ilovetati

Honeymoon - Pre-Release and Discussion Thread

yeah David lynch pleaseeee...he should definitely be involved in some way

he said he likes Lana :D make it happen...

they would create the fully produced, dark "Betty boop boop" song probably

It'd be rad :suicide:

I stop posting on the like 60th page(im just guessing) expecting some info to pop up bout time I came back. I was sadly mistaken.. :/ 

But even if she decided to go bluesy I hope her idea is more Indie rock than anything. Because let's be real Lana doesnt have the voice for super old school blues.(plus what does she has--nevermind)

But I just want some news!!!! Lana needs to give us some music.

I stop posting on the like 60th page(im just guessing) expecting some info to pop up bout time I came back. I was sadly mistaken.. :/ 

But even if she decided to go bluesy I hope her idea is more Indie rock than anything. Because let's be real Lana doesnt have the voice for super old school blues.(plus what does she has--nevermind)

But I just want some news!!!! Lana needs to give us some music.

Lana definitely has the voice for old school blues. Her range is over 3 octaves and has that jazzy tone.

She holds high notes effortlessly and she has belted low ones on numerous occasions. Cruel World live, HSB live, etc.

I love you dear, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Lana has a good voice, nobody doubts that. But for a jazz or blues singer it's simply not strong enough.

That is also the reason why I fear her cover of Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood. The way how Nina sings it, it's just way out of Lana's league.

I can freely admit this while loving my girl.

I love you dear, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Lana has a good voice, nobody doubts that. But for a jazz or blues singer it's simply not strong enough.

That is also the reason why I fear her cover of Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood. The way how Nina sings it, it's just way out of Lana's league.

I can freely admit this while loving my girl.

People said that about The Other Woman, but look how those vocals turned out...

I really don't think Lana has what it takes to be a blues or jazz singer, honestly. Her live performances have never been very convincing to me, and some of her weakest moments have been when she tries to imitate a jazz singer (Million Dollar Man, I am staring at you). Her voice isn't really suited for it, she's not that great at ad-libbing live, she's not even really consistent with her live performances as they are now... I love her, but I dislike nearly all the live performances of hers I've looked up. She sounds nice in the studio, and I think that's where she's most comfortable. If she wants to imitate a jazz singer there, that's fine because she can do as many takes as she wants or take a break if she feels sick or whatever. But being a jazz singer live? I think the live aspect of jazz is pretty important, and Lana has never managed to impress me vocally live (there are some studio performances of hers that I'm iffy about).

She gets lots of praise for her Milion Dollar Man performances....

Besides, she is constantly improving as a performer

I personally love the way she performs and I'm sure she will continue putting on great shows

I really don't think Lana has what it takes to be a blues or jazz singer, honestly. Her live performances have never been very convincing to me, and some of her weakest moments have been when she tries to imitate a jazz singer (Million Dollar Man, I am staring at you). Her voice isn't really suited for it, she's not that great at ad-libbing live, she's not even really consistent with her live performances as they are now... I love her, but I dislike nearly all the live performances of hers I've looked up. She sounds nice in the studio, and I think that's where she's most comfortable. If she wants to imitate a jazz singer there, that's fine because she can do as many takes as she wants or take a break if she feels sick or whatever. But being a jazz singer live? I think the live aspect of jazz is pretty important, and Lana has never managed to impress me vocally live (there are some studio performances of hers that I'm iffy about).

I respect your view but personally I feel like the song she performs best live is Million Dollar Man, and I'm not even being sarcastic. I think she makes a brilliant jazz singer.

I think Lana's live performances usually don't impress because she's constantly having to sing over her band, the crowd etc. (granted, SNL was a quiet gig but at that time she was just starting out, she was nervous and since then her vocal strength has increased significantly)

For instance these performances are both stellar, and indicate that she's quite capable of giving the blues genre justice.

I mean I'll agree she's no Nina Simone, but her cover of the other woman was fantastic all the same.

I was defending The Other Woman, y'all. Her vocals are amazing in that song.

And anyone saying she can't sing blues needs to watch Million Dollar Man live in New Orleans and Olympia.

Also, Nina Simone's range was quite limited but she made the most of it with her emotive style. Billie's was one octave. There is much more to being a jazz singer than the qualities people are listing here.