Honeymooner

Hearing the feeling/emotion in Lana's songs

I'm on a roll tonight with the new topics, LOL.

In listening to Lana's songs, there are some where you can really hear the feeling/emotion in her voice. I'm curious as to what songs you've noticed that with. There are the ones where I hear it the most:

Born To Die

Lucky Ones

Ride

Young and Beautiful

Old Money

I really feel the "estranged romantic interest" feels in Tv in Black and White, such an emotional song...the devotion really can be felt in that song.

Also, in Bad Disease as she sings: Will no one help me please, not even you....she sounds really desperate, it's touching in a sad way

Many people mention the smile in Lana's voice on Old Money, but I just can't notice that, like I don't really hear anything different :sadcore:

Many people mention the smile in Lana's voice on Old Money, but I just can't notice that, like I don't really hear anything different :sadcore:

It's more noticeable when she pronounces the word 'glamour', it's like her voice turns softer and sweeter... It's very hard to explain

ZmJh1LG.jpg

PWYC. That's why she took the first recording of it.

The first verse of Florida Kilos also has her voice sounding kind of cracked, which kind of delievers a very emotional feeling (even though the rest of the song is quite upbeat)

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

There are live version of 'Blue Jeans' where she sings the word 'bitches' with such a weird, real feeling, I feel like I've walked into a private conversation.

She gets across all of the different emotions behind Cruel World perfectly as well. 

I also love the moments in Off To The Races ("You are my one true love") and National Anthem ("Keep me safe ...") where she switches from the party girl to someone who knows how much she needs from this man, and how much importance she is placing on their relationship (also Video Games' "And now you do...")

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

TIWMUG full of emotion (maybe so much so she can't sing in concert?)

Velvet Crowbar - all of it

Noir - the anger tho  :scream:

Ride - all  :justride2:  :justride:

Pawn Shop Blues <3

Elvis

American

Carmen - particularly the chorus

Gods & Monsters - the verses 

Gramma

Summertime Sadness ('Nothing scares me anymore'  :suicide: )

Y&B ('The way you play for me at your show'  :rock:  :thankyou: )

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.

I love how in Velvet Crowbar and TOSTB you can literally hear the frustration in her voice. Also, Pawn Shop Blues is just so emotional in every single version. You can hear the sadness and hopelessness in her tone. I feel like that's the case for a lot of AKA songs.

I really like how you can always tell when she was smiling while she was singing. She's just really good at putting emotion into songs in general.

I can hear her smile (if that makes any sense) when she sings the line about her mother in Old Money :flutter:

I was listening to "American" on the way home today, and in that song, you can hear that same smile when she gets to the line, in the second verse, "Honey put on that party dress." Specifically, the last 2 words. When a person smiles while they're singing, you can hear a change in their tone, and I'm sure that's what we're hearing both at that point and in "Old Money," at the point you were referring to.