lflflflflflflflflflf

Ultraviolence - Pre-Release Thread

I think you're overestimating Interscope's influence on Lana's music. With a lot of musicians, the labels do have a lot of influence and tend to push their opinion but Lana seems to be pretty good at getting her way with them. She said they didn't like Paradise but she managed to release that, barely any singles, she got them to finance Tropico which probably isn't making them a lot of money (I mean the tickets were free and I doubt too many people are buying songs we already have) and she has never toured the US properly. I actually think it's quite impressive how much power Lana seems to have, she just does whatever she wants and I think she'll do the same with Ultraviolence. And I really wouldn't expect a US tour, I mean it would be cool if she does it and she may surprise everyone but if you expect it you'll just be let down.

This. I love Lana for being that stubborn about everything that she puts out music-wise. it's pretty great how she has continued to do it her own way.

Lana won't be forced to make music she doesn't want to. When it comes to promoting, that's another case. When a label wants you to tour, you will tour. When they don't like your album, they won't promote it properly. When they don't see you as somebody who brings them cash, they drop you after an unsuccessful era or two. The label has the last word, not the artist. Very few people have full creative control in the musicbiz and many of them are on indielabels, like Björk.

I think you're overestimating Interscope's influence on Lana's music. With a lot of musicians, the labels do have a lot of influence and tend to push their opinion but Lana seems to be pretty good at getting her way with them. She said they didn't like Paradise but she managed to release that, barely any singles, she got them to finance Tropico which probably isn't making them a lot of money (I mean the tickets were free and I doubt too many people are buying songs we already have) and she has never toured the US properly. I actually think it's quite impressive how much power Lana seems to have, she just does whatever she wants and I think she'll do the same with Ultraviolence. And I really wouldn't expect a US tour, I mean it would be cool if she does it and she may surprise everyone but if you expect it you'll just be let down.

I don't think a US tour is so far out of reach as you seem to say. I remember reading somewhere that Lana was gonna tour the US in 2012 during the summer but canceled because of the SNL backlash and I think part of that decision was from Interscope. They realized that America wasn't too keen on her and decided to focus on Europe where the people loved her. Now she's had a song in the top 10 (even if it's a remix, it's putting her name out there), she's nominated for two (or three depending on if you count the SS remix, but I personally don't) Grammys, she's performing at Cochella, and it looked like there was a pretty good turn out for the Tropico premiere. Lana is in demand in the US and you can really tell by the excitement for Ultraviolence. So I think that Interscope would really want her to tour America with this album to help keep her in the public eye and show those critics that bashed her that she really is a talented artist.

tumblr_ma0935r5Ds1rbghbvo1_500.gif

I don't believe much of Lana's talk really.  Paradise is really an EP more than an album, it was meant to be an addedum to Born to Die.  She might have had a whole album's worth of material by that time and had it shot down -- that's not that uncommon and often artists don't talk about it.  I think it's insane not to expect a US tour.  Touring and airplay are how she and Interscope gets paid, and she's under a contractual obligation and rising more to fame.  I'm sure she's feeling some pressure whether or not she'll ever admit it.  If there's any point in her career where Interscope's hands are in the cookie jar, it's now.  Like I said before, if it's a success, they'll let her have more freedom later.  But no matter how much manpower is given towards UV, there's never any guarentee it will be successful.

u6pq4c9.gif

I don't think a US tour is so far out of reach as you seem to say. I remember reading somewhere that Lana was gonna tour the US in 2012 during the summer but canceled because of the SNL backlash and I think part of that decision was from Interscope. They realized that America wasn't too keen on her and decided to focus on Europe where the people loved her. Now she's had a song in the top 10 (even if it's a remix, it's putting her name out there), she's nominated for two (or three depending on if you count the SS remix, but I personally don't) Grammys, she's performing at Cochella, and it looked like there was a pretty good turn out for the Tropico premiere. Lana is in demand in the US and you can really tell by the excitement for Ultraviolence. So I think that Interscope would really want her to tour America with this album to help keep her in the public eye and show those critics that bashed her that she really is a talented artist.

I want to go back to something you said earlier. You acknowledged that you didn’t have a great welcoming into the American public eye, but now, a year and half after Born to Die came out, you’re connecting with a new audience via the “Summertime Sadness” remix at Top 40 radio.

Lana: It just reinforces the fact that… not that nothing really matters, but that other people’s opinions don’t really matter because it can change on a dime. And if people are so ready to change, maybe they don’t have the strongest character. I’m not as interested in flip-floppers. I kind of feel blessed the more I go along. I have a young brother and sister, and it’s gotten really basic for me and become about the family. How are we all going to live together if I’m on the road? Are they going to come with me? Will I ever go home again? Probably not.

My new product manager, whom I’d never met before, brought me a SoundScan to show me that “Summertime Sadness” was being spun, a lot of times in L.A. and in New York. It kind of just doesn’t feel like it’s mine, ‘cause I’ve had such a hand up to my face for so long.

I'm not against Lana playing in the US at all, I think it'd be great if she did but I don't think people should get her hopes up because we've expected American dates a few times now and she only played only played one big festival last year, and one this year.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I want to go back to something you said earlier. You acknowledged that you didn’t have a great welcoming into the American public eye, but now, a year and half after Born to Die came out, you’re connecting with a new audience via the “Summertime Sadness” remix at Top 40 radio.

Lana: It just reinforces the fact that… not that nothing really matters, but that other people’s opinions don’t really matter because it can change on a dime. And if people are so ready to change, maybe they don’t have the strongest character. I’m not as interested in flip-floppers. I kind of feel blessed the more I go along. I have a young brother and sister, and it’s gotten really basic for me and become about the family. How are we all going to live together if I’m on the road? Are they going to come with me? Will I ever go home again? Probably not.

My new product manager, whom I’d never met before, brought me a SoundScan to show me that “Summertime Sadness” was being spun, a lot of times in L.A. and in New York. It kind of just doesn’t feel like it’s mine, ‘cause I’ve had such a hand up to my face for so long.

I'm not against Lana playing in the US at all, I think it'd be great if she did but I don't think people should get her hopes up because we've expected American dates a few times now and she only played only played one big festival last year, and one this year.

That was simply because

a) SNL and Interscopes fear that the public wouldn't be interested in her

b) after the dates in Europe, SS became a smash and suprise hit in the States and there was no time left to plan a US tour.

With a new album out, if it sells, she will tour in the States. Not an overlong tour probably, but the demand is there and she will acknowledge it.

I don't think Interscope will have to "work hard" to make this era into a success at all. Born to Die was on the top 25 most sold albums of 2013 and it's still on the Billboard top 200 even though it was released two years ago. And sure the EDM remix was more of a success but the original still did well and the album's longevity prove people are interested to hear more than her remixed singles.

tumblr_msfqg0hpqG1sx7kg2o5_250.gif

I think that even though it leaked, Black Beauty will still be on Ultraviolence. I don't think it'll be the single though.

I'm hoping to see some of these re-released on the album:

Kill Kill (though we know she had plans to release Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant again, so maybe not)

Serial Killer

Hundred Dollar Bill (makes an "ultra-violent" reference, so...?)

Is It Wrong?

Velvet Crowbar

I just think that these songs stand a chance of being included.

As for a release date, I've honestly no idea what to think. Knowing Lana, she'll say "coming soon". Whatever that ever means.

Fingers crossed for a deluxe version, though I can't imagine why there wouldn't be one.

Yo, when are we getting the Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant re-release?  :cuteface:

I think that even though it leaked, Black Beauty will still be on Ultraviolence. I don't think it'll be the single though.

I'm hoping to see some of these re-released on the album:

Kill Kill (though we know she had plans to release Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant again, so maybe not)

Serial Killer

Hundred Dollar Bill (makes an "ultra-violent" reference, so...?)

Is It Wrong?

Velvet Crowbar

I just think that these songs stand a chance of being included.

As for a release date, I've honestly no idea what to think. Knowing Lana, she'll say "coming soon". Whatever that ever means.

Fingers crossed for a deluxe version, though I can't imagine why there wouldn't be one.

I always think it's crazy when people hope for songs that have been leaked and listened to thousands of times by hard-core fans to be re-released on Ultraviolence. Of course there is that maybe there and I would love to be proven wrong and have a song re-released but I think it's kinda unrealistic to be hoping for one. I think Yayo was a song that was very important to Lana for some reason and is why she had it uploaded on her Youtube channel and re-released on Paradise. Unless she has another song that she holds so near and dear to her heart, I don't think we'll be getting a re-released song on this album.

I always think it's crazy when people hope for songs that have been leaked and listened to thousands of times by hard-core fans to be re-released on Ultraviolence. Of course there is that maybe there and I would love to be proven wrong and have a song re-released but I think it's kinda unrealistic to be hoping for one. I think Yayo was a song that was very important to Lana for some reason and is why she had it uploaded on her Youtube channel and re-released on Paradise. Unless she has another song that she holds so near and dear to her heart, I don't think we'll be getting a re-released song on this album.

There is chance for Kill Kill and Mermaid Motel 2.0 versions....

I feel kind of indifferent about them really, if they come well good, but they are taking the slot of a brand new slot...so whatever.

How many songs would you like on the album?

I'm not here for some 12-14 songs tracklist (that always feels like such a letdown I don't know how Adele fans cope tbh), I want at least 18 new tracks, but the more the better. :fact:

There is chance for Kill Kill and Mermaid Motel 2.0 versions....

I feel kind of indifferent about them really, if they come well good, but they are taking the slot of a brand new slot...so whatever.

How many songs would you like on the album?

I'm not here for some 12-14 songs tracklist (that always feels like such a letdown I don't know how Adele fans cope tbh), I want at least 18 new tracks, but the more the better. :fact:

As much as I would love 18 songs on the album, I think we'll be getting about 14-16 songs with the deluxe edition, if we get a deluxe edition, like what she did with Born to Die. If no deluxe edition, I see about 10-12 songs but I really hope we get a deluxe edition because I always find myself loving the songs on there the most. :flutter:

Wait the album is almost done? What's this about Juliette Lewis?! Sorry I haven't been on in awhile lol.

When the Paradise tour was still going strong (and that was a while ago) Rob and Chuck said that Lana is progressing very well with the new album. 

So yeah, she must have finished plenty of songs already, if not all.

But maybe her team will arrange a promotional campaign now too... :creep:

I don't think we'll hear anything old.  "Yayo" was rerecorded because it seemed pretty important personally to Lana.  It had several versions and survived throughout the years.  The only unreleased songs that seem as important might be "Hundred Dollar Bill" and we might see some kind of version of "Every Man Gets His Wish"/"Hawaiian Tropic"/"Daytona Meth" since that idea has obviously been kicking around in her head a bit.  Otherwise, I really doubt anything old popping up on this album, aside from the two recent ones -- BB and AFFA.  Those days have kind of passed.

u6pq4c9.gif