Viva

Poll: What pop star will have Madonna's longevity?

Longetivity  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What artist will have Madonna's longevity?

• Lana Del Rey
    • Adele
    • Rihanna
    • Katy Perry
    • Pink
    • Taylor Swift
    • Lady Gaga
    • Beyoncé
    • Miley Cyrus
    • Lorde
    • Gwen Stefani
    • Demi Lovato
    • Shakira
    • Florence
    • Nicki Minaj
    • Avril Lavigne
    • Ellie Goulding
    • Azealia Banks

@ to be fair Avril already got through the 10+ years mark. I put her in the list for a kick because she's not really a pop artist like Amy Lee or Florence. I think Avril and the other 2 will be around for a long time.

The ones I'm pretty sure will have longevity

1. Adele

2. Miley

3. Rihanna

4. Lana

Maybe

1. Katy Perry

2. Lady Gaga

3. Shakira

4. Beyoncé

edit*

Adele- Besides been the less expensive of them all since all she really needs is a mic, a piano and a couple of lights Adele is a complete artist. The only thing that can get in her way is Adele herself getting tired of it all and deciding to retire at 30 or so. If she doesn't pretty sure we will listen to her when we are 80. She's white Brit version of Aretha and young Tina. I refuse to die before she does a duet with Madonna and make Beyoncé burn all her wigs in dispaire

Miley - Miley is Madonna smart and the fact most people think she's dumb as a door goes in her favor. I actually am very excited to see what's next for Miley because she has it all: The brains, marketing vision, the voice, sense of humor and self awareness and musical ability to go very far. I also think she was born with the strong structure to get through the punches like Madonna. 

Rihanna - The best and most successful pop star of our generation. Riri is amazing tbh, look at how she's successful at every single thing she does: hit songs, fashion lines, movies, tours, everything she touches turns into hits or money. AMAZING. The fact Rihanna doesn't give 2 cents to all her glory, awards, albums, tours and campaigns also is amazing.  Like "Give me that shit award because I have better things to do I'm bored here" 

Lana - Lana can go both ways but I think she's here to stay and slay. Song writing skills is very important for longevity, when all the looks fade and tricks don't work anymore. Lana has that in her favor and also her voice , like Adele and Rihanna, have a pretty unique sound. 

Katy Perry - I really like The Perry but I can't see her evolving from this KP to Madonna Katy Perry or Lana Katy Perry. Does that make any sense? Like when funny, cool katy is over, what's left?

I hope she does tho I think KP is a great visual artist and can write some really good pop songs, let's see if she can have a long career. 

Gaga - Gaga has a lot of talent and even if I'm not a fan and poke her a lot, I can't deny that. I also think The Fame Monster is one of the best pop albums of the last decades. I think the problem with Gaga is not talent is team work or lake of it, complete mess when the subject is organization and making plans go through. If she gets her shit together she can go far no doubt. The same bitch who wrote the basics ARTFLOP and Born This Fay is the woman who wrote the incredibles The Fame and The Fame Monster so I will give her a couple more shots, who knows?

Shakira - Shaki needs to put her shot together. She's here for a long time, 20 years, but her star is not as used to be. I guess in amny ways Shakira is a different type of pop star. I mean speaks 7 languages, has an IQ that blows roofs, created a international successful charity which not only is a success but the method she's used in her educational system is used in several countries. Yes, she created her own method and she started her charity at 17 with the money of her first album. Everything she does is for education specially for kids. Pies Descalzos and Barefoot are amazing tbh. I thiink that makes her different from the rest like Audrey was. But success is success and those 7.000 kids she supports wont feed themselves so she better bring some better material to the table.

Beyoncé - Ugh...when she runs out of people to steal ideas and credits what will happen to her? She also terrifies me because she has only 3 facial expressions and is not caused by excessive botox. She literally and naturally has 3 facial expressions.  That and the fact her hair needs 90 fans to move when she's on stage bugs the hell out of me....now tell me if that's not bizarre? I can't see America able to lie to the entire world much longer when the subject is : Beyoncé is the queen, she's amazing. I mean let's talk about her amazing, incredible, marketing team. Can you imagine how different Gaga's career would be if her team was half as effective as Beysus?

