Jared

Ultraviolence Reviews: 74 Metascore (DISCUSS REVIEWS ONLY)

Under the Radar added and it's still at 74...it was almost at 75 :(

To be added:

Absolute Punk-78

Mojo-60

New York Times-?

Q Magazine-?

Surprised that no one has commented on the Q Magazine review. The new edition is out.

I wonder if Jon Caramanica, the main NTY reviewer who bashed BTD, felt strange writing any UV review after such a positive profile by his colleague Jon Pareles went up the week before. Could be editorial politics. Anyway, no review = good review when it comes to him. I doubt it would be higher than a 50/60, unless he's totally reversed his views on her.

tumblr_n7qw5wUgXe1ts8ukho1_1280.jpg

I hope this shows properly for everybody - one of Melbourne Australia's two newspapers (The Herald-Sun) gave a great review, and you can see UV at #1 

Edit: For some reason, this might not be showing up for everyone. Try  http://walkingaboutblues.tumblr.com/image/89899388489

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

^^Everyone has something to say about the song "Ultraviolence." Lana knew exactly what she was doing when she used the phrase, "He hit me, but it felt like a  kiss." It is legendary at this point.

That is the type of review I enjoy, as it is succint but does well to cover much of its subject.

That is the type of review I enjoy, as it is succint but does well to cover much of its subject.

I agree - I was a little worried when I saw who the writer was, because he (?) used to only write electronic reviews, and hated anything with guitars or real instruments, but it seems he's gotten over this.

I can't really overstate how important and cool this review is for this city - this is pretty much the music review that people who like music but don't follow fansites will read, and a 4 star review placed next to it listed as #1 on the ARIA chart (our exact equivalent to Billboard) will make a lot of people curious.

Lana Del RAY tho.

It's the Herald-Sun (Murdoch press). I'm thankful they spelled 'Lana' correctly.

Also, this isn't really a review, more a discussion about the record, but William Bennett is one of my favourite artists/musicians who has been around in experimental/wild music since the late 1970's (http://www.allmusic.com/artist/whitehouse-mn0000820195) - the two are not 100% positive about UV and LDR, and they seem to get things about her that a lot of journalists just don't understand at all.

http://www.electronicbeats.net/en/features/conversations/william-bennett-and-lisa-blanning-on-lana-del-reys-ultraviolence/

It's the Herald-Sun (Murdoch press). I'm thankful they spelled 'Lana' correctly.

Also, this isn't really a review, more a discussion about the record, but William Bennett is one of my favourite artists/musicians who has been around in experimental/wild music since the late 1970's (http://www.allmusic.com/artist/whitehouse-mn0000820195) - the two are not 100% positive about UV and LDR, and they seem to get things about her that a lot of journalists just don't understand at all.

http://www.electronicbeats.net/en/features/conversations/william-bennett-and-lisa-blanning-on-lana-del-reys-ultraviolence/

He gets it.

"A lot has been said in reviews about all these dodgy men referred to in the songs and, barring the bonus tracks, I don’t feel the main tracks on Ultraviolence are really about these men. They’re much more a vehicle for her own responses or narcissism, which clearly is what interests her audience, and me."

"This song “Pretty When You Cry” from Ultraviolence, portraying a woman checking out the wreckage of a horrible face after or during crying is a powerful notion, and it’s something that you definitely wouldn’t expect in mainstream modern songs, these ideas of beauty in misery or tragedy."

"It’s remarkable how uncompromising the whole project is. And considering it’s selling these kinds of numbers, I think she’ll have quite a long successful career."

And I love Cut Hands!