Fluorine

Charli XCX

i love the brat cover as much as the next person, but tweets like that are just sort of... immature

it really gives 'i cant take criticism' because there are thousands of 11/10 album covers that convey the music without the artist even on the cover (off the top of my head, rayes M21CB, bury me at makeout creek by mitski and even mileys slide away single cover). i do understand and agree with her point that some (particularly gay fans) do see an album cover without the artist on and immediately scream 'WhAT is ThIS' but i think that comes from a place of overexposure to great album art than intentional misogyny (despite it still being slightly misogynistic) and they’re always looking for a step up from the previous thing

anyways i’m rambling TL;DR i like the brat cover and charli is acting the same way she always has

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

She would have a point if she said only stereotypically attractive women can make it in music but we do have lorde who is on the same level as Ed Sheeran- like no one would care if lorde wasn’t on the cover because you’re not necessarily there to see her looking amazing- it’s about the album concept in relation to the artists image  

She is so annoying:tiffany4: As a woman myself this is just ridiculous. I actually like the brat cover but no one feels entitled to her face, they just didn’t like the cover it’s not that deep. She’s literally making discourse out of nothing. 

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

Was that tweet misogynous in some way, more than likely, but she can't defend herself, most people that dislike the cover just think it sucks. I don't mind the other 3, I like Dua's and Taylor's and I don't know about Ariana's but I guess it will fit the vibe of the record. Charli's though...

It isn't her first time without her face front and center. I wasn't there at the time but did people react negatively to the vroom vroom artwork being just a car? Because I like that one, I think it works, I can't say the same about brat. The difference in between those 2 reactions isn't misogyny, it's people disliking ugly / low effort stuff.

If she was just defending her contemporaries I'd be right there with her, but I feel like if her album wasn't brought up, she wouldn't have cared one bit.

6 minutes ago, Sportscruiser said:

The cover doesn’t even need defending. Every designer I know of loves the cover regardless of being fans of Charli or not.

Dua’s cover is far more atrocious.

It ugly- duas atleast look like a cute Instagram vacation pic 

The discourse around this cover is just hilarious to me.

- It’s ugly.

- Yeah, but it’s intentionally ugly.

- OK, but it’s still ugly.

Bravo to Charli for sticking to her artistic vision, truly. But if you’re expecting fans to cough up £40 for a physical, they’re gonna have something to say about it. I don't care that she isn't on the cover. I don't need her to be. I care that's it's rancid, and no amount of condescending essays explaining why it's rancid will make it any less rancid.

27 minutes ago, taco truck said:

She is so annoying:tiffany4: As a woman myself this is just ridiculous. I actually like the brat cover but no one feels entitled to her face, they just didn’t like the cover it’s not that deep. She’s literally making discourse out of nothing. 

I like Grimes’ take on why the majority of people reacted so negatively to it… it’s pretty accurate but Charli did make a very valid point too. People are reacting to it because she isn’t in it like open twitter there is people on those posts complaining for the lack of “serves” etc

3 minutes ago, allmybirdsofparadise said:

- It’s ugly.

Bravo to Charli for sticking to her artistic vision, truly. But if you’re expecting fans to cough up £40 for a physical, they’re gonna have something to say about it. I don't care that she isn't on the cover. I don't need her to be. I care that's it's rancid, and no amount of condescending essays explaining why it's rancid will make it any less rancid.

I mean if you don’t like it you could just not buy it. Why kick up a fuss over the album cover but then still buy it ? :toofunny:

i love the brat cover, unironically. also, i think some of you just put way too much effort into overanalyzing her tweets and even going beyond to call every single thing she says "insufferable".  almost every time i come here there are like multiple people jumping at her throat and she's not even saying anything remotely earth-shattering. yes, for some stuff like the rina drama i think she can get quite out of touch and in need of some reality check, but damn, not EVERY time she says anything

7 minutes ago, allmybirdsofparadise said:

- It’s ugly.

You just said that you respect Charli for sticking to her "trashy" artistic vision and then went on to complain about it being trashy/rancid :tiffany2:. And yes, it is rancid but if that's the point then I don't see the problem, and I find it makes it better because of the fact that it IS intentional, if she made that cover with the intention of it being beautiful then I would be trashing it just as much lmao

I bet she's so lucky Untitled-video-Made-with-Clipchamp.gif to have a voice like that

last.fm

the fact that the thought of Charli's tweet referring to both to the brat and Sucker cover arts hasn't even crossed your minds is definitely something 

disliking the brat cover art is not just about it being ugly and y'all know that 

back to the days of Sucker people would yelp about the mid original cover art without her face being trash 

then she gave us an equally mid cover art with the only difference being that her face was on it and then all of a sudden no one was yelping anymore 

does that say something to y'all?

im not a woman so i wont comment heavily, but i dont know why she thinks having women on their album covers is misogynistic? the cover isnt even nice anyways

i-have-no-kung-fu.jpg

LEAK ZODIAC

5 minutes ago, ethelcain said:

You just said that you respect Charli for sticking to her "trashy" artistic vision and then went on to complain about it being trashy/rancid :tiffany2:. And yes, it is rancid but if that's the point then I don't see the problem, and I find it makes it better because of the fact that it IS intentional, if she made that cover with the intention of it being beautiful then I would be trashing it just as much lmao

You're quoting me saying trashy when I never once uttered the word lol?

It's a problem when you put out a rancid cover and then act shocked that majority of your fanbase thinks it's rancid -- so rancid that they don't want to buy the physicals until an additional cover is revealed. She made it ugly on purpose, great -- and that's why it's repelling fans from purchasing the physical.