People will see that Beysus act and songs are as basic as a banana soon. Right??

glgcDdT.gif

LoL how nobody voted for Taylor :oic2:

She did say that when her popularity begins to drop she will happily retire and have a nice garden (so be a trophy wife)

I think Katy Perry has the chance. If she could sing live, she really would be the full package.

However, her team is awesome. They really know what they are doing. They are not going to play the childish fun-card forever, but they knew it would work for another Album cycle, and it kind of does....

Miley, really? I mean, even she admits that she's capitalizing on controversy and gimmicks... :stareney2:

Yeah I think @@SitarHero. I'm amused as you lol saying that about Hannah Montana  :toofunny:

Everything is gimmicks until a certain extent , isn't ? The difference between Miley and most is that she has a great album and tour to support the gimmicks. Another thing about Miley: she doesn't want to fool you with the fact she's fooling you. When did you saw an artist say bluntly that "was for the view, was a gimmick and no it wasn't for the music or art" ?? She's so honest is confusing LOL.  I saw the concert (youtube since she didn't got here YET) and seems everything I expected to be. Pitchfork did an awesome critic (for a change) that express a lot how I feel about Miley.

here if you are interested 

glgcDdT.gif

LoL how nobody voted for Taylor :oic2:

She did say that when her popularity begins to drop she will happily retire and have a nice garden (so be a trophy wife)

I am with you!

If that pop stuff doesn't work anymore she can go back to country. I don't think she will ever disappear ...

Yeah I think @@SitarHero. I'm amused as you lol saying that about Hannah Montana  :toofunny:

Everything is gimmicks until a certain extent , isn't ? The difference between Miley and most is that she has a great album and tour to support the gimmicks. Another thing about Miley: she doesn't want to fool you with the fact she's fooling you. When did you saw an artist say bluntly that "was for the view, was a gimmick and no it wasn't for the music or art" ?? She's so honest is confusing LOL.  I saw the concert (youtube since she didn't got here YET) and seems everything I expected to be. Pitchfork did an awesome critic (for a change) that express a lot how I feel about Miley.

here if you are interested 

I get this, and there's no denying that this era is extremely successful. But can she accomplish the same in the future? Will she take the same tactics? Idk I don't see it as measuring up to her standard, not that I'm really rooting for her to fail.

Katy Perry - I really like The Perry but I can't see her evolving from this KP to Madonna Katy Perry or Lana Katy Perry. Does that make any sense? Like when funny, cool katy is over, what's left?

I hope she does tho I think KP is a great visual artist and can write some really good pop songs, let's see if she can have a long career. 

Beyoncé - Ugh...when she runs out of people to steal ideas and credits what will happen to her? She also terrifies me because she has only 3 facial expressions and is not caused by excessive botox. She literally and naturally has 3 facial expressions.  That and the fact her hair needs 90 fans to move when she's on stage bugs the hell out of me....now tell me if that's not bizarre? I can't see America able to lie to the entire world much longer when the subject is : Beyoncé is the queen, she's amazing. I mean let's talk about her amazing, incredible, marketing team. Can you imagine how different Gaga's career would be if her team was half as effective as Beysus?

People will see that Beysus act and songs are as basic as a banana soon. Right??

its funny cause Kety said Prism was inspired by Madonna, like how can you copy madge make an album that bad..

and yattthh spill that tea on Beyonce :creep:

I wanna say Gaga because she's the superior here, lbr, but idk. Her last couple eras have not been as successful for her, and I'm not sure if the GP will ever get over the "topping Bad Romance" thing. I mean I personally think she is continuing to get better and better but the GP doesn't seem to. Idk.

H0bDaqU.gif

In my opinion none of them. Someone completely new will probably come in the future and become the biggest/influential singer/performer. None of this girls really have classics that will be remembered years from now like "Like a Virgin" etc... And I don't think Adele should be on this list, Adele is not a pop star and if she is remembered it will be like Whitney/Nina Simone, nor really "stars" but women with great voices.

The only ones who have been relevant for many years from your list are Beyonce/Shakira, the others are just starting including Rihanna. Beyonce's fan base will never die out and she has one of the best voices in the industry even after singing for so many years she's still at her peak today vocally. And Shakira is already a Latin legend getting stronger and stronger specially with the world cup coming soon, she has the talent to be even greater.

