ilovetati

Honeymoon - Pre-Release and Discussion Thread

I've just had some really interesting thoughts about what this album could be about... All of her previous albums have been about love/a man/men, yes? Imagine Honeymoon goes the complete opposite way.

The UV video got me thinking - it's the last video of that era, and at the end she's left alone at the altar. Imagine the first song on the Honeymoon album, called Honeymoon - talking about a fake love, a wedding went wrong (left alone at the altar), and then a shitty Honeymoon where they "pretend" to be in love or whatever. Lana has a realization that she doesn't love him, he doesn't love her back though he pretends to (for the money/fame? leading from MPG?) and begs her to stay - however she leaves him. This leads on to the rest of the album - 

She has songs that talk about herself finding her 'new mindset' - one where she realises she doesn't need love, that men/love isn't everything etc. There could be one or two that talk about how she misses love/him - however the rest is about her independence, how free she feels etc. This would mean her album/image would be improved lyrically and visually. Almost every single damn one of her songs is about love - this would be really refreshing imo

then again it could turn back to the love topic, her singing about a perfect honeymoon etc, however I feel like the title track (if there is one?) will be focused around something like this. Though, instead of her 'breaking' his heart, hers is broken instead - and then the entire album turns into another BTD (which is what she said the album will sound like) but i hope she doesn't do that again..

anyways I've thought too much into it and am rambling.

I'm open to any new themes with Honeymoon or a continuation of songs about men and love. What has always drawn me to Lana is that she's the anti-feminist where almost every female artist sings songs about empowering women or women running the world etc. I find it refreshing to listen to songs about the damsel in distress, the woman who is left broken because of doomed romance.

Also more themes with death, religion, mental illness (sorry to be so morbid).

I'm open to any new themes with Honeymoon or a continuation of songs about men and love. What has always drawn me to Lana is that she's the anti-feminist where almost every female artist sings songs about empowering women or women running the world etc. I find it refreshing to listen to songs about the damsel in distress, the woman who is left broken because of doomed romance.

Also more themes with death, religion, mental illness (sorry to be so morbid).

Religion .. pls not. But I already fear we'll getsomething like this, judging from the cross-necklaces that are all over her last photoshoots.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

It's absurd to expect a musician to do anything other than make music. Period. Thing is, Lana still does so much more than that, but you all expect her to whore herself out on every TV show for "promo" so her album/single can reach maybe a position or two higher on the charts. None of that matters. Enjoy the music.

I could totally see Lana becoming more of a private person and even a shut in later in her career. Maybe she will have weeded out all the whiny and shallow fans by then.

Pls maybe we could stop this real/shallow fan BS? Maybe I'm in minority here but I care for her in my own way.

Lana is not a musician by any measure. She's a lyricist and a singer. She contributes sometimes with melodies but that's it for her in the musical department. She needs musicians to build her sound. I don't care about her charting but I care about her performances and that matters regardless your opinion or mine. Without performances you cannot really convey the message of your songs and some of her fans may have a difficulty enjoying her anymore. I reached that point when I need convincing performances from her to enjoy her artistry (the lyrics, the sound is secondary to me in the Honeymoon era). I need her to be strong and show us her abilities as a singer and that she cares about her work (message). If she doesn't take seriously her own work (UV) why should we? As you said, some of her fans will stop following her after the Honeymoon era but not necessarily as flop stans but as people who don't want to follow a mediocre artist which has nothing left to give. She brought this on herself by hastily announcing this era without doing anything significant with UV. You know her explanation for UV: it's a mix of east coast and west coast vibe done in the middle. Really?! That's it? Enjoy the music!

Why not religion?

I don't want to hear church songs. I mean, she has referred to religion (Y&B, LO, GM) and this is ok, because she is a religious/spiritual person but i don't want a song about religion itself. Songs like this always end up preachy.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Cause it's the same with a topic like politics. When people write songs about that it either sounds a) corny af or b) preachy or c) both.

Huh ... Interesting, I've never felt that about religious or politic-themed songs. "Give more power to the people"("political song") doesn't sound preachy or corny or both to me ... But that's just me. So I wouldn't mind religious songs at all.

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

i heard that honeymoon was going to be all about religion actually.. :thirst:

leaked honeymoon tracklist-

1. honeymoon
2. gangbanger housewife (ft. azealia banks)
3. let me drink your holy water, daddy
4. music to watch priests to
5. born to sin
6. love thy daddy
7. cannabis goddess
8. unfaithful priestess
9. jesus is my bestest friend
10. anal before marriage
11. wait for life
12. gates to heaven
13. dont let me be misunderstood (ft. pope francis)

:yesnod: 

Huh ... Interesting, I've never felt that about religious or politic-themed songs. "Give more power to the people"("political song") doesn't sound preachy or corny or both to me ... But that's just me. So I wouldn't mind religious songs at all.

You need to be a songwriter that can pull off songs like that. Many of Lana's lyrics have kitsch and clichés in them. That's okay with me as long as you don't touch some topics.

You need to be a songwriter that can pull off songs like that. Many of Lana's lyrics have kitsch and clichés in them. That's okay with me as long as you don't touch some topics.

Hmm I can see where you're coming from ! This is the type of posts that I enjoy reading on forums, the ones that make me think about music and lyrics etc .. 

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

Me neither and I've never felt like that about the ones Lana has sung so far which involves religious imagery.

Without performances you cannot really convey the message of your songs and some of her fans may have a difficulty enjoying her anymore. I reached that point when I need convincing performances from her to enjoy her artistry (the lyrics, the sound is secondary to me in the Honeymoon era). I need her to be strong and show us her abilities as a singer and that she cares about her work (message). 

Some songs can't really be recreated live with the same impact as studio versions specially moody, minimalistic tracks. The other way around happens too ( when songs are better live) specially for rock bands. So an artist don't depend on performances to convey their message.
When it comes to Lana's music there is this really departure from her persona she created in her music and the way she really is. She's not a diva, she's not a performer but she is a lyricist at first ( something she always mentions in her interviews).I honestly never watched a good performance of SS and OTTR from her but those songs stand for themselves. As a performer she is still developing her stage presence and to control her voice, is she better now than when she started? Yep, but as glastonbury showed us she totally freaks out when she faces big crowds. She doesn't rely on her live performances to deliver great albums and this is what really makes her a good artist.  

She doesn't rely on her live performances to deliver great albums and this is what really makes her a good artist.

My only problem with this comment is that you open the floodgates for every miming artist going to be deemed credible because let's face it, they can't sing for shit but they (their songwriters and producers) deliver a catchy album and that makes them a great artist :-/ - just think that's a bit of a weak argument there.

Saying that, I've seen Lana live and found her really endearing, and her vocals were on point!

My only problem with this comment is that you open the floodgates for every miming artist going to be deemed credible because let's face it, they can't sing for shit but they (their songwriters and producers) deliver a catchy album and that makes them a great artist :-/ - just think that's a bit of a weak argument there.

Saying that, I've seen Lana live and found her really endearing, and her vocals were on point!

You have to read in the context as I explained Lana is a lyricist first and then a performer/singer and she's still developing her stage presence. It's not about vocals on point but for example she wrote a line like "my pussy tastes like pepsi cola" but if you watch some of her performances she sings in a very shy and introverted way - which is very different from what we expect from someone who sing a line like this. A "miming" singer maybe could sing this with a very sexy performance. In the very beginning of backlash she received one of the subjects of criticism was her live performances that made her sound like she was playing a character, well maybe she is. My point is: you can write a song about sex without performing in a sexy way. A song doesn't rely only on live performances to still be a great song which was the argument I was replying.

Pls maybe we could stop this real/shallow fan BS? Maybe I'm in minority here but I care for her in my own way.

Lana is not a musician by any measure. She's a lyricist and a singer. She contributes sometimes with melodies but that's it for her in the musical department. She needs musicians to build her sound. I don't care about her charting but I care about her performances and that matters regardless your opinion or mine. Without performances you cannot really convey the message of your songs and some of her fans may have a difficulty enjoying her anymore. I reached that point when I need convincing performances from her to enjoy her artistry (the lyrics, the sound is secondary to me in the Honeymoon era). I need her to be strong and show us her abilities as a singer and that she cares about her work (message). If she doesn't take seriously her own work (UV) why should we? As you said, some of her fans will stop following her after the Honeymoon era but not necessarily as flop stans but as people who don't want to follow a mediocre artist which has nothing left to give. She brought this on herself by hastily announcing this era without doing anything significant with UV. You know her explanation for UV: it's a mix of east coast and west coast vibe done in the middle. Really?! That's it? Enjoy the music!

Your argument doesn't make much sense to me. Not being able to enjoy a song without it being performed live is kind of ridiculous. There are many artists out there that only release their music without going on as many TV shows as possible or even touring. Except Lana still does tour, so you have live versions of the songs lol. It doesn't reflect how much an artist cares about their music when they don't "promote" it. You're all stuck in stan world/shallow logic. I'm not saying you aren't real fans, but you obviously just said you can't enjoy her music or artistry without some type of promo. Speaks for itself.

Just because Lana isn't playing every instrument on her records doesn't mean she isn't a musician. Writing good melodies, lyrics, and singing all take incredible talent. So yes, enjoy the music.

I'M NOT SORRY