SugarVenom

Ride Headdress Controversey

You guys don't really understand at all. Half the time on the forum i'm just like :facepalm:. You guys really don't understand it at all. You're constantly comparing it to other situations and other cultures but there is no other culture or type of oppression that native americans endured and still endure today. I don't understand how people can defend something because it's Beautiful and looks amazing but has no meaning behind it, but say "Fuck off, come one, are you serious?" When people try to defend something that is so damn sacred and special to a lot of people when it's being sexualized, misused, and shit on. It really makes me question what people stand for.

It's like vanity overrules your humanity when it comes to this whole headdress situation.

http://nativeappropriations.blogspot.ca/2010/04/but-why-cant-i-wear-hipster-headdress.html

You guys don't really understand at all. Half the time on the forum i'm just like :facepalm:. You guys really don't understand it at all. You're constantly comparing it to other situations and other cultures but there is no other culture or type of oppression that native americans endured and still endure today. I don't understand how people can defend something because it's Beautiful and looks amazing but has no meaning behind it, but say "Fuck off, come one, are you serious?" When people try to defend something that is so damn sacred and special to a lot of people when it's being sexualized, misused, and shit on. It really makes me question what people stand for.

It's like vanity overrules your humanity when it comes to this whole headdress situation.

http://nativeappropr...-headdress.html

Racism, though. Your entire post is absolutely true, but this thread in particular is addressing claims that she is a racist and that's she's exploiting native heritage for money. I'm sorry, but that's way beyond whatever ignorance she did actually exhibit in the video.

I'm sioux, who actually wore headdresses. I've never heard of tribal unity in terms of traditions, the differences in traditions is something that all the natives that i've met take much pride in. The main problem i've always heard was people seeing "indians" as a single tribe rather than the 562 federally recognized tribes each with different traditions and culture. By simply wearing a "Indian" costume or a headdress (which is the main thing people think of when they think of "indians"), it further perpetuates that idea of the native american being singular rather than each tribe being individual. To me her wearing it, even if it was just for fun, fashion, or some bull shit metaphor, it's just a step in the wrong direction. I'm sick of natives being halloween costumes or sports teams or cigarette mascots.

Either way i think i've proven my point as best as I can.

Another reason I hate it is because of the scene that it's in. It would be different if she was just standing in the desert looking pouty.

Also the reach she has, most people don't have the background knowledge to understand why it's a problem and are just going to say "oh it looks cool, i'm gonna wear a headdress for a concert"

Okay I can see how people can find the video offensive. I mean, she's not just wearing a headdress but she's wearing it whilst surrounded by disruptive fire and motorcycles.

But, she has explained it's a personal reason and clearly understands that the situation needed clearing up and the person who made the flyer knew this so, imo, this is way too far and calling her racist stereotype is awful.

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

Also the reach she has, most people don't have the background knowledge to understand why it's a problem and are just going to say "oh it looks cool, i'm gonna wear a headdress for a concert"

Now that's a good point. To all Lana fans: If you go to see her live, please stick with a novelty flower wreath and not a headress.

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif