annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

I'm quite surprised by the quality and weight of the vinyl, usually colored vinyl isn't heavy, but this feels like 180g :)

I'm surprised with the fact that it came with the booklet, I saw unboxings from BTD, Paradise and Ultraviolence and none of them came with the booklet.

original.gif

So here's my review. Not rating the interlude.

Honeymoon I actually loved this track from the very beginning, although I still feel like it could use a faster tempo and percussion during the second part. The lyrics were quite disappointing at first but I got used to them. The chorus is absolutely breathtaking, love the screeching string arrangement. 8/10

Music to Watch Boys To Definitely grew on me and I really like it now, love the kitsch imagery and the exotic instrumental. However I think the intro acapella is way too much

and the “I live to love you…” bit is quite crappy. 7/10

Terrence Loves You An instant favourite. The melody is haunting and I adore the sax during the chorus. This song features one of Lana’s most exquisite bridges.

The Bowie reference still gives me shivers. 9/10

God Knows I Tried This song is perfection. The lyrics are great and the overall production is quite raw, reminding me of Ultraviolence.

The guitar riff through the song is quite similar to Kinda Outta Luck and I love that. 9/10

High By the Beach I was never a fan of this song in the first place. The lyrics are meh and the beat is really basic. Still a nice bop. 4/10

Freak Loved the snippet and I overhyped it a bit. There’s something missing yet there’s too much going on.

The blue blue blue blue bit is kinda embarrassing lol I still think it’s a great track. 7/10

Art Deco This track was a huge surprise cause I was expecting the worst to be honest. The trap + jazz mixture is fantastic and although the lyrics aren’t great the overall vibe of the song is fantastic. I LOVE the sax during the bridge. 9/10

Religion I don’t really like this song. It’s quite basic and the lyrics aren’t even that great. Not feeling it. 4/10

Salvatore Another song ruined by crappy lyrics like ‘limousines’, ‘soft ice cream’ and 'beatboxing and rapping in the summer rain’ wtf. Although ‘Dying by the hand of a foreign man’ is a great line.

It’s a pity cause the production is flawless and the melody is really catchy. I don’t get the ‘career defining’ thing but it is a lovely track. 8/10

The Blackest Day Now this song is a masterpiece. So fucking good. It has flaws but that makes it even better. The chorus is fantastic and the bridge is to die for. Not much to add. 10/10

24 I desperately tried to get into this song but I just couldn’t. It’s really pretty and the lyrics are nice but there’s something that puts me off. 5/10

Swan Song A true disappointment. The song lacks a proper tune. It’s simply flat. There’s a nice string build up before the chorus and it goes absolutely NOWHERE. The lyrics are nice though. 3/10

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood The cover is nice but a little bit flat. I don’t really like the instrumental. Her voice sounds monotone through the whole thing. 5/10

ZmJh1LG.jpg

So nothing came out of the fans meeting in London? What a flop. The goddess came out of hiding for the first time in months and we have no news? No media? Nothing? Was it a success or no one was there?

There's a lot of photos and some videos, look for Lana Del Rey Addiction and other pages on facebook and you will see it.

But I guess no one asked her about Life is Beautiful and the release of the hollywood forever concert.

original.gif

Have listened through the whole album once, a few songs I have listened to a couple of more times.

Overall I find it better than UV, not as good as BTD. The album seems like a good mix of the two, leaning more heavily towards UV, at least in terms of the musical style (I don't know the lyrics well enough to comment on that).

Music to Watch Boys To and Terrence Loves You are the 2 highlights for me so far, I'll have some stronger thoughts after I listen to the rest of the album. Third straight album from her (Paradise, UV and this) where the second song on the album is the best one.

God Knows I Tried and Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, and surprisingly enough the title track are those on the bottom for me. The title tracks for both BTD and UV were excellent songs (my fave of the album for the latter) but just not that into it this time. She's done rather "eh" covers on the last 2 album and my hope is she gives it up for the next one.

Anyway, initial impression was it was worth the wait and hoping it is very successful.