Sitar

LANALYSIS: Relating Songs To Known/Assumed Relationships

8 hours ago, genghis khan said:

The more likely answer is that blue is just a nice colour. It's sad, it's related to old american music, and it's the colour of the sea which she also loves using as a symbol

I was kind of half-kidding there lol. Blue is a beautiful color, it's one of my favorites. I mean blue is where the name blues came, of course she likes it. And blue is very America too. The color of skies and seas too. :flutter:

url%5D

1 hour ago, taco truck said:

West coast is about Mike Mizrahi right?

I think it was about her in a nightclub and settling down in California because the first line ("down on the west coast they've got a saying, if you're not drinking then you're not playing...") was from a stranger who said that to Lana in the club

url%5D

3 minutes ago, Embach said:

I think it was about her in a nightclub and settling down in California because the first line ("down on the west coast they've got a saying, if you're not drinking then you're not playing...") was from a stranger who said that to Lana in the club

i agree it's about her moving to california, but there is also a theme of leaving a man to pursue your career which is in line with what seemingly happened between her and mike.

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

On 3/4/2023 at 5:47 PM, Kiki de Montparnasse said:

girl STOP- :excited: i also have a theory that k was mentioned in fingertips 

ok so i'm not the most articulated person in english but i need to let these thoughts out:

for k, pt. 1/drive-by

It was a drive-by Sunday night

Most of us were in bed all right

I turned down the light

Then I heard the sirens

Interrupt the silence

Is this what you wished

To commit a crime?

K's a friend of mine

I think about him as he does time

Miss his white wine

Funny I don't feel free

Even though it's not me

Is this what you wished

To leave me behind?

for k, pt. 2

I like the way you wear your sweater off your shoulder

The way your hair come down, it make you look older

How you get that so handsome, my boy?

Oh, mmm

my theory is that k was lana's childhood friend, most likely her neighbour, not much older. she probably grew up with him, at a certain age started developing a crush on him. he was probably her first "love".

him being of course problematic, "chasing for that paper", abusing drugs, committing crimes and in general being a bad influence on her during their teenage years (pre-boarding school).

pt. 1 to me reads as if the police arrived to arrest him at his place, lana being his neighbour could hear the sirens from her room. she most likely never got the chance to see him again after they took him.

she probably had many questions, "what did he do?", "why did he do it?". he was a "nice guy", he was her friend, her first love, why did he leave her?

she keeps asking him "is this what you wished...?", questions she never got to make him directly and never got the answers to. imagine then hearing through the news that your childhood friend and first love was found guilty for double homicide and later sent on to death row.

are you still with me? i think these lines in fingertips might be about k

Hide contents

When I was 15, naked 
Next door neighbors did a drive-by
Pulled me up by my waist
Long hair, to the beach side 
I wanted to go out like you… 

she did say something about explaining everything from the beginning. if k is real then to me it makes sense that she's mentioning him in fingertips too.

also, not defending lana's mom, but if one of my daughter's only friends (we know lana used to struggle socially back then) and probably first boyfriend turns out to be a criminal and a bad influence on my daughter, with her developing problems with alcohol and also undiagnosed mental health issues, i mean... not hard to see why she would want to send lizzy away to boarding school.

i know those lines are open to many interpretations but anyways thanks for reading my fanfiction  :air:

The police taking him away kinda reminded me of blue jeans 

„Just want it like before, we were dancing all night

Then they took you away, stole you out of my life“
She didn’t know what he did all she saw is the police taking him away without an explanation wich could be interpreted as stealing. 
lemmeknow what u think abt this idea

On 7/9/2023 at 8:50 PM, Let the Light In said:

September 2019: Lana and Sean Larkin seen together and started dating

March 2020: Sean Larkin confirmed break up

August 2020: Lana and Clayton followed each other on Instagram, allegedly met on Bumble

I see that August 6, 2020 is the time when she anounced the title Tulsa Jesus Freak. It makes sense with this timeline. It was meant to be a direct shade to Sean, changing it from White Hot Forever to that. 

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

On 7/11/2023 at 1:56 PM, Unidentified Major Tom said:

I don't really know and I have no concrete evidence, but I still think the song NFR is about Jonathan Wilson, and maybe other songs of the album, and also some poems of Violet.

It reminds me of the white mustang music video where the guy, wearing long hair, was producing music or in a party instead of taking care of her, so she left. 

About that, it was said that the video were supposed to be made in first intention for Best American Record. He could be the musician she was talking about, writing his own record with her (she collaborated in his album Rare Birds) :

I think their albums "Rare Birds" and NFR (what about Bird World ?) talk about each other. About the name "Rare Birds", Jonathan said that it stands for two lovers like two unique individuals who met and fell in love.

There are several songs in Rare Brids that make me feel are about Lana. 

This was an amazing read. Now "Bird World" title makes a lot of sense. Do we know his height because Father John Misty recently said that she told him the guy in NFR is actually 5'8''  and previously said he knows who the song is about but can't say it (Jonathan Wilson produced several FJM albums). The reworked version of The Next Best American Record has the lyrics "Topanga's hot tonight". I wonder if it also points to him as he has a production studio in Topanga right now.

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

9 minutes ago, Embach said:

I'm the minority who believes that NFR's of title was Burnt World not Bird World

I too think Burnt World sounds it fits the album’s imagery and lyrics but in the above video I linked they clearly say bird several times with no “nt” sound.

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

So if The Next Best American Record is about Jonathan Wilson, then Yosemite is about him too since they are sister songs. If we look at the bridge she sings "How deep was the canyon that you came from?" and it makes sense as he is from Laurel Canyon. The puzzle pieces come together and I think @Unidentified Major Tom you are totally right about your theory.

