Jared

Ultraviolence Reviews: 74 Metascore (DISCUSS REVIEWS ONLY)

It's the Herald-Sun (Murdoch press). I'm thankful they spelled 'Lana' correctly.

Also, this isn't really a review, more a discussion about the record, but William Bennett is one of my favourite artists/musicians who has been around in experimental/wild music since the late 1970's (http://www.allmusic.com/artist/whitehouse-mn0000820195) - the two are not 100% positive about UV and LDR, and they seem to get things about her that a lot of journalists just don't understand at all.

http://www.electronicbeats.net/en/features/conversations/william-bennett-and-lisa-blanning-on-lana-del-reys-ultraviolence/

Mess... THIS IS Exaclty how I feel about UV.

He took the words right of my mouth and said it better (the off key vocals, nasal, bad production, etc) compared to her previous release!!

But I've grown to love UV (obviously) instead comparing it to BTD OR Paradise.. I look at it as a separate project/album all together, so I can admire the album.

"I started exploring some of the early work, in particular the unreleased set of songs from 2005 recorded as May Jailer, and then she used her own name, Lizzie Grant. It’s interesting because I think people might say, “Oh, she would never have become famous if she’d been ordinary Lizzie Grant,” but I disagree with that. It would have just projected a completely different persona." - William Bennett

The most intelligent, well-written thing I've read about her (very smart) name change. Finally someone who gets it!

Well, this is...different. (I guess someone is viewing her work through philosophy after all, ha.)

Lana Del Rey’s Deadly Religion of Self

"Lana Del Rey’s death fantasies indicate the spread of ego-centric secular humanism."

I wouldn't call it philosophy - just the usual moralistic garbage from the religious right. I'd file it next to the 'Lana is a brainwashed puppet of the Illuminati' videos.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

It's always interesting to me when artists review other artists, so there's this place call thetalkhouse.com where that happens in an unpredictable and unsolicited way (I guess). So here's a review of Ultraviolence by the lead singer of White Lung. All in all not a terrible review, but LDR divides, and people often have different and widely ranging opinions on specific songs (even on LB). So she talks about her ups and downs with LDR and UV. I think the artist-review-artist idea balances things out, as they already have musical pundits review artists (with what kind of credentials, really?), and general public reviews of artists (e.g. Amazon).

At the same place Lou Reed did a review of Yeezus (highly positive). St. Vincent did a quirky (positive) review of Reflektor. To my knowledge BTD was not reviewed there, but Sadie Dupuis reviewed the Tropico video (negatively, though she may have liked the songs). 

I thought it was worth updating this thread to what will probably be close to the final score (I can't imagine too many other journals putting out reviews now, a month and a half after release). The Metascore is 75 (31 reviews), but more interesting is the breakdown: 22 positive, 8 mixed, and only 1 negative.

That's a pretty strong showing - I checked the highest scores this year, and aside from classic re-releases, the only records other than Roseanne Cash and St Vincent to get higher than 86, were only reviewed by very few (up to 10) reviewers. Combined with hitting #1 in so many countries, Lana can be proud of what she's achieved.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png