rways

Born To Die: 3 Years Have Passed

I remember my friends were so sleep on her. I downloaded the album day of release, the deluxe weeks later, & then 2 more physicals. IDK what song i was truly stuck on at the time....VG MDM DMD L BJ R NA OTTR WY B2D probs. So grateful for her artistry. 

I ... LOVE this album. Honestly, this is my favorite album ever. 

At first, I didn't quite like Lana, I had watched the Born to Die music video but ... I wasn't that fond of her voice. But the visuals had struck me, so I went back and watched it a second time. And then a 3rd time and BAM ! I was hypnotized. And then came along "Blue Jeans", and I was hooked forever. 

I think what really struck me was the world that she created with this album. I had never heard someone singing about drugs, and wealth and love and hopes and desperation the way she did. It was a whole new world. (*cues Aladdin*)

So I began digging frantically and I found AKA and then ... The deep web of Lana's unreleased songs ! Amazing. Practically every song was as good as all the others. 

What an era that was : I just fell in love (truly, she began the first celebrity crush I ever had :eek: :shh:) I mean she just was everything : this sweet red headed girl singing over heavy hip hop beats with a savory balance between melancholy and joy and always so cute when she dressed. 

I don't care what anyone has to say about this album, "Born to Die" and its "Paradise" Companion are heavenly !  :flutter:

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

I remember hearing Video Games on the Radio shortly after it's release and I loved it from first listen. Then BJ and BTD came and I didn't listen to anything else for weeks. When the album was released I was extremely disappointed because I thought many of the songs were fillers and honestly I still think so. But even though I was disappointed in the album the BTD era was still extremely exciting with all the amazing videos, photo shoots, promotion, live performances, the flawless Paradise and Tropico.

I AM MY ONLY GOD

I first saw her on tumblr,witch turned me off I only played 20 seconds of the born to die music video and I didn't like it at all..her voice was not what I was expecting and I tuned out a week later my friend played the blue jeans video I watched the whole thing and since then I was hooked..first impressions are a strange thing

I

Ciggeretes and RoboTusin will i ever get to Heaven

Oh my fuck, I was only 13 innocent years old, one of the only obsessions that have stuck since then. Embarrassingly, my mum was also really anticipating the release too because she loved Video Games and tbh the whole family (still) love a National Anthem karaoke session in the car.

It really is an iconic album, I was so excited when it came in the mail because I've never been in such awe and fascination over someone, not just her music. It's just got this amazing production and atmosphere which literally makes you feel like you're driving fast in an open roof vintage car - it sounds stupid but it really does make my blood boil and I get genuinely upset when people call her "boring" or "depressing" I mean, are you seriously basing this on Video Games which is the only ballad on the whole fucking album and actually that song is POSITIVE.  :icant2:

Anyway, back to celebrating, I love this album, as much as I adore Ultraviolence, it was a fair shot off BTD because it flows better as an album and yet each song is unique and stands out in it's own way.

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

It's interesting how the BTD (song) vocals turned a lot of us off and then we fell in love ...

That's funny because her voice in that song was exactly what made me fall in love with her. I remember when I saw a pic of her in October 2011 and I thought she was like so hot... I read some stuff about her and I didn't want to listen to her music. I watched the Video Games video on MTV at 5a.m. and I kinda liked it but I was so tired so i didn't really pay attention. And then I listened to Born to Die (song) and when I first heard her voice singing "feet don't fail me now..." I was like :deadbanana: I was like wow, I fell in love.

Nah, she can't top this

This.

Don't get me wrong, I like her going in a more experimental direction, with UV and probably with Honeymoon too but BTD is iconic, I'm pretty confident that she'll never come out with an album that goes together as well as this masterpiece.

This.

Don't get me wrong, I like her going in a more experimental direction, with UV and probably with Honeymoon too but BTD is iconic, I'm pretty confident that she'll never come out with an album that goes together as well as this masterpiece.

Really? For me it's one of her worst albums :whatever:

It's definetly not bad, the first six tracks are impeccable pop perfection and a template for how to make a sophisticated pop record, then there is the mess that is Dark Paradise (the demo is a great song, but the album version takes away the lyrical nuances and leaves you with trite phrases strung together like she drew them out of a hat, and the production is awful) then Radio, Carmen, MDM, SS, TIWMUG and Without You are all good, but don't really live up to the first half of the album (well actually SS is an album highlight but what I said still stands for the others) Lolita and Lucky Ones are embarrassing. Overall it just failed to live up to the hype that the singles caused. The only record I dislike more is Sirens, for similar reasons.

Paradise is like an improved model of BTD, there is not a single filler track on that EP.

AKA is heads and shoulders above BTD lyrically. Well, by that I mean it stays consistantly sophisticated instead of rehashing phrases to fill spaces. Off To The Races is undoubtedly her finest hour yet lyrically, but AKA is a more coherent and consistently listenable album.

Uv is my favourite record by any artist, plain and simple. The melodies are haunting and gorgeous, the lyrics are smart and subtle, and the production is effective without distracting from Lana's vocal performance, which also improved.

But none of this changes that BTD is indeed an iconic record. I just think Lana's already managed to top it like 3 times, and she'll probably do it again :agree2:

Really? For me it's one of her worst albums :whatever:

It's definetly not bad, the first six tracks are impeccable pop perfection and a template for how to make a sophisticated pop record, then there is the mess that is Dark Paradise (the demo is a great song, but the album version takes away the lyrical nuances and leaves you with trite phrases strung together like she drew them out of a hat, and the production is awful) then Radio, Carmen, MDM, SS, TIWMUG and Without You are all good, but don't really live up to the first half of the album (well actually SS is an album highlight but what I said still stands for the others) Lolita and Lucky Ones are embarrassing. Overall it just failed to live up to the hype that the singles caused. The only record I dislike more is Sirens, for similar reasons.

Paradise is like an improved model of BTD, there is not a single filler track on that EP.

AKA is heads and shoulders above BTD lyrically. Well, by that I mean it stays consistantly sophisticated instead of rehashing phrases to fill spaces. Off To The Races is undoubtedly her finest hour yet lyrically, but AKA is a more coherent and consistently listenable album.

Uv is my favourite record by any artist, plain and simple. The melodies are haunting and gorgeous, the lyrics are smart and subtle, and the production is effective without distracting from Lana's vocal performance, which also improved.

But none of this changes that BTD is indeed an iconic record. I just think Lana's already managed to top it like 3 times, and she'll probably do it again :agree2:

I do agree that BTD goes a bit wish-washy after National Anthem but even more so with UV, in my opinion. FMWUTTT, MPG, Old Money, Sad Girl, PWIC, G&R are all similar-ish sounding, compared to how different Brooklyn Baby, West Coast, Ultraviolence, Shades of Cool are at the beginning which are also the stand out tracks/ones that got the most promotion so she definitely could have done the tracklisting a lot better. 

Saying all that, I don't wanna put UV down because I do adore it and it's like 10000X better than if she went down the pop route instead.

AKA comes extremely close to BTD with me, I prefer the songs individually and just the whole 'surf noir' thing she was going for but I put BTD above just cos of the production and how it goes together as an album. Also Lolita and Lucky ones get slated wayyy too much, Lolita is one of my favourites.

I still remember not going to work to get the album and play it all day (I did the same with UV). At first I was a bit disappointed although we basically knew almost every song before it leaked and some of the songs on the album were not as good as some who didn't make the cut, but I fell in love. This whole era was just so exciting. Rooting for her and fighting against others why Lana Del Rey is better than your basic fave, watching her rising to stardom, the glorious videos, the anticipation for Paradise and the way she was killin it on the charts worldwide, It made me so happy for her, cause she is the type of artist that deserves the success she had with this record.  And she was such a babe, always smiling, laughing and nice to her fans like I have not seen a popstar before.

And then all the leaks!!! It was so interesting being a Lana fan. The music just never stopped.

BTD is less than 30k away from selling 1 million records in the UK, so buy 10, buy 20!  :party:

Nah, she can't top this

she already did bro :creep:

-------------------------

UV is the better album but Born to Die is, just like Hello Heaven said, ICONIC and the era was everything

@@Hello Heaven I see what you mean, and I sorta see why you could think that, but I dunno I guess I just like each song quite a lot. But yeah now that I think about it UV is kinda uneven, I just think it's less so that BTD. But also with BTD the deluxe edition was boring and apart from Without You the songs weren't worth buying. Flipside, Black Beauty and ITH are essential Lana songs. UV as a record has 16 songs, and only 2 I'd call real duds and I think if you rearrange the tracks a little (as I did in my playlist) the whole record kinda balances out.

*realises I've just spent ten minutes analysing UV on a BTD related thread*

tumblr_m6tgit2RWA1rys4czo1_250.gif