naachoboy

Unpublished quotes from the 2014 Complex interview.

can i be your step mum?

tumblr_nbsrnkZPZS1rlfl6ro3_500.png

I don't mind if it means I got tha binch :hooker: oh my God I love her so much literally 99.9% of my time here is spent trying hard not scream my eternal adoration look at this lil cutie pie she's the most beautiful when she's in love candids from this day make me extremely happy

ZKcaooE.png

I loved this demo I did with Justin Parker, who I wrote a lot of things with like “Video Games” and “Born to Die,” “National Anthem,” and Ferdy Unger-Hamilton at EMI hated the song.

I'm curious what song this was and whether it's one we have or not. Is there a Justin Parker co-write that fits the bill?

It’s actually why I signed with my initial label, 5 Points Records, because the boss there, David, was great friends with Loudon, their father.

I signed with my first manager because he was managing Martha six years ago

This seems to be a pattern with her, picking people to work with on the business side based on their association with people she idolizes. I've also heard she once worked with an attorney because Jeff Buckley had been his client.

Probably my manager, who is still my manager, Ben Mawson, over the last four years. He doesn’t smoke anymore, but he used to smoke more than me and drink 12 beers a day. I met him, he told me to just come to London and I did. I just went and met him. I think they were at Shoreditch House, so we went on the roof and had a cigarette. He felt like I was really worried about everything, and he told me that he had a plan and that everything was going to go OK and not to worry.

He tells me to shut up I got this

You taste like the fourth of July

Malt liquor on your breath my my

You can be be the boss, daddy, you can be the boss

Taste like a keg party back on the sauce

Why do I think too much?

You tell me not to worry because you're the boss

And you, you got a real good plan

My trouble's all over now because you're my man

:benmawson:

I was writing that Paradise edition, and originally was writing it as a follow-up record, but nobody wanted to release something eight months later. It ended up being a re-release-slash-second edition

For example, the bonus tracks on this record I didn’t feel like had any relation to the atmosphere of the record itself. I think iTunes was like, “You would have trouble promoting a record if it didn’t have a deluxe edition,” so, there’s stuff like that.

Wow, there's just a lot of interesting inside baseball about the dynamics between her and her label in these old outtakes. And a few details that relate to some stuff I've been researching that I'll have more to say about later. :creep:

That love doesn’t come easily and that relationships are supposed to be a struggle. I think that everything else is so hard that hopefully love is the one thing that actually is the fun part of it. have had some very practical, down-to-earth advice about love that I choose not to follow. It’s the same with money too. You’re supposed to work your whole life, work really hard for everything you get. I think maybe a better strategy is to just fall in love with what you do and hope that whatever you make from that monetarily is enough to have an easy life.

Not sure that's worked out so well for her in the first case, and I think she was just really fortunate in the second.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

"I was having a moment backstage and Rufus came to say “Hi,” and I was trying to compliment him in between stifled sobs. I think he thought I was insane."

:deadbanana: you have to love her  :toofunny: 

tumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo1_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo2_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo4_250.gif

I'm curious what song this was and whether it's one we have or not. Is there a Justin Parker co-write that fits the bill?

This seems to be a pattern with her, picking people to work with on the business side based on their association with people she idolizes. I've also heard she once worked with an attorney because Jeff Buckley had been his client.

Why do I think too much?

Wow, there's just a lot of interesting inside baseball about the dynamics between her and her label in these old outtakes. And a few details that relate to some stuff I've been researching that I'll have more to say about later. :creep:

Not sure that's worked out so well for her in the first case, and I think she was just really fortunate in the second.

I think she meant that Ride was written with Justin parker, but the label didnt like it so they send her to work with Rick Rubin

Why do I think too much?

wait :rip: 

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_tumblr_stati

Rick Rubin has the greatest of reputations of putting the pieces together musically, while bringing out the best of the artist in the process. From Johnny Cash's comeback years ago, to Red Hot Chili Peppers, Shakira, Metallica Kanye and more. Check an intercept from an interview below that explains his method. Taken from a Forbes interview http://www.forbes.com/sites/ruthblatt/2014/04/28/how-super-producer-rick-rubin-gets-people-to-do-their-best-work/. So it was pretty cool to read Lana's point of view on how everything happened for Ride.

“Many people don’t listen,” Rubin told me. “If you listen carefully, people explain to you what it is that they need.” Rubin gets artists to open up about their deeper motives. “I’ll spend time with an artist and listen very carefully to what they tell me and get them to talk about their true goals, their highest, highest goals,” he said. “We’ll go back to the heart of why they started doing what they are doing in the first place.”

Meditation helps people accept the full range of their experience, the good as well as the bad, the light as well as the dark. Rubin applies this non-judgment stance to help the artists he works with open up their creativity. “One of the main things I always try to do is to create an environment where the artist feels pretty comfortable being naked,” he said. “That kind of a safety zone where their guard is completely let down and they can truly be themselves and feel open to exposing themselves. It’s very powerful when people do that, when people really open up.”

Based on his conversations with each artist, Rubin figures out how to support their strengths and downplay their weaknesses. Which is how he can work with such a wide spectrum of artists. For example, he encourages some artists to write while they are driving because that the attention they devote to driving prevents them from second-guessing themselves. For one artist who was struggling with lyrics, he invented a game with magnetic poetry to help him access his intuition about what the songs meant to him."

On Doing “Ride” With Rick Rubin

I was writing that Paradise edition, and originally was writing it as a follow-up record, but nobody wanted to release something eight months later. It ended up being a re-release-slash-second edition, and I loved this demo I did with Justin Parker, who I wrote a lot of things with like “Video Games” and “Born to Die,” “National Anthem,” and Ferdy Unger-Hamilton at EMI hated the song. So I think him and Rick had been talking and Rick was like, “What’s going on with Lana? Can she come over, I hear she’s in L.A.” I think I had been over to say “Hi” to him first. Just to say “​hi.” We took a walk in Santa Monica—he takes the same walking route every morning. Then a few weeks later I brought him “Ride,” and he really liked it. Working with him was good, I was still in my old car, my old Mercedes that was barely making it down that hour-and-a-half drive down to Shangri-La Studios in Malibu, and it was really good. He has this sprawling lawn with all these bunnies and palm trees. He was very relaxed. It was good.

Why do I think too much?

Wait are you implying that "On Our Way" is about her manager :deadbanana:

On the Most Important Person She Ever Shared a Cigarette With

Probably my manager, who is still my manager, Ben Mawson, over the last four years. He doesn’t smoke anymore, but he used to smoke more than me and drink 12 beers a day.

What do you mean "used to" drink 12 beers a day?  ;)