annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

All of my long post and you bring it down to that one line you were looking for and intepret it the wrong way. Congrats

yes, because that is your constant debate on here everytime you post, sales/album/sales/album, thats where everything comes to a climax with you. so when you go on a 47 page rant and throw in that, it just solidifies your very narrow view of how you actually view music.

which i mean is fine, if that's what you look for in music, that's your choice of course, but then one does wonder why you're even still here?..............head down to your local music store, find the top 40 albums chart, go to the top 5 row and buy all 5 of those albums and go home and enjoy.

Let's not act like: "The album is not cohesive, its all over the place. plus its so slooow and boring, so that make me being disappointed at her". When in reality is: "I'm tired of her not promoting her music besides the typical 4 magazines, radio interviews for fans and without any pop catering music video that can propel her career to be bigger and better. She's going on a downfall because of her messy decisions with her career. "

But admit it that you are acting like this because she isnt doing anything with the album and that disappoints you lol. It's ok, my friend. 

Well, she isn't doing anything interesting with it, which is true, but the focus is what is on the record. It's all pretty, but sometimes also pretty dull.

It is not an awful album, don't get me wrong, it is just so without any drive. And the songs on there are not really among her strongest when you compare it to the rest of her discography. 

The thing is, it ain't bad, it is just a middle of the road.

yes, because that is your constant debate on here everytime you post, sales/album/sales/album, thats where everything comes to a climax with you. so when you go on a 47 page rant and throw in that, it just solidifies your very narrow view of how you actually view music.

which i mean is fine, if that's what you look for in music, that's your choice of course, but then one does wonder why you're even still here?..............head down to your local music store, find the top 40 albums chart, go to the top 5 row and buy all 5 of those albums and go home and enjoy.

I am very interested in that aspect of the music business. I love watching trends, I am interested to see where music consumption is heading.  Of course, I include my favourite artist into the debate. I don't think there is anything wrong with that and it also doesn't not change the quality of the material she releases.

These are two seperate things.

Well, she isn't doing anything interesting with it, which is true, but the focus is what is on the record. It's all pretty, but sometimes also pretty dull.

It is not an awful album, don't get me wrong, it is just so without any drive. And the songs on there are not really among her strongest when you compare it to the rest of her discography. 

The thing is, it ain't bad, it is just a middle of the road.

Not many people agree with that. Look at the reviews of Born To Die comapred to this.

Both this and the last album have elevated her to a level of respect that she always wanted.  She's said over and over how her primary goal was to be a musician and an artist, one that people enjoyed, not this provocateur, polarizing icon that her fans elevated her to in 2012. She obviously enjoyed playing with jarring imagery back then, but she's been there/done that, and she did the promo circuit back then too, but again, she has said that she does not enjoy it.

The fact that you are virtually dismissing her work and her drive as a creator based on her lack of desire to do things she finds unsavory isn't really all that fair. If you want to stan for a pop star that you can brag out to other people (and have that be your primary source of enjoyment), then I can link you to the Toilet Seat boards. But you're here because i assume you connect with Lana, so just let it happen. She's getting further and further away from the Stan Wars culture and you're gonna have to adapt.

And the songs on there are not really among her strongest when you compare it to the rest of her discography.

based on what though? your opinion or general consensus, because if we are looking at the critical reception of her albums, born to die actually DIDN;T go down THAT great with critics, it got a very mixed reaction. some truly awful ones actually.

it's honeymoon and ultraviolence that have actually solidified her in a way that people see her as an artist.

I actually find it quite amusing how strong the reactions are and what I am being acused of. It really is because I probably read every interview, I know every song etc etc.

Folks, people who were here for Lana because of the chart success already left this fandom before UV dropped, which is actually my favourite Lana album along with AKA.

And let's not get started with why BTD was recieved so poorly. We all know it, so let's keep it there.

I literally have no clue what magazines Lana has been posing for, or how high-caliber the shows she performs on are. But I love reading her interviews and I like to see her perform. I wanted to see her live, but the venue she performed at near me sold out instantly in addition to being small. I think she has thoughtful things to say and I love hearing about the music-making process. As fans, I assume we tend to be interested in alternate versions of songs, which every live version is. I don't think wanting more of either of these makes me a greedy or chart-obsessed fan. I like her as a musician, as a person, and as a general creative producer, beyond music. (I do value her music above all else, which is why bad music is worse for me than bad lyrics)

The idea of distancing oneself from commercialization is very nice, but several years from now, when Lana stops singing and touring, we're going to be looking at the paucity of materials we have for periods in her catalog and wishing we had more. I'm a fan of artists from the 60s-70s that basically stopped performing live after releasing later albums or rarely gave interviews, and it stinks to not have that material, particularly when you know they're extremely unlikely to do so again. I also enjoy some video games that bombed commercially and finding any official material relating to them is a drag because there's very little of it and oftentimes, it's only in Japanese. Fans want everything of an artist. It can be a bit all-consuming and unfair, but I don't think every fan wishing Lana got out there more is necessarily wanting to have the "prestige" of being a fan of a popular artist.

EDIT: It's unfair to take BTD reviews into account when every person on this board knows that Lana was more often reviewed for image than her music itself. And although critics' opinions should be taken into account, they're certainly not the deciding factor in an album's quality. Critics often have a radically different opinion from the "common people" and their constraints as reviewers (little time to review an artist, pressure to give good or bad review, unfamiliarity with certain genre, often having no musical training [critics misusing musical terminology are the worst and should be barred from ever writing a review without having a glossary of musical terms at their side]) should not be ignored. I mean, 1989 is a couple of points below Honeymoon on Metacritic, if we really wanna go there.

I actually find it quite amusing how strong the reactions are and what I am being acused of. It really is because I probably read every interview, I know every song etc etc.

Folks, people who were here for Lana because of the chart success already left this fandom before UV dropped, which is actually my favourite Lana album along with AKA.

And let's not get started with why BTD was recieved so poorly. We all know it, so let's keep it there.

Part of BTD's bad reception was because people had their knives out for her, DUH, but when you compare it with her last 2 albums, it's like night and day. BTD is a classic, but not a masterpiece. Let's keep it real. It has some shit songs on it.

Anyway we're getting farther away from what the initial point of this convo was.

If you're not letting the commercial stuff affect your opinion, then excellent. But you haven't done a great job of making it sound that way. That's all we're saying.

Part of BTD's bad reception was because people had their knives out for her, DUH, but when you compare it with her last 2 albums, it's like night and day. BTD is a classic, but not a masterpiece. Let's keep it real. It has some shit songs on it.

Anyway we're getting farther away from what the initial point of this convo was.

If you're not letting the commercial stuff affect your opinion, then excellent. But you haven't done a great job of making it sound that way. That's all we're saying.

It is not my fault, that some of you can not draw the line where my focus is. I do often post about commercial aspects of music, but that does not mean I need Lana to do a  Mr. Ratga sized promo for her albums.

Enjoying what you listen to because it becomes a soundtrack to your life and the actual pop culture moment are two different things. 

I mean, another fave of mine is Azealia. If I was there for the charts, I would have dropped her ass long time ago.

And Lana, right after Tropico.

My initial post only had to do with the fact that I don't think it's a bad record, but that my interest in the music on HM gets lost somewhere in the middle because she is not doing anything to keep my attention.

People make it seem like I am not a Lana fan anymore or don't listen to her other stuff, like WTF?

My honest opinion: I feel like this album is going to be just another Paradise in her career - a beautiful record but with no really artistic development. The true is that we ( as fans) listened to her music so much and spend our times reading her interviews, lyrics and trying to understand every single piece of her work that' listening to Lana, her world and vision it's easier for us than the rest of the world. I think it happened with everyone here but how many songs you hated when you first listened and still think it's bad but now you are capable of listening because it's a Lana song? 

What really happened with me while listening to this album is I found myself questioning "Am I liking this because it's good or because is Lana singing?" quite often. And this is because I don't feel any surprise listening to this, it's Lana in her better version of herself but I still feel like "I've been there, done that". Does it make sense? Has someone here felt the same way? It's not bad it's lacks something as a whole....maybe ambition to expand her sound and landscape. I can feel her ambition and vision with some tracks ( Salvatore and The Blackest Day) but also her boredom on the rest of the album. If I could choose one line to define the album I think I would say “I've got nothing much to live for/Ever since I found my fame" because this lack of    desire and aspiration  it's clear through the album. 

If I could choose one line to define the album I think I would say “I've got nothing much to live for/Ever since I found my fame" because this lack of    desire and aspiration  it's clear through the album. 

I think that's a really honest lyric from her. And she hasn't hidden it in her interviews. It might do her some good to get out of LA and have different experiences. I mean, if chilling in Italy gives us Salvatore, I'm alright with that.  :hooker:

I disagree that this is a "Paradise," if only because I skip half of that record the rare time I listen to it. I think Cola and American are the only songs from there I still listen to. On the other hand, I'm not quite sure what the artistic development is on UV, which everyone hails as a stepping stone in her career. Is it the rock sound? Her lyrics didn't seem to change much. Her vocals improved. Her music didn't seem to become more complex or really change much. I'd really like a fan of UV to explain what makes it a more mature record than Born to Die, or Paradise, or AKA. I don't think it's bad, at all, but I just don't understand the hype around it.  :judgingu3:

My honest opinion: I feel like this album is going to be just another Paradise in her career - a beautiful record but with no really artistic development. The true is that we ( as fans) listened to her music so much and spend our times reading her interviews, lyrics and trying to understand every single piece of her work that' listening to Lana, her world and vision it's easier for us than the rest of the world. I think it happened with everyone here but how many songs you hated when you first listened and still think it's bad but now you are capable of listening because it's a Lana song? 
What really happened with me while listening to this album is I found myself questioning "Am I liking this because it's good or because is Lana singing?" quite often. And this is because I don't feel any surprise listening to this, it's Lana in her better version of herself but I still feel like "I've been there, done that". Does it make sense? Has someone here felt the same way? It's not bad it's lacks something as a whole....maybe ambition to expand her sound and landscape. I can feel her ambition and vision with some tracks ( Salvatore and The Blackest Day) but also her boredom on the rest of the album. If I could choose one line to define the album I think I would say “I've got nothing much to live for/Ever since I found my fame" because this lack of    desire and aspiration  it's clear through the album. 

ew no

I hope Honeymoon gets nominated for a Grammy

I don't think it will only becuase even though Lana deserves every award in the world, she gets overlooked for a lot of big awards like that. It's probably due to all of the controversy about her.  :azealia:

tumblr_o1safdMl1g1uc67yuo1_540.jpg