MaraDreea

Lana Del Rey Interview With D La Repubblica

Source: 

What do you see when you look at  the mirror? 

A really tired girl! When i am in tour the day start with the sound check at 4 pm and finish at 2 am, after my all dedication to the fans and the people that come in the backstage.

And when aren’t you tired?

I look at the mirror and and i say to myself: “I hope that today everything will be ok”. I hate have problems with my family and with my music, also for the little things like the acoustic during the concerts.

Are the million copies sold of Born To Die the scale of your success?

Personally i use two parameters. First, find a musical community to belong with. Second, know that the community respect me and my job. Unfortunately i have to say that musically i don’t find my “tribe” yet, find somebody to love and share a sense of comradeship. Maybe it’s a romantic inspiration but i think about Bob Dylan when in the 60s he arrived in the Greenwich Village and he found his group of folk music. I’ve tried that too when nine years ago i arrived in Brooklyn but i have to please me of a different version, more simple. I hoped to find people that want to base their life on art. Maybe i found those people in London where i lived for 4 years. And now for 7 months i live in Los Angeles, that’s my escape. I love swim, go to the beach everyday and drive along the coast listening to music.

What do you like to listening to? 

I really like the soundtracks of movies like American Beauty, Il Padrino, Scarface… But the grunge too, Mark Lanegan, Nirvana, and jazz: Chuck Baker, Nina Simone, Billie Holiday and then Bob Dylan and all the musicians of that period.

What is your first musical memory? 

When i was 15 or 16 they sent me to the Kent School for fight my alcohol addiction, it was a private school in Connecticut where i didn’t have a lot of friends but a really young teacher, Gene Campbell, told me about hip hop and the beauty of soundtracks.

That’s not for change argoument but do you ever smoking so much? You just lighted up another cigarette, is not bad for your voice? 

Maybe yes but it’s good for me. It relaxes me but i admit that i smoke,i smoke,i smoke. And i drink a lot of coffee. I have to smoke before,after and during the concerts. And also during the breaks with a cup of coffee.

You say that you’re shy, so how can you stay in front of 5 thousand people during your concerts? 

Get on the stage it’s the part that i like less of my job. I love write and make music but i don’t like all the things that comes after the realization, for promoting the album.

How do you react to the critics?

Not really well. If someone’s write something bad about me and i get to know it i become really disappointed but i try to not let them influence my creativity.

Where and when do you compose music? 

I am a nocturnal animal. I write at night, outside, with a lot of noise in the background that comes from the tv or the radio while i’m smoking and drinking coffee. It’s 4 years that i make music with the same group of people, except for Dan Auerbach that produced with me my last album, Ultraviolence.

Why is Ultraviolence the title of the album?

It’s different from Born To Die,which is about the years of my alcohol addiction, Ultraviolence doesn’t have a specific argoument ,the compactness is in the sounds,in the energy. It’s ambient music, the atmosphere mixes the sound of the California with the Jazz of the 60s.

What’s your favourite song of the album?

The first, Cruel World, which it gives the rythm to the album. The song has 25 seconds of guitar that i define “narco-swing”: it’s like being high. It’s like that for 7 song then the sound became more slow and then it grows up again for the last 20 minutes.

Can you be a down to earth person with this success?

It’s really important to me being a normal person. Anonymity and normality are essentials for my creativity. Fortunately  i grew up with strong roots in my family and when they are so deep it’s easy to harvest the fruits of own work. Also live with my brothers help me to be a down earth person.

Do you live with all your family in Los Angeles?

I’ve always have a central role in my family, also now that  i live with my sister,of 24, and my brother,of 20: Caroline is a yoga teacher, Charlie studies cinema at the UCLA. I’m doing everything that i can do for help them to follow their passions.

They say that Lana is an eccentric person but it seems that you have your head screwed on.

I define myself eccentric psychologically but in the interviews that is often misunderstended. Maybe because my life had a lot of transformations, more transitions. But i’m not provocative, i’m a conservative person, i use words for express myself. Even if i believe in different life-styles and in alternative relationships.

What is your reference in fact of epoch? 

In the middle of 60s and 70s when it grows up a new concept of freedom that it was so new to generate deep passions. A lot mor exciting than the freedoms that we have now.

