annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

I was literally thinking the same thing after listening to the album all the way through! I think the sadder songs (Terrence, GKIT etc.) are about Barrie, while the happier/dreamier songs are about her meeting and then eventually dating Francesco and thus the album is a story.

I know I posted before saying I think Terrence is about Barrie but yesterday I read an interview in which she said they had an almost telepathic relationship, which would fit in with the lyrics of Terrence "Put the radio on, hold you tight in my mind" "trying to transmit, can you hear me".

Speaking to Britain's The Sun newspaper, the songstress explained that they have a deep connection and feel very close: "He is definitely a poet. I didn't really know what being a poet meant until I met him. He has changed me in ways that I didn't expect. On the one hand I have everything I've dreamed of in terms of a soul connection, it's almost telepathic."

I still maintain that she wrote the song about being in love with someone but having to separate yourself from them because they're so dark. It's clear she loved him and they had a deep connection and in the song it seems as if she is saying, I miss you but I wouldn't change how you are for anything, even if it means I can't be with you because of it.

"I still get trashed, honey, when I hear your tunes" is self explanatory.

The Hollywood legends reference when in the past she has said (of herself and Barrie):

While addressing the state of her next album, Lana Del Rey revealed the strange way she bonds with her boyfriend Barrie-James O'Neill. On their down time, Lana and her Kassidy rocker boo reminisce over legendary deceased musicians.

"[Kurt Cobain is] a big part of our daily conversation. Jeff Buckley is another big inspiration. And Jim Morrison--I mean, we talk about these people like we know them," said Lana to Nylon magazine. "They're a part of our relationship. We always say, 'All of our friends are dead, and they never knew us.' I'm lucky to have met someone who feels that way, too."

malena09.gif

After some time with this record, I think I can finally sum um what I think about it and how I personally feel about Honeymoon.

I mean, I am Lana fan since summer 2011, so I think I can word it without being attacked or with the exception of that graham dude calling me "a hater". 

I haven't listen to the album for a few days, a week maybe til today. I just didn't feel the need to do it, it was nothing in me that was longing for it. 

I revisited it today and I didn't make it through the album. My thoughts started to wander, my focus got lost because there was nothing that was demanding my attention.

After HBTB the album feels like one big note. The pace does hardly change, the lyrics are more miss than hit and there is no change in pace, like AT ALL. All is just slow and not even trying to be interesting while being so.

I don't know how members who are old posters on here feel about this record. Like, people who started posting on here when this site went up and when the Lana craze was alive and breathing  ;)

I have noticed over the time that many, who once posted here frequently, stopped doing it. New members joined, but I wonder where these people went and how they feel about this record in particular.

While BTD was clearly a great pop album with interesting execution and Lana being portrayed as a new superstar, UV was musically superior with an underwhelming execution. But what is Honeymoon? 

I have no clue what this album wants to be. It feels like a mix of confidence and boredom at the same time. Which stuns me, because at the begiing I thought that this record was being the closest to finally execute everything she is all about, but I was wrong.

After all, Lana considers herself as a writer, so what is actually stopping her from releasing well-written songs is a mystery to me. Lines like "there's 24 hours in a day" or "stranger than a stranger" are just incredibly dumb.

Maybe she should stop releasing an album every year. Maybe she should just try to make the lyrics work on paper first and start to build the songs with great harmonies. Maybe she should make an album that gives me variation in pace and dynamics.  Maybe she should not announce a record a year or nine months in advance. Maybe she should break free, live life and go spending time somewhere in places like NYC, London or Berlin to get some inspiration instead of using the same inspiration and boring herself to death in L.A.

I don't know. All I know is that Honeymoon is not doing anything for me.

Maybe it's the music business in general that doesn't offer listeners anything REALLY exciting right now. Sales are going down, artists ain't making lots of money with releasing an album.

Maybe releasing a new album without announcement, but previously announce a tour and re-create this album on tour like a mini-theater is what artists should do. Not like Lana, who struggels to sing 2 or 3 new songs on a tour from a new album, goes down to the screaming crowd, waves good-bye and calls it a day.

Maybe she should just try to make the lyrics work on paper first and start to build the songs with great harmonies. Maybe she should make an album that gives me variation in pace and dynamics.  Maybe she should not announce a record a year or nine months in advance. Maybe she should break free, live life and go spending time somewhere in places like NYC, London or Berlin to get some inspiration instead of using the same inspiration and boring herself to death in L.A.

I agree a lot with this. I feel like Lana is really staying in an artistic "safe zone" and that's part of the reason why she won't perform on TV or anything. We know she hustled back when she went under Lizzy Grant, performing everywhere, and I think she's said that she sees herself as a singer. But... singers sing. It's disappointing that she seems unwilling to perform or promote a lot of her new material.

Lyrically, she continues to write awkward lyrics that circle around similar themes. I wrote once that Honeymoon feels like a parody of an LDR song, and while I have since warmed greatly to the song, the lyrics still feel like someone went through a checklist of Lana references. Being misunderstood? Unusual sexual metaphor? Ill-advised mention of violence? Loving a bad boy? It's like those "Lana Del Rey song title generators" that were popular in the year following Born To Die's release. While I think Lana revisiting certain themes makes her stand out among her contemporaries (we wouldn't have Lanalysis if she didn't have such revered items as diet mountain dew, the chateau marmont, or pink flamingos), it's really easy for it to feel like a retread as opposed to a thread tying her world together.

Musically, she continues to show a knack for great melodies. But production-wise, she gets a little monotonous. I like Honeymoon, but I tend to skip the songs after a certain point. When 24 actually starts sounding like the Bond theme it was meant to be, it's great, but the build-up to that part of the song is excruciatingly slow. I literally forget Religion is on the tracklist every time I listen to the album. Similarly, I don't remember how the verses of Art Deco go. God Knows I Tried is a beautiful song, but someone should have told her "okay, stop here." Having the equivalent of a musical editor isn't "compromising your vision." Art doesn't have to be a one-man process. On a positive note, the bridge of TLY is probably one of my favorite musical+lyrical moments in her entire discography, and the best one on Honeymoon. I get chills listening to it every single time. :defeated: 

Visually, I haven't really cared for her official music videos much in general. I like her homemade videos because they're so innocent and direct. It's the closest you can get to having a visual representation of what Lana pictured when she made that song. I wish she would bring that lo-fi but intimate quality back. I mean, she's rich, she can probably afford to clear the rights for her clips and have better quality shots of her, so it doesn't need to be some 240p artifact-ridden mess. It was so unique; none of her contemporaries have done anything like that, to my knowledge.

Honestly, if I'm frustrated with Lana, it's because I feel she could be doing so much better. We know from her unreleased catalog that she's an incredibly flexible artist. Her voice sounds unique no matter what her range is. Yet I feel like with all her released bodies of work, there's something holding them back. Too self-indulgent at times? Some poor song choices? Lazy lyrics weighing down otherwise beautiful songs? I have a hard time explaining what it is. But I just really want Lana to deliver that album that's going to be (almost) universally recognized as an enduring body of work. Her "Dark Side of the Moon," if you will (no, that's not my favorite Floyd album, but it's a solid one and that's undeniable). If sales are anything to go by, BTD is the closest she's come to that - it's the album that refuses to die. I love Lana so much, I want the best for her artistically and commercially (and any word that ends with a -ly) but I feel like she's holding herself back and I don't know why. Is she afraid of her potential? Afraid of success? Afraid of being the object of the internet's scorn again?

I'm certain that everyone else here who has expressed disappointment at Lana's artistic/commercial choices feels the same way I do - we feel Lana isn't doing her best or not getting the recognition she deserves; we just all have different ideas on what the ideal is or how to achieve it.

I'm gonna go listen to Honeymoon now because for all the flaws I've listed, it's still one of my favorite albums of 2015.

After some time with this record, I think I can finally sum um what I think about it and how I personally feel about Honeymoon.

I mean, I am Lana fan since summer 2011, so I think I can word it without being attacked or with the exception of that graham dude calling me "a hater". 

I haven't listen to the album for a few days, a week maybe til today. I just didn't feel the need to do it, it was nothing in me that was longing for it. 

I revisited it today and I didn't make it through the album. My thoughts started to wander, my focus got lost because there was nothing that was demanding my attention.

After HBTB the album feels like one big note. The pace does hardly change, the lyrics are more miss than hit and there is no change in pace, like AT ALL. All is just slow and not even trying to be interesting while being so.

I don't know how members who are old posters on here feel about this record. Like, people who started posting on here when this site went up and when the Lana craze was alive and breathing  ;)

I have noticed over the time that many, who once posted here frequently, stopped doing it. New members joined, but I wonder where these people went and how they feel about this record in particular.

While BTD was clearly a great pop album with interesting execution and Lana being portrayed as a new superstar, UV was musically superior with an underwhelming execution. But what is Honeymoon? 

I have no clue what this album wants to be. It feels like a mix of confidence and boredom at the same time. Which stuns me, because at the begiing I thought that this record was being the closest to finally execute everything she is all about, but I was wrong.

After all, Lana considers herself as a writer, so what is actually stopping her from releasing well-written songs is a mystery to me. Lines like "there's 24 hours in a day" or "stranger than a stranger" are just incredibly dumb.

Maybe she should stop releasing an album every year. Maybe she should just try to make the lyrics work on paper first and start to build the songs with great harmonies. Maybe she should make an album that gives me variation in pace and dynamics.  Maybe she should not announce a record a year or nine months in advance. Maybe she should break free, live life and go spending time somewhere in places like NYC, London or Berlin to get some inspiration instead of using the same inspiration and boring herself to death in L.A.

Maybe it's the music business in general that doesn't offer listeners anything REALLY exciting right now. Sales are going down, artists ain't making lots of money with releasing an album.

Maybe releasing a new album without announcement, but previously announce a tour and re-create this album on tour like a mini-theater is what artists should do. Not like Lana, who struggels to sing 2 or 3 new songs on a tour from a new album, goes down to the screaming crowd, waves good-bye and calls it a day.

You are blinded by the sales. 

Musically, she continues to show a knack for great melodies. But production-wise, she gets a little monotonous. I like Honeymoon, but I tend to skip the songs after a certain point. 

Honestly her sound is just too big, too cinematic to work on CD ... the digital compression ruins the dynamics and subtlety that she deserves. But you know what I think about that already. 

(How many people have to complain before we say "enough" to the Loudness Wars? That sort of style works for Taylor Swift, but it really doesn't work for her.)

I agree a lot with this. I feel like Lana is really staying in an artistic "safe zone" and that's part of the reason why she won't perform on TV or anything. We know she hustled back when she went under Lizzy Grant, performing everywhere, and I think she's said that she sees herself as a singer. But... singers sing. It's disappointing that she seems unwilling to perform or promote a lot of her new material.

Lyrically, she continues to write awkward lyrics that circle around similar themes. I wrote once that Honeymoon feels like a parody of an LDR song, and while I have since warmed greatly to the song, the lyrics still feel like someone went through a checklist of Lana references. Being misunderstood? Unusual sexual metaphor? Ill-advised mention of violence? Loving a bad boy? It's like those "Lana Del Rey song title generators" that were popular in the year following Born To Die's release. While I think Lana revisiting certain themes makes her stand out among her contemporaries (we wouldn't have Lanalysis if she didn't have such revered items as diet mountain dew, the chateau marmont, or pink flamingos), it's really easy for it to feel like a retread as opposed to a thread tying her world together.

Musically, she continues to show a knack for great melodies. But production-wise, she gets a little monotonous. I like Honeymoon, but I tend to skip the songs after a certain point. When 24 actually starts sounding like the Bond theme it was meant to be, it's great, but the build-up to that part of the song is excruciatingly slow. I literally forget Religion is on the tracklist every time I listen to the album. Similarly, I don't remember how the verses of Art Deco go. God Knows I Tried is a beautiful song, but someone should have told her "okay, stop here." Having the equivalent of a musical editor isn't "compromising your vision." Art doesn't have to be a one-man process. On a positive note, the bridge of TLY is probably one of my favorite musical+lyrical moments in her entire discography, and the best one on Honeymoon. I get chills listening to it every single time. :defeated: 

Visually, I haven't really cared for her official music videos much in general. I like her homemade videos because they're so innocent and direct. It's the closest you can get to having a visual representation of what Lana pictured when she made that song. I wish she would bring that lo-fi but intimate quality back. I mean, she's rich, she can probably afford to clear the rights for her clips and have better quality shots of her, so it doesn't need to be some 240p artifact-ridden mess. It was so unique; none of her contemporaries have done anything like that, to my knowledge.

Honestly, if I'm frustrated with Lana, it's because I feel she could be doing so much better. We know from her unreleased catalog that she's an incredibly flexible artist. Her voice sounds unique no matter what her range is. Yet I feel like with all her released bodies of work, there's something holding them back. Too self-indulgent at times? Some poor song choices? Lazy lyrics weighing down otherwise beautiful songs? I have a hard time explaining what it is. But I just really want Lana to deliver that album that's going to be (almost) universally recognized as an enduring body of work. Her "Dark Side of the Moon," if you will (no, that's not my favorite Floyd album, but it's a solid one and that's undeniable). If sales are anything to go by, BTD is the closest she's come to that - it's the album that refuses to die. I love Lana so much, I want the best for her artistically and commercially (and any word that ends with a -ly) but I feel like she's holding herself back and I don't know why. Is she afraid of her potential? Afraid of success? Afraid of being the object of the internet's scorn again?

I'm certain that everyone else here who has expressed disappointment at Lana's artistic/commercial choices feels the same way I do - we feel Lana isn't doing her best or not getting the recognition she deserves; we just all have different ideas on what the ideal is or how to achieve it.

I'm gonna go listen to Honeymoon now because for all the flaws I've listed, it's still one of my favorite albums of 2015.

Nice written thought out posts from you 2. I agree with alot of what you guys are saying.

I'll post a long one soon too..but i agree with these views as well alot of what @

was talking about in his post a few post up..

I think in the case of UV it was really just because she didn't care for the record after it dropped.

See, I don't care about ppl on here and other places who come for Lana and post bullshit like "OMG Halsey and Melanie Martinez released better records", because they totally didn't.

The only thing that is frustrating is that she actually leaves room with her decisions when making an album for others to claim enough space to run with something she started with. 

Same with Lorde, now Halsey. 

And she is very competitve actually. I mean, this is the same woman who talked about other females trying to steal her thunder and how she was pissed about it. And rightfully so, just by the way.

You are blinded by the sales. 

Elephant in the room that people keep trying to ignore.

I think some people invest themselves in artists for the wrong reasons. Lana would roll her eyes at so many of these posts. If you guys are all under the age of 20 then I'll cut you some slack tho. lol

I do agree to a certain extent that it is a little bit disappointing that she is not "stepping out" of her comfort zone, specially after how good Ultraviolence is and how different it is to her previous records, at least when it comes to production.

However, I don't think that Honeymoon is a bad record, at all. I love all the songs and while I don't find the highs to be as good as Ultraviolence, I can listen and appreciate all the songs. Honeymoon is your typical Lana album and I think that it got an amazing execution and maybe it is just what she needed after Ultraviolence. Nevertheless, it is fundamental that she evolves and changes her style for the next album because this trick won't work for another consecutive release.

zXzLCRU.png

Elephant in the room that people keep trying to ignore.

I think some people invest themselves in artists for the wrong reasons. Lana would roll her eyes at so many of these posts. If you guys are all under the age of 20 then I'll cut you some slack tho. lol

This is a place for her fans, not Lana or what she actually thinks. It's what we think. Every single one of us. The reason why fan forums exist.

I think in the case of UV it was really just because she didn't care for the record after it dropped.

See, I don't care about ppl on here and other places who come for Lana and post bullshit like "OMG Halsey and Melanie Martinez released better records", because they totally didn't.

The only thing that is frustrating is that she actually leaves room with her decisions when making an album for others to claim enough space to run with something she started with. 

Same with Lorde, now Halsey. 

And she is very competitve actually. I mean, this is the same woman who talked about other females trying to steal her thunder and how she was pissed about it. And rightfully so, just by the way.

Thing is, Lorde is kind of a joke, shes not even 18 years old first of all, and she hangs out with idiots like Taylor Swift. People are well aware that she's Lana Del Rey for White Mothers and Children.

Halsley will probably go the same route.

People aren't stupid. Lana Del Rey originated the image and sound that set off a firestorm of fashion trends and musical trends. Everyone gets called out for copying Lana now, and it's amusing.

It's a lot like when Lady Gaga's ripping off of Madonna culminated in a song that no one liked and her career has more or less been an afterthought since. The public has never taken too kindly to second-rate imitations of ANYONE. I can give you maybe another dozen examples too.

You shouldn't always criticise people when they are not feeling it and make it look like it's not her fault. 

But admit it that you are acting like this because she isnt doing anything with the album and that disappoints you lol. It's ok, my friend. 

This is a place for her fans, not Lana or what she actually thinks. It's what we think. Every single one of us. The reason why fan forums exist.

And that's fine, but if you guys have frustrations about the way Lana expresses herself or makes her money, they should have a more legitimate foundation to stand on other than "WHY CAN'T SHE SELL ALBUMS LIKE LORDE :((((( "

Otherwise you really do sound kind of sad.