BTW thank you @@Viva for not including Brittany Spears, I'm sick of people calling her Princess of Pop, she's very far from being that.

I wanna say Gaga because she's the superior here, lbr, but idk. Her last couple eras have not been as successful for her, and I'm not sure if the GP will ever get over the "topping Bad Romance" thing. I mean I personally think she is continuing to get better and better but the GP doesn't seem to. Idk.

i think people on the internet are like blind with the "she has to top their hits", i mean the gp really doesnt care about that they just buy what they like.

My interest in Gaga has faded but I saw her live last week, and I honestly think she will be around for a while. I'm not a huge fan of hers anymore but she KILLED it, and her voice is amazing.

karma drawn up in lines / baby it's a freebie you sure look deprived

I don't think " top" is the right word, imo is make something as good or better that Bad Romance. That's something will haunt Gaga's career for a while I guess because The Fame Monster was truly a masterpiece of an era and album. Her personality got too over the top as well in the Born This Fay era and continued to grow even more with ARTPOP.  The difference is there isn't a Bad Romance masterpiece for people forget about her bs and concentrate on the videos/music.

The talent is certainly there but also the ego, lake of organization and effective team work. I guess what happened after the The Fame Monster was that not only Gaga thought she was a legend BY HERSELF but her team thought the same thing with the originals going separate ways. Which is proven not to be true , together they were incredible. Her ideas are good and I believe with the right composition of different talents (Marketing, Strategy (for releases); Visual artists she can go far. Madonna didn't do it all herself you know? It's humanly  impossible for her to control the "Gaga" machine without a team in the level of Beyoncé's or Katy's. The same will happen with Miley for now she can control it all but if the success continues and goes even bigger she wont be able to do it herself, the need of a team comes with your "size" 

Gaga is a joke now and is a waste because talent by talent she does have it. On paper she is the most complete of the triad Katy-Gaga-Rihanna yet KP's team and campaigns are better and Rihanna gives us more hits. In my view Gaga can go to stardom again with her new era or obscurity and is definetely up to her and who she chooses to work with her

glgcDdT.gif

IMO, Madonna's longevity is of a particular kind that isn't purely related to music. There's stuff going on like being a fashion icon (and staying in great shape to be so), having social influence, doing epic (and expensively staged) tours with broadway quality choreography and production, and movie engagements (i.e., Evita, and documentaries implying her living legend status). These constitute what it means for Madonna to be long-lived in popular culture. On the basis of that, I get Beyonce and Gaga as reasonable predictions for something similar. 

However, when I voted for LDR, I was thinking of (or hoping for) simple longevity from talent and love of craft. So for instance, Blondie and Deborah Harry put out an album some weeks ago (Ghosts of Download). DH has 13 years on M agewise, and I find her kind of longevity (as well as the actual songs associated with her and Blondie) just as impressive. That kind of longevity doesn't haven't to mean "not relevant" either.  I could use an obvious example like the Rolling Stones, but given my tastes, I find it cool that the super-talented old pros, Depeche Mode, came in just behind Beyonce, and ahead of 1-Direction and Justin Bieber, in touring grosses for 2013. 

Two examples that Madonna is way beyond any of these girls.

http://time.com/109947/web-ranking/

All of Madonna's so called "contemporaries" (Cher, Kylie, Debbie Harry and any of her wannabes from the 80s and 90s) are no where on this list. Janet being an exception because she is after all a Jackson but also paved her own way. Beyoncé is at her peak right now, fans wise, so it's no surprise she's up there. Madonna is gonna be 56 this year meanwhile her closest musical competition here is Beyoncé who is 25 years younger. When will the rest of these girls get there? And if this were the 80s Madonna would still be on this list and it'd surely be past where any of these girls are.

Tn8yuza.png

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/madonna-doctor-note-jury-duty-sources-article-1.1806834

Front page of the NY Post yet there really is no scandal because she sent in a legit doctors note. Whether she's sick or not she probably was busy or whatever. She's still rescheduling her jury time yet this is a front page story.