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

I listened to Your Girl many many times today after a long time and it got me thinking - whom is Your Girl really about? and the "been gone for three years" thing too, like I know it's about her fame but the song isn't about Barrie and it doesn't seem to be about that Jim/cult thing either right? at first I thought it was about her ex Rob (or Ron, I kinda forgot his name) whom she wrote Yayo and Heroin about, like he died in early Jan 2011 and she wrote that song in late 2013 so it kinda would've be almost three years since his death, so he would've been gone for three years...but like who has been gone for three years - Lana or the guy she's referring to? or is it about her Lizzy days? and what does Versailles have to do with it? Like did she really mention the palace in France or is it a place in the US with the same name? idk just thinking thoughts and probably overthinking it, as always :um2:

url%5D

On 4/20/2017 at 3:38 PM, Goddess said:

A theory on Your Gal, I haven't looked into the exact dates but is it possibly that she wrote this song while on tour with Jimmy Gnecco? I remember after her tour with him (or during) she released the title song of Ultraviolence and they had to asure the Jim in that song was not related to him. I've always found it strange that there just happened to be a second Jim in Lana's life. But anyways, the lyrics in YG go "been on tour too long, had too much time to think," and then in the bridge it says "late at night, baby your my sign, call me late if you want to get high.... late at night you and I can get to know one another." What if this was written with the excruciating pain of having your long time crush and/or ex lover on tour with you, thinking about them constantly, knowing that they are sleeping in the hotel room across the hall from you, hoping to get that call in the middle of the night & maybe do drugs again together like you used to. "You and I can get to know one another..." Again.

I wish I was your* girl.

wait why the hell it makes so much sense :hdu::oprah4:

url%5D

On 5/26/2017 at 1:28 AM, MahaMaha said:

Well, here goes nothing  :facepalm: I've had this theory for years..

So I have gathered similiar lyrics but did consider the "drive by sunday night" reference and the timing is also a bit earlier (making it line up with the release of Sirens). The difference though is that this crime took place in South LA. (We all know she travelled through the USA as mentioned in several songs and videos, I believe this was during her gap year. Tropico proves the LA theory as well)

The double homocide took place on April 6th 2004 (Sunday to Monday night"drive by sunday night" - For K)

at 2AM ("I was shot at 2AM" - Jump -> as in that's when Lana died, too, because she lost him forever because of the crime)

over a drug dispute (I'm not gonna quote obvious themes in her music :toofunny:

Lana was 18 at the time (gap year) 

Two men shot a man and three women (witnesses) in the Nickerson Gardens housing project, two of the women survived and one of them was brave enough to testify (She died September the same year, and her funeral took place in St. Paul's Baptist Chruch ("Swinging in and out of Old Paul's" - Video Games)

Sidenote: This could be a stretch but there's a Willowbrook street and a Willowbrook Park right next to the housing project ("See the willow bowing" - Out With A Bang)

In July 2004 one of the men (K) involved in the shooting was convicted to murder charge (the articles don't say the amount of years but I guess 30 could be it) The jury split about the question of death penalty and the 'phase of the case should be retried'. (Not important but the other man involved had a different trial as he didn't confess)

A piece of information that is missing is when they decided to put him on death row because in 2009 a judge denied to reduce his death sentence that's all I could find.

K was 28/27 in 2004, so he does kinda fall into the older man type. I mean 10 years apart for an 18 year old is a lot imo.

Now, his name is the most mind-blowing piece of information: Kai Harris (as in fucking K, Kai, KAY..)

ITS JUST A THEORY THOUGH :hooker: 

PS: He's a lightskin black man ("golden skin" - several songs) with long dark hair (again) and a slender, muscular figure.

now i know why people here love this thread so much, those fucking theories are so good :hdu:

url%5D

On 7/23/2023 at 9:52 PM, Embach said:

I had always thought that this song is about her and Francesco living in LA (although they mainly lived in NYC) with her fame, sometimes I thought it's about her and Barrie, sometimes I thought it was about her Lizzy days or that cult Jim, sometimes I even thought it's about her relationship with LA city and living there, or even about her fame and fans. Well it's definitely about LA since she mentions Wilshire and Pico Boulevards there.

But now, when I listened to the song after a long time, I have a feeling that it's about a fictional character Lana really liked. But she doesn't seem to be that type who yearns over a fictional character...Although Art Deco and Swan Song were fictional songs.

Whom is this song about? I understand that this song is about her and troubled guy trying to stay in the "honeymoon phase". Right?

Btw this song is her best top 3 worthy ever!!!!!

asking this question (which has been in my mind for a long time) from the better thread - whom is Honeymoon title track about?

I still have a feeling that this song is fictional or some kind of dramatized

url%5D

13 minutes ago, Embach said:

asking this question (which has been in my mind for a long time) from the better thread - whom is Honeymoon title track about?

I still have a feeling that this song is fictional or some kind of dramatized

i think it's probably inspired by multiple men in her life but tbh i see it as a fictionalized song, and her wanting an opener that was really dramatic and set the tone for the record.

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

9 minutes ago, taco truck said:

i think it's probably inspired by multiple men in her life but tbh i see it as a fictionalized song, and her wanting an opener that was really dramatic and set the tone for the record.

Ty, honestly I think it's the right answer :true:

url%5D

I don't understand one thing about her life / career : she talks a loT about been a mistress, the other woman (even at the beginning of her career) but it doesn't seems that she was in this kind of relationship ever : what do you think about that ? do you think it's a fantasy ?