FormerLanaFan

Lana discusses the Guardian controversy, Frances Bean, & Barrie in Aftonbladet interview

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/musik/rockbjornen/article19123254.ab

She puts her cigarette out, just little bit too hard.

– Yes, sometimes I fucking wish I was dead, but I don't glamorize death or people killing themselves.

•  
  •  

markuslana.jpg  Markus Larsson and Lana Del Rey.

Lana Del Ray excuses herself, gets up and starts fiddling with the espresso machine in her hotel suite.

– Sorry, I can't do interviews without my coffee. Keep talking. I'm listening.

I've always wondered, why did you create the persona Lana Del Ray?

– Well, it's not a persona. It's a different name. I've always thought that the way you're kind of born into a name, a geographic location, a family makes it hard to choose for yourself who you want to be. By having a different name I felt more free to be exactly who I am. People seem to think sometimes that I am somebody on stage and then you get off and you're another person, but I have a more alternative way of thinking.

I thought it was some kind of art project, like a Ziggy Stardust character?

– Yeah, people think that but actually for me it was just a different name. It has made it easier for me to express a very clear aesthetic that I love.

So what was the inspiration for your aesthetic?

– All things dark and beautiful. Everything I love, everything I've been through, everything I've wanted to do. My history and my songs.

You seem rather interested in the beauty of darkness and despair.

– I've had despair and grief in my life. In the past four years journalists have always asked me about death, icons and my persona. My own depressions and experiences has gotten miscommunicated as this need to be dark. Actually it's not my preferred way of being. I love when things go really well. Anyone who knows me knows this.

But what about the interview in The Guardian…

– I'm not fucking happy about the interview, to start with.

Well, I know that, and you've made that clear on Twitter. But what did you mean when you said ”I wish I was dead already”?

– Well, first of all… the questions… Sometimes I do feel like I wish I was dead. I've been through a lot. And yes, sometimes I feel like I fucking wish I was dead. But The Guardian made it sound like I was obsessed with dying because it's glamourous. Me being depressed sometimes has nothing to do with other people wanting to kill themselves.

It must have been surreal when the daughter of your idol Kurt Cobain, Frances Bean Cobain, critcised you on Twitter?

– She was saying to me ”don't glamorize death” and I wrote back, and I never write to anyone, but I wrote back and said I didn't glamorize death. I don't even sing about death, except on the title track on ”Born to die”. I sing about relationships. The fact that the headline in The Guardian affected people that way feels unfair. That's the problem with the article.

You're computer got hacked a couple of years ago and 211 songs got stolen among other things.

– Yeah, someone remotely accessed my hard drive when I was staying in a hotel. The songs are one of a thousand things that was stolen.

I would have been devastated.

– Yeah, the fact that someone is watching you. Knowing that you never gonna have the luxury of discretion. These type of crimes won't ever stop.

Isn't there some legal action you can take, sue someone?

– Even if he people that started it got caught, they gave it to 40 other people, so the information is still out there.

Your life is always turned into headlines Like the recent rumours about your recent relationship. It was said you had broken up, but now I heard that your boyfriend Barrien-James O'Neill told TMZ that it's complete bullshit.

– I mean… I… I didn't use to talk publicly about my relationships. Because things change all the time. But after not seeing him for several months and people still asking me about him I just said no we're not together right now. And when he got to Los Angeles today and he ran into TMZ I don't think he knew what to say. Sometimes it's not real until you're faced with a camera and somebody asking you.

Ok, it all seems a bit confused. Well, about the music…

– It's ok. I get it.

Back to the music. So… are you together?

– Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. (Lana basically rolls over laughing out loud)

– Oh my god, that's so funny.

I'm sorry, I'm just joking. Why do you mention The Crystal's controversial song ”He hit me (and it felt like a kiss)” in the title track on your new album?

– I know that people have different opinions about that song. And they're entitled to. I always use autobiographical elements. Mixed with anything I can use as an innuendo instead of saying something super directly. For me the writing comes first. I never felt the need to edit myself.

Hmm. What are you actually saying? That you have been in abusive relationships?

– It's a good question. I have trouble talking about that song, I didn't think I would. I don't know what to say.

Why did you choose to cover ”The other woman”?

– Firstly it's a jazz song, covered by Nina Simone, she's my favourite. I feel like ”Ultraviolence” has a jazzy feel to it, shades of blue, shades of cool. I'm a huge jazz fan. Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, the singers, you know.

What have you stolen from them, as a song writer?

To start with I was just a fan. But I realized early on that I had an inclination to sing songs in a minor key with a touch of a blue note. They are my influences. Alongside The Eagles and The Beach Boys.

