Trash Magic

Lana covers L'uomo Vogue music issue + Video!

I was hoping the filter look was just because they were scans/photos of the magazine, but the person who originally posted these posted the Nicki Minaj ones from the same music edition and they didn't look like this at all. They were much cleaner and crisp. 

I was going to contact them but their askbox is off. 

tumblr_n90y9oYmu41qzj1pro1_500.gif

here's a partial translation...

In her right forearm she has Nabokov's and Whitman's names tattooed, an homage to the writers who, together with Allen Ginsberg and other Beat Generation poets, are her source of inspiration, not to mention the reason why she decided to become a singer.

"Poets like Ginsberg tell stories using words as if they were paint, combining them to create extraordinary paintings. That's why, when I sensed the possibility of obtaining a similar result through this career, I devoted my body and soul to music, using words and poetry to tell my story and create my own personal painting."

From the terrace of Château Marmont, Lana Del Rey - artistic name of Elizabeth Woolridge Grant, class of 1985, auburn hair, fiery red plump lips, elegant LA-Mexican ‘vintage beauty pageant’- style features - talks about herself in an unexpected mix of hilarity and depth."

“If there’s a center of Hollywood, then it has to be Château Marmont. It’s an important place to me, and it has influenced the aesthetic of so many of my videos. Destruction, hope, dreams, elegance, opulence: it has everything.”

She continues by talking about her last album, Ultraviolence, a title borrowed from Anthony Burgess, the author of the famous book ‘A Clockwork Orange’ from which spun Kubrick’s cult film. “I always knew I’d write an album called Ultraviolence, because I was interested in the concept of ultraviolence, a far too current theme. My encounter with Dan Auerbach (who produced the album) was yet another incitement. The mere fact that he was interested in my work motivated me to start composing. At that point I called my friend Lee Foster – owner of the Electric Lady Studios in New York – and booked 4 weeks of recording time. I started producing alone, with my band’s drummer and guitarist. Then I randomly met Dan in a club and he convinced me to go with him to Nashville, where we recorded with a 7-instrument band from Brooklyn.”

i thought those were scans at first

So did I. I kinda like the filters its just they are a bit too strong.

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

last half of the translation :

“It was a truly incredible experience; the band’s energy was fundamental to my creative process. For the first time I was singing live, backed up by the band; it was a very spontaneous and natural process, different from all my previous experiences”.

Ultraviolence is a collection of autobiographical songs in which Lana explores the theme of ‘toxic’ relationships in which the woman is often too sentimentally involved to fully grasp the physical and emotional abuse she endures from her partner.

“To me every album is a different experience with a unique narrative. Sometimes the songs come across through the melody, sometimes through a certain atmosphere. All my albums have a unique genesis and process. To find inspiration I often put myself behind the wheel of my car and speed towards Los Angeles, preferably in the evening when there’s no more traffic. One of my favorite roads is Sunset Boulevard, an asphalt serpentine that follows the exact same pathway of the livestock in the late 1700’s, from Downtown’s Pueblo to the Pacific Ocean. A unique, fascinating road rendered magical and surreal by the scent of pine, oleander, hibiscus and eucalyptus. In Ultraviolence I wanted to focus more on the technical aspect of music and explore my interest in composition.”

The album starts with a song titled ‘Cruel World’, which has a 25 second guitar interlude that immediately sets the tone of the album. It’s the beginning of the journey, a trip down memory lane that brings us from West to East coast. Track 4 is indeed ‘Brooklyn Baby’, while the last one is a Nina Simone jazz cover, a separate story.

“In this album the order of the songs is very important, and the fact that I chose to close it with ‘The Other Woman’ gives me the possibility to tell my story the way I want to, creating connections between each track and combining them with different images and feelings.”

Amongst her musical passions, two are the most important: film soundtracks and Nirvana. “I’m a fan of Nino Rota, Samuel Barber, Thomas Newman and Giorgio Moroder, who became a dear friend of mine and with whom I hope to collaborate in my next record. The first time I listened to Kurt Cobain I was 11. He was the most beautiful man I’d ever seen and even though I was a kid I physically ‘felt’ his extreme sadness. As the metaphysical philosopher Josiah Royce used to say, “without the roots you can’t have any fruit”, and Kurt has truly planted a seed in my heart.”

With her songs Lana wants to be a source of reflection for new generations. “I want to be able to convey a positive message. In these last few years, through following my dreams and trying to accomplish my passions, I learned two things: that one should never surrender and that when we face hardship doing the things we love we become happier and surer of ourselves.”