Sign in to follow this  
PARADIXO

PROOF: Lana is a great songwriter

Go Go Dancer has really excellent lyrics. I mean it has imagery, eroticism, character, and multiple character perspectives. The "My Daddy is Rich" line and the Larcombe production have always suggested to me that it was written in the BTD era, as LDR is inclined to use criticism creatively in her songs (FMWUTTT, MPG). In another post (somewhere) I compared GGD to Nabokov. In yet another post I compared TIWMUG and NA to Bob Dylan. It's something about the wordiness and wry humor of the songs, maybe also in the execution. "Drinking on the job.... with the boss" gets me every time. Last Girl on Earth has some excellent name dropping and hyperbole. How that one was never released is probably the biggest enigma for me.

OTTR is a masterpiece. 

I love Gods & Monsters, Is This Happiness and Old Money. 

Although I think Diet Mountain Dew is okay, I love the line 'Let's take Jesus off the dashboard, got enough on his mind'

tumblr_mwp2g0tk9a1rj6peio4_500.gif

Okay, let's talk about "Diet Mtn Dew:crossed:

"Diet mountain dew, baby, New York City

Never was there ever a girl so pretty
Do you think we’ll be in love forever?
Do you think we’ll be in love"

I just love the way that she starts with the simple (most random) things in life, as a trampoline to deeper questions. And the melody is just beautiful.

The verses are all one thing : cute and dreamy and hopeful and melancholic. All in one. 

And what about this : 

Baby stoppin’ at seven eleven

There in his white Pontiac heaven
Do you think we’ll be in love forever?
Do you think we’ll be in love?

:sluttybunny:

I mean, the flow on the first two lines is so good, and right after that moment where the song just floats in mid air for a couple of seconds...

If you prefer the demo versions, that's perfectly fine, they're great ! I fell in love with the one she posted on her YT account, with that picture of her, with the rose crown on her blond hair ... Such a throwback. 

(As a bonus : )

Hit me and tell me you're mine

I don't know why but I like it

Scary, my god, you're divine

Gimme them, gimme them dope and diamonds

Members of the jury, I'm done.

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

Unfortunately English is not my first language, so I can't easily understand at first listen the lyrics and sometimes neither the sense of some of them.

Anyway, I think that American shouldn't be on the bad lyrics. I love the references of the American singers like Springsteen and elvis

tumblr_ncf5qwtL1C1tktqnpo1_500.giftumblr_nn0o28ngn21u6a0a7o1_500.gif

I think Waimea hasn't been mentioned yet, I love this bit:

I remember we came in May
And we changed our names to Lana and Ray
We'd be up 'til the sun rosé,
I'm in gold lamé, your pink floral haze

I think her lyrics were somewhat stronger in her unreleased songs. Waimea, The man I love, 1949, Pin up galore etc, that's my favourite style of Lana's songs. They are ofter very simple, but they still conjure these eerie atmospheres.