Sign in to follow this  
CokoKilos

Lana and Cover songs/remixes

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and havent really spoke about it to anyone
cause I dont know many people who actually genuinely Love and understand Lana along with her writing,

What are your thoughts on Lana Covers/remixes (by Djs, Cover Artist on YouTube)

I love Covers don't get me wrong, I love how people can take a song and make it their own
instead of trying to sound like the artist but for some reason I'm very sensitive about hearing
covers of Lana's songs. I can name a few artist on YouTube who make me cringe when they cover
a Lana song. This goes for Remixes as well.

Share your thoughts :)
(Hopefully I'm not the only one lol)

Live Forever Golden Grill.

basically i like covers and dont like remixes

BVT4uKe.jpg   
8/1/13 . 8/2/13 . 5/16/14 . 10/4/14 . 10/11/14 . 5/30/15 . 7/28/16 . 5/20/17 . 1/11/18 . 2/11/18

I love both remixes and covers. The problem is quality it's hard to find decent ones even more hard to find great ones. Rarely a cover is better than the original and rarely a artist does a great personal version of a well known song.  I think remixes are great too. The only way to hear any BTD song in a bar, party or club is with a good remix. If it's good I will sing and dance to it

glgcDdT.gif

I never heard a good lana remix so far, I'm sure if i was at a party/club and i heard a snipp of a song i'd sing a bit but wouldnt get into it, I find some remixes can turn a good song into shit like if someone took the original mona lisa and made it 2.0 with graffiti or something. This goes with people who do covers, the covers i've come across were artist who actually Try to hit the notes/pitches.

(semi off topic)
another thing that gets to me about people doing covers/remixes is when people cover a new single RIGHT
when it comes out so the next day it's on their YouTube page to get hits, I've seen a couple of youtube artist
do this right after Lana released a song.

I don't really like covers in general ( only when it is by an artist I like) and remixes do not bother me, they are even good some times.

I never heard a good lana remix so far

You haven't heard the Azealia one then :usrs:

EotAQlJ.jpg

I don't really like covers in general ( only when it is by an artist I like) and remixes do not bother me, they are even good some times.

You haven't heard the Azealia one then :usrs:

I heard that one lol, didnt tickle my pickle

Certain Covers/Remixes are like when your jeans get wet from jumping in a pool, just rubs you wrong, lol.

I gave up listening to remixes/covers I only listen for two seconds and shut it off. :smokes3:

(Still interested in hearing other peoples views/opinions)

99.99999% of remixes are useless to me and I have covers. I feel the exact same way you do about Lana with Judy Garland. Everytime I hear someone sing Over The Rainbow I want to knock them out. 

9a32008aa9568555201e3b88bceeef59.jpg

I don't mind covers if they are done well (which is, like, 5% of cases, tbh), but most of them just end up being a showcase of a dude's/dudette's pipes and that just makes Lana's songs sound really generic (this may be just my bias against oversinging speaking). Or worse, they might actually try and fail to sound like Lana. Lana's songs are just really hard to cover successfully.

I don't mind remixes as long as they stay in night clubs and beach parties, where they belong, but radio release of SS remix really annoys me. It's a really bad marketing move, imo, since many GP people who liked Y&B may now throw accusations of selling out (again) or radio play thirst, or whatever and most GP people who like the remix will just not be interested in her actual music, so it's a no-win situation. Doesn't help that they chose the most basic remix they could find. They could have just used that German radio mix, since it's awesome, more radio friendly, actually has a character and isn't a big leap from Lana's actual sound. Or, you know, the album version, but I guess that's too much to ask.

I love both covers and remixes. When you find a good remix, it's like a new song and it's amazing, same goes with covers. There are a couple of people on youtube who I am subscribed to because they make good ones. For example since Lana is a girl, I love to have a male version of many of her songs too because they just different but awesome at the same time.

This cover of American for example, I listened to it hundreds of times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc6VGSuq2Ag

I feel the exact same way you do about Lana with Judy Garland. Everytime I hear someone sing Over The Rainbow I want to knock them out. 

The weird thing about it is, if its any other artist i dont mind covers/remixes but for some reason with Lana..I'm highly sensitive

I know what you mean by feeling 'sensitive'. I very rarely find a cover of a Lana song that I actually like, I struggle to warm to the actual singer because for some reason I always get this impression that they try too hard and they really can't compare to Lana, it's like I don't even give them a chance in the first place. 

With remixes, I like some by other artists but with Lana, there's not many I like. I've become a lot more open to remixes but I don't even bother listening to them in the first place usually, only the album from the box set which are okay but I only really listen to them to get something fresh from the original. 

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif