lflflflflflflflflflf

Ultraviolence - Pre-Release Thread

Before people start taking this interview (assuming it actually took place) too literally (too late it seems), let me remind you that what Lana actually said was first translated into swedish by the interviewer or someone else on the newspaper, then translated back to english by Google Translate and me. So please chill, this is most likely pretty far from what she actually said.

However, I personally don't find the interview very upsetting even in it's current form. There's a big difference between describing fantasies/themes and actually supporting domestic violence. So once again, please don't blow this out of proportion.

The last thing you should be doing is trying to put words in people's mouths when your graphic post was a full-blown, direct trigger to some past-victims that you are trying to argue about this with (who, surprising it may be to you, may be handling this interview differently than you'd expect.) If you were trying to "glamorize" your point with such vile and insensitive imagery, I am not moved. That was insensitive, no matter which way you cut the cake.

This is the last time I'm going to respond to you because this is becoming a revolving-door.

You are so dumb lana's statement was a trigger for me but oh no that's okay because it's just words it means nothing but to actually see it is different well some of us live/lived it. It's total bullshit so don't fucking sit there telling me shit I know about and you clearly don't you're just speculating, the last thing I want to hear is someone glamorizing in on an album when people have spent the last 20 years trying to get away from that. 

If I went to jail, at least I wouldn't have to sign autographs

You are so dumb lana's statement was a trigger for me but oh no that's okay because it's just words it means nothing but to actually see it is different well some of us live/lived it. It's total bullshit so don't fucking sit there telling me shit I know about and you clearly don't you're just speculating, the last thing I want to hear is someone glamorizing in on an album when people have spent the last 20 years trying to get away from that.

I wasn't going to respond, but you didn't pick up the hints before, so I just wanted to clarify you don't know a thing about the "dumb" person you're trying to give an education.

I already stated I was a past-victim. I'm sorry you had to go through it, too, but we're not getting into this because it is a complete digression.

I'd read further, but the fact that you're now turning this into verbal attacks?

I'm a big boy, I don't gotta play like you. And what you eat don't make me shit. Take care. :bye2:

Anyway.

Anyone think we're gonna have a title-track?

You're being really rude and abrasive at this point. I understand that this is a contentious interview and we have a lot of varying, passionate viewpoints, but that doesn't give you license to be a jerk in your delivery. Cut it out or I will formally reprimand you (warning points, post ban, etc).

I wasn't being rude or abrasive I was saying the statement was a trigger for me if you don't understand that them you don't 

If I went to jail, at least I wouldn't have to sign autographs

Yeah, you're done here. When you can express your point of view without resorting telling people that they're dumb, you can start posting again. 

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

Do i really sound like I'm being sarcastic I'm pissed about this bullshit and everyone trying trallyo justify it 

Lana is a steely business woman. she is very stubborn and won't compromise with her art. but like any other human being she needs to lose control sometimes. Don't take it so literally. Have you ever seen a picture of her with bruises.

Before people start taking this interview (assuming it actually took place) too literally (too late it seems), let me remind you that what Lana actually said was first translated into swedish by the interviewer or someone else on the newspaper, then translated back to english by Google Translate and me. So please chill, this is most likely pretty far from what she actually said.

However, I personally don't find the interview very upsetting even in it's current form. There's a big difference between describing fantasies/themes and actually supporting domestic violence. So once again, please don't blow this out of proportion.

This is very important to remember when dealing with Lana. She glamourizes a lot of potentially harmful /controversial things and even in her sweeter songs there are often themes of tragedy, resignation and sadness. That is a big part of the appeal for a lot of people, myself included. 

It's not just the lyric though is it, it's the statement about the lyric 

I sing, for example, "he hit me and it felt like a kiss", a feeling I love. You know when you think it's love, but it's so passionate that it becomes aggressive. It is an attractive quality to me. In a world where everyone is bored, I like people with emotion.

It's fucked up and anyone who thinks it isn't needs to ask themselves why 

Some of us have a reason to be fucking salty!

You saying these things is offensive to people who enjoy this kind of foreplay / sex / whatever. Some who are actually into this kind of passion are scared to act on their feelings and accept it because of people like you, calling it fucked up. Seriously, I mean YES WE ARE IN YEAR 2014 and it shouldn't be a problem for you to at least argue respectful so no one who's into this has to feel offended. It takes two (or more idk) to agree on this kind of sex, with the same wishes and expectations and it's definitely not what you're trying to make it look like: rape. Rape is something else.

