Sign in to follow this  
Hellish

Which songs do you think were intended for the new album?

The weeknd released a compilation a while ago with all his 3 albums that were available for free on the internet and still the album picked #4 at billboard and sold pretty well. In any Lana unreleased video on YT ( even in Summer wine and Chelsea Hotel) there's a lot of comments asking "where i can buy it?" "I don't find on itunes" from casual listeners and etc, so it would make sense to official release her previous work that is already available. Besides that she could increase her setlist. 

The Weeknd released his three mix tapes as an album because his fan base grew and he needed to start making some money from his songs, but he redeveloped them all and added 3 more songs on the rerelease. I don't think Lana needs to do that because she already has released songs, and almost all of her fans  have at least got AKA. I think she should focus on writing new music, especially since she's left that sound/persona behind her. If she'd wanted to release Chelsea Hotel by now I think she would have. I think she'll but Black Beauty on the new album and maybe a few more of the tracks that leaked, but other than that it will be all new material, which is better anyway! I'm not here to get rereleases of songs I've already listened to 500 times haha, she might surprise us again and pull a Yayo and decide to include something from her old discography, but she'd most likely rerecord it.

tumblr_mmtpxe9hDJ1qjdybto1_500.jpg

she already has lots of money and there's no point in re-releasing aka except it would be cool to have a physical release. and we already have the covers. i think everybody would prefer new material to songs from 2007/2008

The problem I have with saying it's ok NOT to re-release AKA is that I find it similar to saying something like "it's ok for every Depeche Mode album prior to 2007/2008 to be out of print". I mean what's the difference conceptually with respect to AKA? LDR's in good company wrt to suppressed earlier work (Amos, Morissette, Gaga, Perry/Hudson, Tyler the Creator), but I just don't understand that phenomenon, because these artists are guaranteed to have potential new fans 10 years in the future. Also just because some fans have listened to something 500 times (or has AKA already) doesn't mean everybody has.

Sorry, new here.

There's a search function up in the top right hand corner. It takes two seconds to see if someone has already posted something. It doesn't seem like a big deal to have a few double posts right now, but if we keep attracting new Lana fans, it will get old very fast.

Ooooh when did she say that?!  :flutter:

It was in some magazine interview around the time of Paradise release....I don't remember it was years ago! :defeated:

I remember that she said that she doesn't like the production on Mermaid Motel and so she would like to rework it, I'm sure other forum members remember this too...?

It was in some magazine interview around the time of Paradise release....I don't remember it was years ago! :defeated:

I remember that she said that she doesn't like the production on Mermaid Motel and so she would like to rework it, I'm sure other forum members remember this too...?

Oh okay thank you! I'd like it if she changed the way she sings on the verses. It bugs me lol

Lolita was from a while before Born to Die came out wasn't it (and probably heaps more like diet mtn dew and whatever else), therefore couldn't I Don't Wanna Go/Black Leather Moonlight/Tonight/whateverelseitscalled be intended for Born to Die, Paradise or even the "new album".

#pray4idontwannago

:icant:

tumblr_mnu5unziQx1qztgoio1_500.gif

I personally think that there may have been a few album concepts Lana had in mind before BTD and Paradise. Personally, I think that Hollywood's Dead, Damn You, TV in Black & White, Tired of Singing the Blues, True Love on the Side... I don't know, to keep from flooding the post, I'll just say that I think a lot of the songs we have heard could have been intended for the trifecta album (though I certainly feel AFFA and Starry Eyed are also included with Black Beauty.)

??? What is this trifecta album? Never heard of it. I love when artists have failed album concepts... something about it is so interesting.

I don't remember the interview but I have heard this a lot, and that she'd like to rework Kill Kill too.

A shame cuz the production on Mermaid Motel is the only reason I like it. Those orchestral hits and toms are just so cool; I've never heard a song like that. The chorus and verses, you can keep 'em. AKA is actually kind of interesting in the production sense, with things like that little oboe (?) in the beginning of For K Part 2 making it sound like something out of a noir film. It's less cohesive than BTD or Paradise, but it's still pretty cool.

I'd love to have a physical copy of AKA, honestly. I'm very big on having physical copies of things. She once expressed interest in re-releasing AKA, shortly after BTD, but it didn't happen. If she wants to re-record some of the tracks because they're meaningful to her, she could do some "AKA: Re-done" thing where she re-records tracks but includes the originals on a second disc as "demos" or "take one" or whatever title she wants to apply. She gets to show her old work in a new way while still preserving the originals, pleasing both herself and old fans. But I got a feeling the only way I'll ever get an official version of AKA on CD is begging David Kahne to give me one from when he handed them out at her shows (or something like that).

*sigh* I can dream, can I not?

I haven't heard any of the "forbidden five" (BB, AFFA, JFK?, Starry Eyed?, Hollywood?) other than Black Beauty and Angels Forever. She has so much damn stuff to hear that I basically just collect her unreleased stuff out of habit now. And Black Beauty doesn't sound like those layered a capellas she said she was talking about. I assume, therefore, that it's a demo. Without knowing the sound she wants for the finished record, it's hard to tell. And her own notorious way of describing her stuff (glam metal surf noir bollywood dance bbq) means it's hard to take her on her word. A spiritual, stripped-down album with layered a capellas. How stripped down? Is the spiritual element very strong in every song or is it a theme that varies in intensity? It's always a mystery with Lana. As such, I just go with the flow and say BB and AFFA were intended for album #3. That seems to be the only consensus anyone can come to. As for any other leaked tracks, I haven't heard them and as such have no opinion on them.

