rways

Born To Die: 3 Years Have Passed

Happy birthday to a life changing album! I haven't stopped loving the album ever since I listened to it for the first time, I can't believe so much time passed. since then :defeated:

Share your thoughts, reviews etc. here for one of the best albums ever released :defeated:

qqAZ3mU.png

i remember 3 years ago hating Lana and thinking she was so boring & now i'm organising her 600+ songs in my iTunes :flutter: oh how times have changed

Haha, ditto. I thought she was soooo pretentious at first. Little did I know...

It's crazy that I am still not tired of the songs, such high quality music in there

Born To Die :legend:

Dark Paradise :legend:

Summertime Sadness :legend:

This album is a masterpiece

I can hear this album for years and never get tired of it. Whenever I play it, the opening strings on Born To Die always give me the chills I had when I first heard it. Luv it.

image.png

Haha, ditto. I thought she was soooo pretentious at first. Little did I know...

My brother said she sounded "like a dying cat" when I first started listening to her.

A few months later I borrowed his iPod and found the album. :toofunny:

it wasn't even pirated, he'd bought it :toofunny:

b19Ibls.png i'll pray for you kathi- you and that disgusting mouth of yours. god bless 

This is not a joke or metaphor. For the first six months I'd get the shakes if I couldn't listen to it.

Me too! I don't know if I can consider it strange, but I've never been "dependent" from UV... Born To Die is so perfect :defeated: Every morning I must listen it on the bus I... or at least 3-4 songs... :defeated:

My brother said she sounded "like a dying cat" when I first started listening to her.

A few months later I borrowed his iPod and found the album. :toofunny:

it wasn't even pirated, he'd bought it :toofunny:

No one  can escape her :yesnod:

this album and Alex Clare made me fall in love with music, they will be forever in my heart :xcry:

I still remember the morning it came out. I downloaded it on iTunes (I bought the physical copy later, I always buy the cheaper digital version when it comes to an album that I'm not sure how much I'll like it) while getting ready for school. Like most students, I wasn't exactly keen on the classes ahead of me. After getting ready there were about 5 minutes left until I had to leave the house so I decided to listen to just the first song off the album, nothing more. I instantly fell in love when I heard the strings, then the beat and finally her voice. I couldn't wait to leave school that day!

Now that some people mentioned it, I remember that when I heard / saw her the first time with Video Games I really did not like her. I'm glad I didn't trust that first impression

kySyfQZ.jpg

I remember I got it at Walmart during lunch in senior year...My shitty town never gets brand new releases so it was only there by some divine interference

Thankful for Without You, Blue Jeans, and the inspiration it gave me to look into her other music

Sin%2Bt%C3%ADtulo.png
This week, Lana Del Rey's first major release, Born to Die, turns 3. Definitely the fans' favorite era, the album was promoted with eight singles, a big amount of beautiful videos that went incredibly viral on Tumblr, two tours, interviews, a re-release/EP, a short film and more. The album sold more than 5 million copies and it's still charting all around the world. It was met with mixed reviews from critics, but half of them were paying attention to Del Rey's personal life instead of the album itself. Now that we're in 2015, Born to Die is among Billboard's best albums of the decade (so far) and it is waiting for more magazines and half-decade lists to praise it just like it deserves.