So thanks for the long conversation, I was biased…

Everyone is before meeting me, I don’t know what to do. I can only try to talk sincerly and let my personality come out. I don’t want to inspire the other people. But i want to be a good person.

What does it mean for you?

A patient person with the people that she loves, generous and that is try to find the serenity.

Do you think that you made it?

I am a calm person but it’s been years that i don’t feel in peace. Maybe it’s because i don’t find my tribe yet.

(Sorry if there are some mistakes but i’m not english and i tried to translate everything in the best way that i can)

It's really unfortunate that she feels so lonesome all the time. I admit, that vibe is what drew me to her music in the first place, and I can relate. On the other hand, when she talks about it, that realization tends to manifest itself in the form of her shitting on her peers, which..Isn't great.

tZ7WN4B.gif

What is your first musical memory?

When i was 15 or 16 they sent me to the Kent School for fight my alcohol addiction, it was a private school in Connecticut where i didn’t have a lot of friends but a really young teacher, Gene Campbell, told me about hip hop and the beauty of soundtracks.

it's like she reads the LANALYSIS thread

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

http://d.repubblica.it/personaggi/2014/06/06/news/lana_del_rey_intervista_storia-2171270/ this is the interview.

Here's my translation (sorry it's not perfect, I tried to do my best) 

What do you see now when you look in the mirror? «A girl devastated by tiredness! On tour, days start at 4pm with the sound-check and they end at 2am after i spent time with the audience and the people that come to my room to say hi». 

So, when are you not tired? «I look in the mirror and I say: I hope today everything goes well. I hate having problems with my family and my music, and even the little things like the acoustic during the shows. 

Are the millions of records sold the measure of your succes? «I personally use two parameters. First, finding a music community that I belong to. Second, knowing that the community respect me and my work. Sadly, I must say that, musically, I still didn't find my tribe. I mean people who you really love and with whom you can share a sense of fellowship. Maybe mine it's a romantic aspiration, but then I think about Bob Dylan in the 60s, when he arrived at the Greenwich Village and found his community of rising folk music. 9 years ago, when I arrived in Brooklyn, I tried to do that too, but I had to be pleased with just a watered-down version of it. I hoped i could find people who wanted to make their life a work of art. Maybe I found that in London, where I lived for 4 years. And now it's 7 months I live in LA and it's my personal escape: i love swimming and going to the beach everyday. And drive along the coast, listening to music.

What kind of music do you like to listen? «I love movies soundtracks like American Beauty, The Godfather, Scarface... but also grunge music, Mark Lanegan, Nirvana and jazz: Chuck Baker, Nina Simone, Billie Holiday. Bob Dylan and all the musicians of that time.

Your first music memory? «I was 15 or 16 and to fight my alcohol dependace I was sent to Kent School, a boarding school in Connecticut where I did not have many friends. But there was a very young teacher, Gene Campbell, that made me discover hip hop and the beauty of the soundtracks.

I dont want to change topic, but do you always smoke that much? You just lit another cigarette: doesnt it hurt your voice? «Maybe, but it makes me feel good. I admit it: i smoke and smoke and smoke. I also drink a lot of coffee. When on tour I need a cigarette before, during and after the show. even during the break, with a cup of coffee.

You say you are shy, so how do you stand in front of 5 thousands people? «Being on stage it's my least favorite part of my job. I love writing and producing music, but not what comes after that, like the promotion of the album. 

How do you react to the critics? «Not well. If something negative about me was written and i got to know that, I feel really bad. But i always try to not let those critics compromise my creativity. 

Where and when do you write your music? «I'm an animal of the night. I write at night, outdoors, with lot of noise, the tv is on and the radio is playing. Smoking and drinking coffee. It's been 4 years that I create my music with the same group of people, except for Dan Auerbach, with whom I produced my last album Ultraviolence. 

Why that title? «It's a matter of musicality. Ultra is a sweet sound that contrast with the meaning of the next word. I relate to that: my essence is sweet but inside me there's also a  violent spirit who came out in the last 4 years.  

What is the main them? «Unlike BTD, focused on those 3 years of destructive alcoholism, UV doesnt have a central theme. It's more about the sounds, the energy of it. It's ambient music, 60s Jazz mixed with Cali sound.

