lflflflflflflflflflf

Ultraviolence - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?  

1,051 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?

• Cruel World
    • Ultraviolence
    • Shades Of Cool
    • Brooklyn Baby
    • West Coast
    • Sad Girl
    • Pretty When You Cry
    • Money Power Glory
    • Fucked My Way Up To The Top
    • Old Money
    • The Other Woman
    • Black Beauty
    • Guns and Roses
    • Florida Kilos
    • Is This Happiness
    • Flipside

"Money, Power, Glory" even sounds like it's riffing on Lorde's "Glory and Gore," she is def. wielding daggers

M95h5bD.jpg

Lmao Lorde is so dumb, what is wrong with being a hopeless romantic and having a great love story??? Life's too short for mediocre love bye. (and that's before Lana dissed feminism)

I stayed up until 3am to listen to the album and I need more time to make my opinion on it but IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL OH MY GOD. Fave songs so far are Florida Kilos, Fucked My Way Up To The Top, Ultraviolence, Sad Girl but I love everything else a lot too.

tumblr_n7br4sLfZd1r6kg9io3_250.gif tumblr_n7br4sLfZd1r6kg9io4_250.gif

I love every song on the album (my hate for WC and SOC have subsided and I think they are great *album tracks)

For me the 1 2 punch started with MPG... I mean Wooooooo

j4Z8x3k.gif

She absolutely leave me breathless after the other women (this has to be her best vocal performance to date and it's one of my fav song from her ever.. An amazing amzing amazing cover) A PERFECT CLOSER of the alberm.

j4Z8x3k.gif

I don't use any of deluxe tracks.

And I think Florida kilos is WACK. And Guns and roses is her WORST song ever (a tuneless mess)... Surpassing Lolita with ease.

Based on her statements about FMWUTTT, I don't think it's about Lorde. And let's be honest, writing a diss track about a teen girl would be really poor of Lana. And I don't really see how the statements could relate to Gaga but hu nose tbh

kySyfQZ.jpg

And The other woman... Nina would NOT approve...

Why do you think she wouldn't approve? LDR non-jazz covers are mostly faithful (Chelsea Hotel, Blue Velvet, Summer Wine), as if absolute music in a repertoire. This being a cover of a Jazz type song, it could justifiably have a lot more Lana flourishes (I haven't listened to it overmuch, but more than the other non-single UV songs). I'm guessing you think LDR's version is too overblown in some way?

Is This Happiness sounds like it could be from Paradise too, but it's definitly going to fit UV

But I really wanna hear Flipside, for some reason the songtitel sounds like something more rock-y.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Is This Happiness sounds like it could be from Paradise too, but it's definitly going to fit UV

Have you not heard it yet? Scroll back a little in this thread & there will be a Soundcloud link. It doesn't fit the UV sound at all (at least in my opinion.)

He loves me with every beat of his cocaine heart.

Have you not heard it yet? Scroll back a little in this thread & there will be a Soundcloud link. It doesn't fit the UV sound at all (at least in my opinion.)

This is my statement based on hearing the song ;D

Yeah, it's a bit more Paradise than UV but I still don't think it doesnt fit the era.

I am sooooooo excited about Flipside, when will we get it?

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Why do you think she wouldn't approve? LDR non-jazz covers are mostly faithful (Chelsea Hotel, Blue Velvet, Summer Wine), as if absolute music in a repertoire. This being a cover of a Jazz type song, it could justifiably have a lot more Lana flourishes (I haven't listened to it overmuch, but more than the other non-single UV songs). I'm guessing you think LDR's version is too overblown in some way?

Overblown :toofunny:

I think that this cover is very weak and badly produced.

I can understand that she likes Nina and her songs, but let's be honest she can't deliver it at all...

Compare to Nina's voice she is flat and these "Aaaah Haaaa Ahhaaa" are so "trying hard"

Maybe if production was different BUT MAYBE, it could be better....but this...

tumblr_p0v8ex4Llk1raxa8qo1_540.jpg

I can understand that she likes Nina and her songs, but let's be honest she can't deliver it at all...

Compare to Nina's voice she is flat and these "Aaaah Haaaa Ahhaaa" are so "trying hard"

I never thought I was going to say this, but butterflies...I really have to agree to disagree with you here.

