TrailerParkDarling

Lana, Lorde, & Feminism

1374479492911.cached.jpg

Interviewer: As a young woman, have you felt it necessary to call attention to the control you’ve taken over things? Or to remind people that you’re both a writer and singer? 

Lorde: Absolutely. I think a lot of women in this industry maybe aren’t doing so well for the girls. I’ve read interviews where certain big female stars are like, “I’m not a feminist.” I’m like, That’s not what it’s about. She’s great, but I listened to that Lana Del Rey record and the whole time I was just thinking it’s so unhealthy for young girls to be listening to, you know: “I’m nothing without you.” This sort of shirt-tugging, desperate, don’t leave me stuff. That’s not a good thing for young girls, even young people, to hear. I don’t really have any girls songs [for the new record]. I should have. But I think the way in which I assert myself as not being about that stuff is by writing about it in a way that’s a bit less obvious and less cloying. There are a couple songs on the record about relationship-y stuff, but I make sure to write about it in a way that you don’t know if it’s a friend or a relationship, because that’s something that’s personal to me.

Read more: http://www.thefader.com/2013/08/08/interview-lorde/#ixzz2bsuF927t

LanaDelRey.jpg

Kiwi pop sensation Lorde is set to conquer the international market with a fail-proof move: take a swipe at other famous artists like Taylor Swift and Lana del Rey. The relatable 16-year-old songstress said she stays away from writing songs about “unattainable opulence” and ex-boyfriends.

“What really got me is this ridiculous, unrelatable, unattainable opulence that runs throughout. Lana Del Rey is always singing about being in the Hamptons or driving her Bugatti Veyron or whatever, and at the time, me and my friends were at some house party worrying how to get home because we couldn’t afford a cab.

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

Article by Liz Phair on Lana from early 2012 

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/02/04/liz-phair-on-why-lana-del-rey-scares-rocks-boys-club/

" I would argue that the uncomfortable feelings she elicits are simply the by-product of watching a woman wanting and taking like a man."

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

“Lana Del Rey is always singing about being in the Hamptons or driving her Bugatti Veyron or whatever"

:emma:

I'd rather say Chateau Marmont and a Cadillac/Chevrolet :troll:

EQFO7rX.png

@@Foolish - trends in clothing are influenced by many things and believe it or not, straight men aren't exactly important (except when it comes to their own clothing of course  :creep: ). A skirt of any length can be sexy on the right person, if I find a short skirt sexy on myself it's cause I like the way my legs look when wearing it for example. It seriously doesn't relate to men, that's why women hate to be cat-called and harassed when walking down the street and men who think that's a compliment are very deluded.

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

@@Foolish - trends in clothing are influenced by many things and believe it or not, straight men aren't exactly important (except when it comes to their own clothing of course  :creep: ). A skirt of any length can be sexy on the right person, if I find a short skirt sexy on myself it's cause I like the way my legs look when wearing it for example. It seriously doesn't relate to men, that's why women hate to be cat-called and harassed when walking down the street and men who think that's a compliment are very deluded.

I didnt mean fashion trends which change every year, but general trend of femal clothes. Its undeniable that we try to cheer up the things that differentiate us from the other sex. Im not talking about departures now, its just whole generalizing and I dont think its necessarily bad to do. Many social anthropologists try to put our behaviour to some formula how it has been influenced by culture (but also  genetical evolution - biological anthropology)

i don't think much of lorde, not because of her age (i'm 15 as most of you know), but because her music just doesn't appeal to me in general. i think what she's forgetting is that, sometimes women like to play a submissive role sometimes, and there really is no harm in that, as long as she is consenting. lana is not here to be a role model, she wants to create art, not influence 13 year old girls. i think lorde is just trying to be somewhat controversial, but it's silly. i'm a feminist but i see nothing wrong with lana wanting to be dominated in a relationship, that's her thing, and it's not for anyone else (let alone some tumblr teenager) to say that lana is unhealthy for young girls.

sorry to waffle on, but it's annoying, lana has never tried to be a role model, she's not said anything of the sort, so what is lorde even on about? 

absolutely! i wear short skirts because i feel comfortable in them. they're not an invitation for men to wolf whistle at me or to rape me. 

4r9w86.jpg

i guess her comments are true to an extent. risky to say tho, like 80% of her fanbase base are ldr stans.  

some of lana's messages in BTD can be harmful to young, impressionable teens. emphasis on impressionable. if lorde did grow up poor i can see how lyrics in national anthem like - ''take me to the hamptons, Bugatti veyron'' can piss her off. unattainable opulence or w/e. she never had that sort of luxurious lifestyle and neither do most people. I don't think her being 16 has anything to do with it. her opinions on lana don't have to change or ''evolve'' and it doesn't seem like they will.

VyIsfwC.jpg

“What really got me is this ridiculous, unrelatable, unattainable opulence that runs throughout. Lana Del Rey is always singing about being in the Hamptons or driving her Bugatti Veyron or whatever, and at the time, me and my friends were at some house party worrying how to get home because we couldn’t afford a cab.

SO what? just because you couldn't afford something, doesn't mean the whole world should just stop spending their own money and start donating to you. lana didn't write that to be like, oh hey let me rub it in poor peoples faces, didn't write that to laugh at other peoples faces. its obvious she's just trying to relate to some folks and sorta start shit for her new album. 

Didn't she say somewhere she was a fan of Lana though? why the sudden change?

((((i do not mean to be disrespectful))))

also, no need to be bitter about other peoples fortunes. she needs to accept that not everybody is like everybody.

tumblr_mfdm68imF11rr0s0uo1_500.png

SO what? just because you couldn't afford something, doesn't mean the whole world should just stop spending their own money and start donating to you. lana didn't write that to be like, oh hey let me rub it in poor peoples faces, didn't write that to laugh at other peoples faces. its obvious she's just trying to relate to some folks and sorta start shit for her new album. 

i think she meant that she's not going to sing about that kind of stuff because she doesn't do it not that other people shouldn't be singing about it. that's kinda obvious though, i don't see the need for her to point that out tbh

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.