"Born to Die", the album's second single is the perfect opener – sonically and thematically. You can hear the beautiful violins and loud trip hop beats while she's singing about a young girl fantasizing and trying to survive in a world of dangerous, drug addict men. The song peaked at No. 9 in the UK and its iconic video was an internet sensation. The first promo single and fan-favorite "Off to the Races" is a masterpiece in terms of production and lyrics. While the title track is slow and depressive, "Off to the Races" is a violent alt-hip hop song about an "old bad man" and her sick relationship with him. The lyrics are more than romantic or sexual – they express how maddening love can be. The story-teller "Blue Jeans" features one of the most interesting lyrics from the album. This aggressive trip hop/soft rock song was released as the third single, accompanied by two videos. The first one is a home-made vintage film while the second is a beautifully directed, black and white work of art with a deep meaning. "Blue Jeans" became a Top 40 hit in some Europe countries and it is, without a doubt, one of Lana's most memorable songs/videos. We need to take a moment to think about the perfection of "Video Games", the album's lead single. The mystery behind it and its iconic video. The Top 10 hit was the beginning of a worldwide star, the creation of something important. It was just a simple yet intriguing video, but the whole Internet was talking about it. The majestic melody, romantic lyrics and powerful chorus make "Video Games" her best ballad. Going back to the trip hop/alternative hip hop sound, "Diet Mountain Dew" is a sexy retro song about a pretty girl wondering if her love for this bad man will last forever. The fifth single, "National Anthem", was a commercial failure due its lack of airplay and performances. Its lyrics are clever and open to a big amount of interpretations. In the controversial, high-budget video, Lana plays Marilyn Monroe and Jacqueline Kennedy, while American rapper ASAP Rocky is JFK. It was named one of the best music videos of the decade. "Dark Paradise" was released as the sixth single in order to promote the album, its re-release and the Paradise Tour. Just like the rest of the album, "Dark Paradise" has a very melancholic and dramatic melody. Its music video never saw the light of the day. "Radio" is probably the only optimistic song on Born to Die. The lyrics discusses themes such as hard-working, fame and overcoming. With "Carmen", the second promo single, the album goes back to its dark sound – but this one is definitely the darkest. Del Rey sings about this 17-year old girl Carmen that everybody loves with soft and gloomy trip hop beats in the background. "You said I was the most exotic flower," is the opening line of the jazzy "Million Dollar Man". The fans love when Lana performs this song live – it's an even jazzier version and her vocals are almost always on point (and sometimes they're just funny). The worldwide hit, "Summertime Sadness" is the eleventh song on Born to Die, and the second co-written by the amazing Rick Nowels. The indie pop/trip hop/shoegazing ballad was a hit in Europe in 2012 – it reached the No. 1 spot in Poland and became the 21st best-selling single in the UK that year. In 2013, French DJ Cedric Gervais had his breakthrough with his first single; a Grammy-winning progressive house remix of Lana's "Summertime Sadness". Both the original version and the remix were Top 10 hits in North America, Oceania, South America and Europe. The last song on the standard edition of Born to Die is the rebellious "This Is What Makes Us Girls". The outro of the song is just an epic way to end this incredible album. The deluxe version includes the ballads "Without You" and "Lucky Ones" and the sexy "Lolita".

VIDEOS

0FB5E6F8AA1F422FAD0A1EAD06CF6C4C.jpg

Lana-Del-Rey-Blue-Jeans.png

1531eyu.jpg

lanacarmen.png

Screen-shot-2012-03-19-at-8.41.43-AM-630

2315059-lana-del-rey-asap-rocky-viral-61

Lana-del-Rey.jpg

PHOTOSHOOTS/COVERS

dfdf.jpg

What's your favorite song from Born to Die? Least favorite?

Favorite thing about this incredible moment for popular music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clGpZdf3bwY

"No one sounded like Lana Del Rey when she released Born to Die," - Billboard

"A delicious hybrid of Portishead and Nancy Sinatra," - The Independent on Sunday

"I can't think of an album since My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy that was this big and sounded this good," - Fact

"Lana has certainly proved that she's not just here to play games," - The Fly

"One of the more cohesive pop albums in recent memory," - Slant

"Modern classic. Poor uv." - Me. I Am Mariah

3 yrs???  Damn, time flies.  Like others said, I didn't think much of Lana at first.  I remember my brother telling me to check out "Blue Jeans" and I was like "Oh, I know her.  Her voice is ok, but I don't fucking get it.  She's nothing special."  LOL.  Took me until UV to actually get it :(