Her slight lyrical variations, the delivery and the production really changed how I listened to TOW in the same way that Jeff Buckley's version changed how I heard TOW compared to when I first heard it from Nina Simone. I'll admit it was hard getting into the swing of it after being hooked on NS forever and JB just recently, but I gave it as many listens as it took, and HERE I AM NOW, SWAYING THE FUCK OUT TO THE OTHER WOMAN. :crying:

Also, if you listen to Nina's TOW from Nina At Townhall, and the studio version in Let It All Out/Quiet Now, she's not exactly a sharp singer, either, especially the NAT version; I made the mistake of sleeping to it on repeat one night, and my brain was so over-stimulated during the REM stage of sleep that it analyzed and compartmentalized all the information coming in from the song, and when I woke up, I heard something completely fucking different that made the listening experience so uncomfortable until I left the song alone for a week. Still going back to that version in small doses.

But the point of the REM is that, one of the things I noticed about Nina's voice since then, was yes, Nina had a very deep and smoky voice and quite the timbre, but she had that flatness in some notes, too, which I'm not pointing out as a flaw, just an observation. I think Lana had the LIAO version in mind more than anything, which is extremely different than NAT in delivery.

But I have chronic TOW and Lana cover bias, so I'm not saying I should convince anyone who doesn't care for it.

Well the parts like 1:15 ... and 2:10 ... seem strong to me (youtube's my source). I agree the production might have been better, but I have to wait and see what the physical or spotify sound like. 

Thank you & Acknowledgements on the last page of the booklet  :excited:

Thank you Ben Mawson and Ed Millett for everything I have.

Thank you Lee Foster for giving me Electric Lady Studios and helping me make the beginning of the record and being my confidant.

Blake Stranathan - my trusted guitar player - you set the tone for the whole record with Cruel World and Pretty When You Cry.

My Friends At Polydor especially Ferdy Unger Hamilton, Liz Goodwin, and Semera Khan.

My Friends at Interscope - Jimmy Iovine, Larry Jackson, John Ehmann, Steve Berman, John Janick, Jurgen Grebner, Tom Land and Matt LaMotte.

Thank You to my friends at Universal Germany.

Neil Krug and Chuck Grant for changing the way I see things.

Thank you Dan Auerbach for bringing fire back into my life.

Thank You Jane Powers for being my Living Legend.

Cynthia - while i was doing this - i wished i could’ve been there with you.

:crying4:  :crying4:  :crying4:  :crying4:

Yeah, wasn't saying i agreed with that idea, but its a justification of where Taylor theories could be derived.

Although I am still on the side that the chorus is from Lana's perspective, in a non-literal, sarcastic way to scoff at the theories around her path to fame (addressing rumours that circulated in the SNL backlash - similar to how the song could be 'my daddy paid me to the top' to address the rob rumours etc.)

or the chorus could even be a conversational banter kind of deal?

"I fucked my way up to the top? [No] This is my show (i.e. I'm in control and got here by myself) I fucked my way up to the top? Go baby go (i.e. fuck off and go away)"

I've got more to add  :yesnod:

I think the whole song is a commentary about all the criticism she's received, and only the second verse relates to the ~elusive mimicker~  

The first verse: she's passed the test of both a long road to success and recognition, as well as the test of being critiqued - she made it out of that field of feeling so defeated she wouldn't write another record.

Pre-chorus: she's 'laying down' for further criticism anyone can throw at her, through also using a lil bit of self-satire in the use of her tried n tested lyrical and aesthetic cliches (linens & curls, rivieras, diamonds & pearls) that all the critics use to describe her in the condescending introductory paragraph of any hate article  :oopna: , then going in to the sarcastic gospel of the chorus  :oprah3:

also dicussion point: could there also be a double or alternative meaning in 'fucked my way up'? could she be sayin she fucked up on her way to the top?? discuss 

And the Guardian gives the first of many reviews misinterpreting the lyrics. At least it's a 4/5 that will go on MetaCritic.

LDRO said Consequence of Sound face a very positive review and it seems like the New York Times will also be positive, judging from the interview. Both of their reviews are uploaded onto MC as well.