What's your favorit song from it? «The first, Cruel World, that sets the tone of the whole record. There are 25 seconds of guitar that I call "narco-swing": you listen to them and you feel like on drugs. It's like that for 7 songs, then the rythm  slows and turns into ballads, and then it increases again during the last 20 minutes. 

With the success, is it hard to keep you feet on the ground? being a normal person is very important to me. Anonymity and stability are two essential elements to me. Luckly, I have my family and living with my brother and sister helps me to keep my feet on the ground. 

Do you live all together in LA? «I've always had a central role in my family, even now that I live with my 24yo sister and my 20yo brother: Caroline is trying to become a yoga teacher and Charlie studies cinema at UCLA. I try do my best to help them to pursue their passions.

They say LDR is an eccentric woman, the truth is you seem like a girl with a good head above your shoulders. «I call myself a psychologically eccentric, but in the interviews this is always misunterstood. Maybe because my life is filled with different incarnations and transitions. But Im not provocative: I'm a traditionalist and I use words to express myself. But I do believe in alternate lifestyles and relationships. 

Your favorite era? «Between the 60s and the 70s, when a new concept of freedom started spreading and created deep passions. Much more exciting than the freedom we have now.».

Thank you very much for the chat. I prejudiced you... Grazie per la lunga chiacchierata. Ero prevenuto... «Everybody do that, before meeting me. I can't do anything about it. I just let speak my personality. I don't want to inspire, but I do want to be a good person.

What does it mean to you? «A person who's patient and kind with the people that loves and that look for serenity.

You think you found it?  «I feel calm, but not in peace with myself. Maybe because i still didnt find my tribe.

let the light in, it's a cruel world

if lanas really that uncomfortable with touring and doing promo she could just do what Sia does and make money from writing songs for other artists so she can just release albums and not worry about how successful they are

if lanas really that uncomfortable with touring and doing promo she could just do what Sia does and make money from writing songs for other artists

I was kinda thinking the same thing. Why not just pull a Kate Bush and make amazing albums and no touring? It would suck for the fans, but I would rather have studio music only, than having her burn out and quit the business all together.

if lanas really that uncomfortable with touring and doing promo she could just do what Sia does and make money from writing songs for other artists so she can just release albums and not worry about how successful they are

I don't think she's complaining. she clearly loves her fans and she's the one who chooses to meet with everyone and sign everything. just because she acknowledges the fact that she is tired doesn't mean that she's whining, she's just stating a fact.

What's your favorit song from it? «The first, Cruel World, that sets the tone of the whole record. There are 25 seconds of guitar that I call "narco-swing": you listen to them and you feel like on drugs. It's like that for 7 songs, then the rythm  slows and turns into ballads, and then it increases again during the last 20 minutes.

Okay so

"Narco-swing" section:

1. Cruel World

2. Ultraviolence

3. Shades of Cool

4. Brooklyn Baby

5. West Coast

6. Sad Girl

7. Pretty When You Cry

But it gets tricky here. Maybe...

Ballads:

8. Money Power Glory

9. FMWUTTT

10. Old Money

11. The Other Woman

Speeding up:

All the bonus tracks?!?

Okay so

"Narco-swing" section:

1. Cruel World

2. Ultraviolence

3. Shades of Cool

4. Brooklyn Baby

5. West Coast

6. Sad Girl

7. Pretty When You Cry

Ballads:

8. Money Power Glory

9. FMWUTTT

10. Old Money

11. The Other Woman

Speeding up:

All the bonus tracks?!?

black beauty prob is not speed up lol 

Okay so

"Narco-swing" section:

1. Cruel World

2. Ultraviolence

3. Shades of Cool

4. Brooklyn Baby

5. West Coast

6. Sad Girl

7. Pretty When You Cry

Ballads:

8. Money Power Glory

9. FMWUTTT

10. Old Money

11. The Other Woman

Speeding up:

All the bonus tracks?!?

black beauty prob is not speed up lol 

Inb4 Black Beauty turns out to be a remix by Cedric Gervais  :oic:

I thought she said she wanted to be a touring artists? As in performing? In an interview that I don't really remember. I always thought she liked performing but just gets nervous.

:smokes: