeth Teens

8. Bravado

9. Tennis Court

10. A World Alone

11. The Love Club

12. Swingin' Party

13. Royals 

14. Still Sane (I love it now, but it's like the 'second least-best' you could say... but I don't hate it anymore.)

15. Biting Down 

I dunno. I'm definite on my most favourites and least favourites i.e. like 1-6ish and 13-15, but the rest is a toss up. Overall, I don't really HATE any songs.

right, here goes.

i really, really love her now. i wasn't so sure at first admittedly, because i only heard royals and when she said stuff about lana i was not amused. but then shortly after pure heroine was released i decided to give her another try. the whole album is great, i love listening to the whole thing (something i NEVER do with albums). there's not one track i dislike, and i love her song writing and the quite stripped down production.

so anyway, i stalked her loads, followed her on tumblr, watched some interviews, found out some weird facts - and i also really like her as a person. i applaud her for sharing her opinions, even though they're not always popular. and i've also gotta say that she seems really down to earth, like her tumblr is just fabby and 'the world according to lorde' on youtube is so funny.

don't kill me for saying this, but her voice reminds me a tiny bit of ellie goulding (especially on 'ribs' and 'a world alone'), which i really like!

my favourites on pure heroine are 400 lux, buzzcut season (the way she says hyper-real!!!!), team and a world alone, but i love every single song!

i love the way she is rather self deprecating too, she's very funny and i know she'll have good success. now i can't wait till she gets her booty over to the uk on a tour, i've heard her voice live, i love it.

*most importantly, we have the same fave grimes song, both our mums are poets and we both love some oj

Love this :gclap:

What is her favorite Grimes song btw? Where did you get that??

H0bDaqU.gif

Love this :gclap:

What is her favorite Grimes song btw? Where did you get that??

Very early in her Tumblr she posted that it's "Skin" :legend:

@ welcome to full-time fangirling :flutter: