Sign in to follow this  
ilovetati

Lana's Origins and "Authenticity"

This is a work in progress, but I wanted to start a topic that encompassed the much discussed debate over Lana's authenticity by weaving in a timeline of her life and career as well as old interviews of Lizzy Grant and David Kahne, her first producer, pictures, and performance videos. I plan on adding much more to this, but wrote a brief timeline to start from.

---

Elizabeth "Lizzy" Woolridge Grant was born on June 21, 1985 in New York City. Her father, Rob, was a copywriter at the very successful Grey Group, while her mother was an executive accountant at the same company. Her parents relocated to Lake Placid while she and her two siblings were quite young, and her father slowly transitioned into entrepreneurship via domain investment and independent marketing.  Lizzy began singing as a child as the cantor of her church choir while attending Catholic elementary school.

At the age of 14-15, Lizzy was sent to Kent Boarding School in Connecticut to deal with her alcohol dependence and remained there until age 18, when she took a gap year off and stayed with her aunt and uncle in Long Island, NY and worked as waitress. During this period, her uncle taught her the basics of playing guitar. The following year, she enrolled in Fordham University, located in the Bronx, to study metaphysics and volunteered rebuilding homes outside of school. She began playing open mics at various nightclubs in Brooklyn, performing acoustic versions of songs she had written and recorded independently, some of which would reappear on future releases. In 2006, at her performance at the Williamsburg Live Songwriting Competition (video of the performance and interview here: 

), Lizzy was noticed by Van Wilson, a rep for 5 Points Records. In 2007, at the age of 22, Lizzy signed with 5 Points and began recording with producer David Kahne. (See interview with David about signing Lizzy here: http://www.mtvhive.com/2012/01/30/lana-del-rey-first-album-5-points-records-interview/). After receiving $10,000 from the contract, Lizzy moved into Manhattan Mobile Home Park in New Jersey, while retaining a residence with her sister in NY. Video from her interview with Index Magazine at the trailer park: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZI5iaCyL6E359px-Tumblr_nc64pwPiGH1rq171wo1_500.png

Lizzy and David released the Kill Kill EP in 2008, but her first studio album was shelved, resulting in a shift of interest to charity work. "Homeless outreach, drug, and alcohol rehabilitation—that's been my life for the past five years," she told Vogue UK in 2012. She chooses the stage name "Lana Del Rey" for herself after a "series of managers and lawyers" suggest that she pick a new name to better represent the dark, cinematic music that she was making. (http://www.repeatfanzine.co.uk/interviews/LanaDelRey.htm)

Two years later, her debut studio album, Lana Del Ray, produced by Kahne, was digitally released. Her father assisted with the album's marketing. The album was withdrawn shortly thereafter and, three months after the album's release, Lana met her current managers, Ben Mawson and Ed Millet, who encouraged her to distance herself from 5 Points because her progress had stagnated. Shortly afterwards, Lana relocated to London to be closer to her management and lives with Mawson for a couple of years. During this time period, she appears on MTV singing "Chet Baker" with Mando Diao (

). Lana begins directing homemade music videos for demos of new songs and uploads them to the Internet. After her video for "Video Games" goes viral and attracts attention, she is signed to Polydor/Interscope/Stranger Records in 2011. Prior to her debut album's release, Lana secures spot on SNL but struggles due to stage fright, a recurring theme in performances and early interviews. Born to Die is released in January of 2012 to polarizing reviews, but becomes a commercial success and catapults Lana to the popular music stratosphere. 

This is very good, but I think that one important line is based on a misreading (that many others have also misread), not helped by the awkward way that Lizzy put it.

The statement in the interview is:

I wanted to be a band but the label I was with and the team I had around me absolutely wanted me to be a solo artist. Lana Del Rey came from a series of managers and lawyers over the last 5 years who wanted a name that they thought better fit the sound of the music. 

It's usually read as the lawyers and managers putting their heads together and coming up with the name 'Lana Del Rey', as though they were coming up with the name 'Coca Cola'. What she clearly meant (in my opinion) was that everybody she was dealing with thought her real name was not 'showbiz' enough (or 'Hollywood Sadcore' enough, or whatever), and she moved through all the names we know about - May Jailer, ...  - until she came up with 'Lana Del Rey'. It doesn't make sense that a bunch of people were needed to come up with the name, as such, and it's a major point, because for some reason, Americans seem to have a talismanic belief in the power of names - that the person who named a product deserves most of the credit for its success. 

This is one of the two most damaging myths about Lana's origins - the other is that Rob 'bought her career', as though the worldwide music industry is a high school beauty pageant, that can be bought off by one rich father, instead of an international, multi billion dollar collection of corporations, where Rob's wealth would be laughed at.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

longtimeman, on 13 Oct 2014 - 04:11 AM, said:

longtimeman, on 13 Oct 2014 - 04:11 AM, said:

This is very good, but I think that one important line is based on a misreading (that many others have also misread), not helped by the awkward way that Lizzy put it.

The statement in the interview is:

It's usually read as the lawyers and managers putting their heads together and coming up with the name 'Lana Del Rey', as though they were coming up with the name 'Coca Cola'. What she clearly meant (in my opinion) was that everybody she was dealing with thought her real name was not 'showbiz' enough (or 'Hollywood Sadcore' enough, or whatever), and she moved through all the names we know about - May Jailer, ... - until she came up with 'Lana Del Rey'. It doesn't make sense that a bunch of people were needed to come up with the name, as such, and it's a major point, because for some reason, Americans seem to have a talismanic belief in the power of names - that the person who named a product deserves most of the credit for its success.

This is one of the two most damaging myths about Lana's origins - the other is that Rob 'bought her career', as though the worldwide music industry is a high school beauty pageant, that can be bought off by one rich father, instead of an international, multi billion dollar collection of corporations, where Rob's wealth would be laughed at.

Yeah, that is the quote that I have been struggling with the most because of the intentions behind it as well as the talismanic belief you referred to. She has also said that she chose the name because she, "wanted a name I could shape the music towards [...] I was going to Miami quite a lot at the time, speaking a lot of Spanish with my friends from Cuba. Lana Del Rey reminded us of the glamour of the seaside. It sounded gorgeous coming off the tip of the tongue. I have edited the line in the OP. However, this is not too much of a significant factor, in my opinion. Artists that she admires greatly, such as Bob Dylan, Billie Holiday, and Nina Simone, changed their names as well.

Agree wholeheartedly with your second point as well. I keep seeing Rob mistakenly referred to as a "billionaire" on blogs attempting to discredit Lana, so I addressed his employment history quite heavily.

---

I'm also planning on discussing how her lyrics are often misinterpreted. For example, National Anthem was controversial for being hedonistic when it was written as a criticism of excess. Lana's sardonic tone and tongue-in-cheek lines are often mistaken for sincerity, perhaps because of their deadpan delivery, and then used against her.

I added a few videos, but it made the OP look pretty messy. I can clean it up later as I add more info/media.

Also, looking forward to input from everyone else here! I know this fan-base is full of sleuths, so this could be the start of a very interesting biography. :P

Right, @@ilovetati - I know we're on the same page. The name is important not only because of the idea of who came up with it, but there is also a perception (not wrong, of course) that there are times when the music industry has created a 'character' (or 'group') and then auditioned people to fill that role. The idea that a 'team of managers and lawyers' came up with the name LDR puts the idea in a lot of people's minds that there was this 'character' of Lana Del Rey created, and Lizzy just happened to be the prettiest girl who turned up to try out for it. There is definitely a sexist idea behind this as well - you would be amazed (or maybe not) at how many people just don't believe a woman who sings can possibly be writing her own songs - that there must be a man standing behind her in the shadows, pulling the strings and writing the words. 

Whatever confusion has deliberately or accidentally been created by Lana's own 'mystery building' over the years, one thing that anybody can prove by going back through all of her recordings (back to 'Sirens') is that she's the one behind her lyrics and vocal lines, and her voice is what it is. The problem of artistic 'persona' is a much bigger one, and I wish there wasn't so much confusion around it. Sure, Robert Zimmerman was taking on a persona by calling himself 'Bob Dylan', and Declan McManus was taking one on by changing his name to 'Elvis Costello', but 'Tori Amos' and 'John Lennon' are/were also artistic personas, as well as real people. That's what Lana means when she says there's no difference between 'Lana' and 'Lizzy'.

Right, @@ilovetati - I know we're on the same page. The name is important not only because of the idea of who came up with it, but there is also a perception (not wrong, of course) that there are times when the music industry has created a 'character' (or 'group') and then auditioned people to fill that role. The idea that a 'team of managers and lawyers' came up with the name LDR puts the idea in a lot of people's minds that there was this 'character' of Lana Del Rey created, and Lizzy just happened to be the prettiest girl who turned up to try out for it. There is definitely a sexist idea behind this as well - you would be amazed (or maybe not) at how many people just don't believe a woman who sings can possibly be writing her own songs - that there must be a man standing behind her in the shadows, pulling the strings and writing the words. 

Whatever confusion has deliberately or accidentally been created by Lana's own 'mystery building' over the years, one thing that anybody can prove by going back through all of her recordings (back to 'Sirens') is that she's the one behind her lyrics and vocal lines, and her voice is what it is. The problem of artistic 'persona' is a much bigger one, and I wish there wasn't so much confusion around it. Sure, Robert Zimmerman was taking on a persona by calling himself 'Bob Dylan', and Declan McManus was taking one on by changing his name to 'Elvis Costello', but 'Tori Amos' and 'John Lennon' are/were also artistic personas, as well as real people. That's what Lana means when she says there's no difference between 'Lana' and 'Lizzy'.

Well said. To add to this, every producer she has worked with has commented on her independence in the pre-production writing process. It's also made quite apparent by the perpetually-present lyrical motifs and themes in her work. The misconception that her LDR persona was her first experimentation with "dark" and "cinematic" themes has been particularly stigmatizing in this regard.

This is great stuff!!

I would also like to suggest including, somewhere before the mention of "Video Games," what Lana has said in early interviews about having lowered her voice so that people would take her more seriously.

LOVING this so far! :heart:

Isn't there an interview somewhere where she talks about the May Jailer stuff (albeit briefly)? Can't quite remember if it's true or not, but I'm sure it must've come up at some point...

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

Lana relocated to London to be closer to her management and lives with Mawson for a couple of years. During this time period, she appears on MTV singing "Chet Baker" with Mando Diao (

). Lana begins directing homemade music videos for demos of new songs and uploads them to the Internet. 

Wow I did not know this, is there anymore to the story about her moving to London and what she did there?

qsVmBMd.png

Wow I did not know this, is there anymore to the story about her moving to London and what she did there?

I think she moved because her management was based in London and so that she could work with big name producers who were mainly located there as well.

VyIsfwC.jpg

Yes, she lived in London for, I believe, about 2 years.  Much of "Born To Die" and some of "Paradise" was recorded and/or produced there, too.  If you have the album insert, you'll see several references to various studios in London.

Also, when she won her second Brit award in 2013, in her (short) acceptance speech, she said "I live here, and I wrote my record here..."  I don't know if she's referring to "Born To Die" or "Paradise," or perhaps both (when her name was announced, they played a snippet of "Ride," which is, of course, off of "Paradise").  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVEDFKsagBs

I also saw a video of Lana with fans in Mexico, and for the first time, I heard her bodyguard speak.  Guess what?  He's British!  She probably met him there.

I think she moved because her management was based in London and so that she could work with big name producers who were mainly located there as well.

Which brings up an interesting point. It's always been said that the viral version of VIdeo Games (featuring the finished audio product) is what attracted attention from major labels, but she had already moved to London with her managers to attract the attention of major producers/labels. The timeline of this is a bit fuzzy.

---

I also want to address her history with alcohol dependence and sobriety a bit more, but there is very little known about it beyond the same boarding school story we have heard repeatedly. There are also pictures of Lizzy post-"sobriety" drinking from wine glasses at domain parties, so who knows the true story? I'm also sober, but I drink Red Bull or tonic water from glasses when I'm downtown with friends or at large parties. Maybe she did the same thing.

Which brings up an interesting point. It's always been said that the viral version of VIdeo Games (featuring the finished audio product) is what attracted attention from major labels, but she had already moved to London with her managers to attract the attention of major producers/labels. The timeline of this is a bit fuzzy.

I thought it was already ~accepted that she was signed, or at least in talks with Interscope before Video Games? Whew

VyIsfwC.jpg

I thought it was already ~accepted that she was signed, or at least in talks with Interscope before Video Games? Whew

Yeah she was already w Universal on March 2011 and Video Games came out in May I think?

Where are you thinking of posting this? I think it's a very interesting read and much needed as a lot of listeners may not know her origins outside of what hipster runoff wrote in the early days.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

The addiction issue is a very tricky one, because without hard information, all we have is gossip and speculation, so you can either accept what she says, or it's probably best to sidestep going too deeply into it at all. Making guesses based on photos or hearsay is not helpful. There are a couple of interviewers who themselves are sober who I would love to hear speak with Lana about her experience (One of them, Anna David of AfterPartyPod just did a great interview with Moby about his experiences http://afterpartychat.com/afterpartypod-moby/ ) - until then, it's probably best to stick to the accepted story.

I also want to address her history with alcohol dependence and sobriety a bit more, but there is very little known about it beyond the same boarding school story we have heard repeatedly. There are also pictures of Lizzy post-"sobriety" drinking from wine glasses at domain parties, so who knows the true story? I'm also sober, but I drink Red Bull or tonic water from glasses when I'm downtown with friends or at large parties. Maybe she did the same thing.

I think this thread is so important to have and I can't wait to see it grow. There are so many muscinseptions about Lana and her rise to fame hopefully new fans will see this first..

Ciggeretes and RoboTusin will i ever get to Heaven