Okay, I'm done.

I don't know Swedish, but it's pretty similar to Danish and I know enough Danish to be able to say Google Translate has translated it back to English pretty accurately. Whether her words were accurately translated into Swedish in the first place is another question, but I'd be surprised if they weren't. Scandinavian languages have pretty similar grammar and sentence structure as English and Scandinavians learn English in school from an early age.

(FWIW, if Lana and her management end up trying to claim she was misquoted or something was lost in translation, I'd be disinclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. They tried to pull that trick before with the quote about her name coming from "a series of managers and lawyers over the last 5 years who wanted a name that they thought better fit the sound of the music." That came from a pre-fame interview that had the fingerprints of Ben Mawson's heavy-handedness all over it: "A very special thanks to Lana and to Ben @ SSB, for all of their time and help." :usrs:)

I have to say I'm perpetually amused by how many of you bend over backwards and contort yourselves in knots to rationalize comments of hers like these or the fetishization of domestic violence in her work ("oh, she's just into S&M"), or to defend her against charges of being antifeminist (or at least insufficiently feminist). My enjoyment of her work doesn't depend on this very much so I don't feel compelled to deny what is undeniably a current in her work or abstain from criticism of it.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I have to say I'm perpetually amused by how many of you bend over backwards and contort yourselves in knots to rationalize comments of hers like these or the fetishization of domestic violence in her work ("oh, she's just into S&M"), or to defend her against charges of being antifeminist (or at least insufficiently feminist). My enjoyment of her work doesn't depend on this very much so I don't feel compelled to deny what is undeniably a current in her work or abstain from criticism of it.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not really trying to convert anyone to an opposing side or don't want them to have their disclosure just because I may not agree; all I'm really assertive about is just being open to different angles before getting too worked up. Sometimes the feedback from both sides gets a little scathing and hyperbolized, and I could get frustrated about it, but I'm otherwise open. I can admit that I am probably wrong, and I'm not saying that it was not rather feckless of Lana to make that comment, because it was not as articulate as it was audaciously-worded. I've always had a slight personal bias with written interviews, and I have a habit of interpreting and thinking things abstractly as often as I do concretely, so nine-out-of-ten times, I'm conflicted with my own observations and perspectives. :eek:

And I really love Smarty, and I know that song's especially dark and really black and white about it.

45d38fa5c69293d09bc1be5c30cb6309.jpg

Can this thread talk about something relevant other than people's personal opinions on merely speculation of what her personal beliefs are on the topic of violence? If you like it cool, if you don't, also cool. Lana isn't going to change her beliefs based on any of your comments anyways. 

So she's working on a new photoshoot. Thoughts, expectations, hopes?

tumblr_n90y9oYmu41qzj1pro1_500.gif

So she's working on a new photoshoot. Thoughts, expectations, hopes?

Hmm...maybe shooting for album art? I hope.

I'd really like to see something like that West Coast(?) instagram snippet that looks like one of her home-recorded videos. I am in love with how her hair frames her face.

I'd definitely like to see more freebird-style of dress, maybe casually-formal. Just sexy. Fuck it, she can wear a crop-top made out of a potato sack and it would still look sexy.

no one knows if she really said that or not. it doesnt seem like she would say that in quite that way but i wouldnt be surprised. im gonna wait til the album or at least another song/lyrics to reserve judgement on if her style has really changed.

I have to say I'm perpetually amused by how many of you bend over backwards and contort yourselves in knots to rationalize comments of hers like these or the fetishization of domestic violence in her work ("oh, she's just into S&M"), or to defend her against charges of being antifeminist (or at least insufficiently feminist)

it is pretty funny but its disheartening in the least to know she's advocating these things, if she even is. i thought she was smarter than all of that but.. :bye2:

maybe she's trying [too hard] to be edgy because anyone with those attitudes or 'anti' feminist or even at least equalist attitudes in this day and age..well, is a bit silly imo

:bye3:

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.

we literally all just agreed to DROP THE TOPIC and you're gonna do the exact opposite. okay.

dont get all caps lock on me. i havent been on the forum for a while, saw the topic and thought i would reply. that okay with you?

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.

dont get all caps lock on me. i havent been on the forum for a while, saw the topic and thought i would reply. that okay with you?

lmao not if we all decided to stop talking about it. think before you actually post stuff.

they call you CRY BABY, CRY BABY / but you don't fucking care!!