??? What is this trifecta album? Never heard of it. I love when artists have failed album concepts... something about it is so interesting.

I don't remember the interview but I have heard this a lot, and that she'd like to rework Kill Kill too.

A shame cuz the production on Mermaid Motel is the only reason I like it. Those orchestral hits and toms are just so cool; I've never heard a song like that. The chorus and verses, you can keep 'em. AKA is actually kind of interesting in the production sense, with things like that little oboe (?) in the beginning of For K Part 2 making it sound like something out of a noir film. It's less cohesive than BTD or Paradise, but it's still pretty cool.

I'd love to have a physical copy of AKA, honestly. I'm very big on having physical copies of things. She once expressed interest in re-releasing AKA, shortly after BTD, but it didn't happen. If she wants to re-record some of the tracks because they're meaningful to her, she could do some "AKA: Re-done" thing where she re-records tracks but includes the originals on a second disc as "demos" or "take one" or whatever title she wants to apply. She gets to show her old work in a new way while still preserving the originals, pleasing both herself and old fans. But I got a feeling the only way I'll ever get an official version of AKA on CD is begging David Kahne to give me one from when he handed them out at her shows (or something like that).

*sigh* I can dream, can I not?

I haven't heard any of the "forbidden five" (BB, AFFA, JFK?, Starry Eyed?, Hollywood?) other than Black Beauty and Angels Forever. She has so much damn stuff to hear that I basically just collect her unreleased stuff out of habit now. And Black Beauty doesn't sound like those layered a capellas she said she was talking about. I assume, therefore, that it's a demo. Without knowing the sound she wants for the finished record, it's hard to tell. And her own notorious way of describing her stuff (glam metal surf noir bollywood dance bbq) means it's hard to take her on her word. A spiritual, stripped-down album with layered a capellas. How stripped down? Is the spiritual element very strong in every song or is it a theme that varies in intensity? It's always a mystery with Lana. As such, I just go with the flow and say BB and AFFA were intended for album #3. That seems to be the only consensus anyone can come to. As for any other leaked tracks, I haven't heard them and as such have no opinion on them.

Yeah, I think we can agree that Black Beauty is a demo, not a finished version. It's very nice but has place for improvement in it's instrumental.

You're right, Mermaid Motel is really unique song. I love it as it is, I think it's perfect, but just like Paradise Yayo and the old one, here we would just have 2 awesome versions to listen to so I think it will be awesome if she goes for it.

As for the re-release, she had plans for a summer re-release last year, but it seems like she wants to distance herself from her past work now so I'm sure that is not going to happen.

Yeah, I think we can agree that Black Beauty is a demo, not a finished version. It's very nice but has place for improvement in it's instrumental.

You're right, Mermaid Motel is really unique song. I love it as it is, I think it's perfect, but just like Paradise Yayo and the old one, here we would just have 2 awesome versions to listen to so I think it will be awesome if she goes for it.

As for the re-release, she had plans for a summer re-release last year, but it seems like she wants to distance herself from her past work now so I'm sure that is not going to happen.

I wouldn't mind if she re-recorded it. It's her song, ultimately, and I'm curious as to what her ~*real*~ vision of the song is. Yayo and Yayo 2.0 aren't that different except 2.0 sort of removes everything I liked (I kid, I kid, but it has less crazy orchestration and echoes).

Maybe we should all e-mail her or however people contact her and talk about how awesome AKA is. :creep: Although if that ever did happen, I hope it gets remixed. The volume levels are a little wonky sometimes. Like the orchestral hits on Mermaid Motel start out quiet and then suddenly get super loud. And sometimes Lana is out of time with the backing track, though if Born To Die is any indication, that's just her being Lana. :rip: Oh well, AKA deserves to be released and I hope one day Lana will do just that.

The idea of outtakes from Paradise has always seemed weird to me given it was so short. I never got the "afterthought to Born to Die" idea (certainly Blue Velvet and Yayo weren't afterthoughts). I always thought "Hollywood's Dead" and "Damn You" were going to be on whatever was released after Born to Die and was somewhat shocked neither showed up on Paradise. I was somewhat shocked, given all the material she has, she didn't decide to do a sophmore album at that time (or just a longer "EP"). 

The most recent leaks (the ones on BlurredLinesVEVO) are all contenders for a next album, especially if they were produced after Paradise. I'd vote JFK for being intended on the basis of it sounding the most spiritual (vocal melody and style, not topic). Hawaiian Tropic on the basis of Spanish Guitars (and perhaps because it is somewhat more suppressed on Youtube, though on the basis of that, I would expect Scarface on the next release, LOL, although I really wouldn't mind that happening). 

Lana Del Rey AKA Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant:

So many people have had their way with her music (remixes, covers) that I wouldn't see any artistic compromise with her re-releasing original AKA and then redoing selected songs on future albums. She'd just be doing what everybody else has been doing. 

The idea of physical vs. digital is minor for me, as I don't have non-official digital (or physical) copies of AKA. So while it's currently true all AKA tracks are available on Youtube, I'm depending on the kindness of strangers to experience them. I'm assuming LDR has excellent control of what stays up on Youtube (and what comes down), so my experience for AKA is also due to her kindness. Her inconsistent nature works in my favor in that case (and I love her for that).