Beautiful music with a dark heart.

Yeah, ”Dark heart”. That's the follow up album. (Laughs).

My own depressions and experiences has gotten miscommunicated as this need to be dark. Actually it's not my preferred way of being. I love when things go really well. Anyone who knows me knows this.

Reminds me of her past comments that she just wants things to be easy and people to like her and be nice to her, she doesn't care why.

But The Guardian made it sound like I was obsessed with dying because it's glamourous.

No, Lana, your own words and images-- your lyrics, videos, photoshoots, past interviews, and the answers you gave The Guardian-- give this impression, intentionally or not.

I don't even sing about death, except on the title track on ”Born to die”.

:uh: Have you listened to any of your music? Lana Del Rey, casual Lana fan.

I mean… I… I didn't use to talk publicly about my relationships. Because things change all the time. But after not seeing him for several months and people still asking me about him I just said no we're not together right now. And when he got to Los Angeles today and he ran into TMZ I don't think he knew what to say. Sometimes it's not real until you're faced with a camera and somebody asking you.

:rip: Barrie

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

My thoughts exactly! In Dark Paradise she literally sings "I wish I was dead"....

My thoughts exactly! In Dark Paradise she literally sings "I wish I was dead"....

I AM MY ONLY GOD

I mean… I… I didn't use to talk publicly about my relationships. Because things change all the time. But after not seeing him for several months and people still asking me about him I just said no we're not together right now. And when he got to Los Angeles today and he ran into TMZ I don't think he knew what to say. Sometimes it's not real until you're faced with a camera and somebody asking you.

Well this is awkward... :awkney2:

"You don't wanna break me down
You don't wanna say goodbye and
You don't wanna turn around

You don't wanna make me cry but
You caught me once
​Maybe on the flipside I could catch you again
You caught me once
​Maybe on the flipside you could catch me again"

Yeah Barrie

Barrie is so embarrassing.  U need to

tumblr_n1zi5rWB2V1r7b6cio1_500.gif

the fact that he even said "We're not done" as if it was an atual fact is so creepy and beyond delusional. Get a grip dude. Anyway this interview is probably my fave from 2014 so far, the journalist did his homework the questions are really good and relevant/new.

Hmm. What are you actually saying? That you have been in abusive relationships?

– It's a good question. I have trouble talking about that song, I didn't think I would. I don't know what to say.

eek....... :tsk:

also yess to the leak related questions lmao I don't think anyone has ever asked her how people got ahold of it before so I'm glad to see she seems to know what the fuck is up with that and the whole circulating leaks bizness

also yess to the leak related questions lmao I don't think anyone has ever asked her how people got ahold of it before so I'm glad to see she seems to know what the fuck is up with that and the whole circulating leaks bizness

I think she has been asked about it before (especially after the demo of BB 'leaked') and she gave a similar response.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

So now that the whole 'I want to die' thing has been discussed, although her statement about not promoting it is bs, can everybody drop it cause I'm sure we're all tired of hearing about it.

Also, Barrie :wtf:  

tumblr_inline_n72ktprYsx1sehw87.png

Am I the only one who thinks there are 50% of chance that Lana is manipulating the press?  After learning that a backlash can raise you up, can all this mess be  part of the UV campaign?

Is Lana that smart?  Is Lana just a victim of circunstance with the Guardian or just a girl a little too obsessed  with death and the dead? She seems in control this time doesn't she?

Do it to me once shame on you, do it twice shame on me kind of thing. Lana 1 X Press 0

glgcDdT.gif

So now that the whole 'I want to die' thing has been discussed, although her statement about not promoting it is bs, can everybody drop it cause I'm sure we're all tired of hearing about it.

The point of a discussion forum is discussion. If you don't like hearing about a subject, don't read posts about it. Or perhaps try to shift the conversation by engaging people on another topic.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

The point of a discussion forum is discussion. If you don't like hearing about a subject, don't read posts about it. Or perhaps try to shift the conversation by engaging people on another topic.

Bite them newbies @ Evil, just like Suárez would do

glgcDdT.gif

I'm sorry I didn't mean it like that, I mean't it in the way that interviewers and such keep talking about it and spinning the words and people on twitter starting drama over it, not us talking about it on here, I should have said it a different way. 

tumblr_inline_n72ktprYsx1sehw87.png

I love how irritated she sounded at the beginning of the interview :lmao:

Also, we always complain about the Interviewer's questions, but when they ask good question, all Lana does is say "Oh. that's a good question but idk" like, what

:smokes: